Great Western Express Add-on Pack

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by InspectorTiger, Aug 2, 2019.

1. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

Now that TSW has been out for a while, it's great to see existing routes getting updates which add new locos and services (such as the Heavy Freight pack for Northern Trans-Pennine). It adds replay value to the existing DLCs, with new scenarios and services to do, and it makes the route feel more 'alive' and realistic, with more stock sitting around and more AI traffic running on the line.

Supposing there were to be a similar add-on for Great Western Express, what would you like to see in it?

I love the 66 on this route, so I'd like to see it get more freight services and scenarios. Tees Valley Line has a really nice mix of freight work, including loading and unloading, short moves, and longer trips where you can get up to speed on the main line. More of this kind of thing for GWE would be great.

Adding the class 08 or 09 to this route, with some shunting work, rescue runs, and repair jobs (think NTP's 'Three Becomes Two'), would spice it up too, without requiring a whole new loco. I don't know what other existing locos from other DLCs would be period/region-appropriate; I'm sure someone here does.

If there were to be a new loco for this route, assuming licensing and so on could be sorted out, what would you vote for?

Even if there were to be no new (or new-to-this-route) locos, I'd still love to see more scenarios. I know scenarios are very labour-intensive to create, compared to individual services, but they're also a whole lot more fun. I regularly replay things like 'Christmas Closures' and 'Drag Line' just because they're a little out of the ordinary and you get to do things that don't happen in service mode. I would willingly pay for an add-on pack even if it just contained a bunch of new scenarios and services for the existing stock.

• Like Like x 13
  2. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Definitely more freight and shunting. Class 59, Class 70?

• Like Like x 2
  3. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

And to add this route Oxford as Expansion finally, Paddington to Reading is too short 58 Kilometer

• Like Like x 7
  4. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Class 387’s
    And 800

Dovetail could do a new GWE with 387’s and 800’s since it would be too complicated to update the existing one because...

1. The OHLE (overhead wiring) is visual only
    2. That would be changing simugraph data

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

An extension from Reading to Oxford and/or Swindon via Didcot Parkway would be a good choice in my opinion.

At the moment, the HST services are no where near as frequent as they should be, as several services are missing from service mode. So this could enable more HST services to be introduced and combined with the current service mode.

There is also the potential to add both more interesting and realistic freight services, compared to what we have now.

• Like Like x 6
  6. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

The entire route is boring to drive from Paddington to Reading in 25 minutes with the Class 43, they should give us what we want, the new Class 800 and drive to Bristol and Cardiff and the Class 387 to Oxford

• Like Like x 3
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Speak to the license holders for the 800 and 387 then as this would be what is stopping DTG from producing them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. UnlimitedMagic

Siemens and Bombardier
    They manufactured the trains

9. UnlimitedMagic

Banbury?

10. londonmidland

Oxford would be a far more logical choice, as most GWR services start and terminate there, as well as the stabling point for the 166’s.

• Like Like x 3
  11. UnlimitedMagic

Ok

And it’s nice to see your back on forums

12. deancalder15

deancalder15 Active Member

Could be extensions from Reading to Cardiff routes in Great Western Express. Class 387 used London to Reading formation 12 car peak times and 8 car off peak time.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

Cardiff and Bristol are way too far for the moment, Oxford and Swindon would be pushing it but Didcot is doable.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget that their latest release was 50 miles or so, and given that the densest part of the route would be from PAD - Reading they could do quite substantial chunks from there on, if they wished to put the dev time in

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Any addition to GWR would be welcome, either loco or route extension, i undetand DTG would rather make new routes for the time being,which is fair enougb but surely with this amount of requests/popularity for something extra for GWR then surely its only a matter of when, not if DTG give us what we all want

16. UnlimitedMagic

Just Oxford
    You could put just Oxford

17. Ross12

Ross12 New Member

This would definitely be something I would buy. As long as it came with an 800, 387 and maybe a few other trains for me to dos around on,I would get it. Also, I would wish for something like Guard Mode, where you control the trains doors from the rear cab. Finally, more yard work, uncoupling trains, shunting etc.

18. londonmidland

Great Western Express is set in 2015 and its non update-able so the only add-ons you can have for it really is the Class 165 or a freight pack.

19. RichGWR22

RichGWR22 Member

i would like to see a Freightliner livery for the 66 and the First Great Western blue Livery for hst and 166. It would also be nice to have a class 165 turbo

• Like Like x 1
  20. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Well what happened to the devs who did the class 390 in Intercity Swallow livery; why not do this for TSW as many have figured out how to repaint without an editor.

Unless advertising that you can back door the engine is a no go area. I wonder

21. Ross12

Ross12 New Member

You could have like an extension pack that you can buy if you have the first one. Different route but all the same accept electrified...

22. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

An extension would be fantastic. I think if we were getting a straight forward GWR or Heathrow Express dlc it would have been released by now. Maybe if they have good relations with DB then could offer a class 60 in DB red or EWS, add lots and lots of different wagons. Could also update the intermodal service with containers from RRO? Aswell as the WSR railtour layer.

23. Ross12

Ross12 New Member

Sadly, I think that Heathrow Express has refused a Licensing Agreement with DTG, so it seems that there is no possibility for Heathrow Express Trains. They could overcome this by simply un-branding and slightly re-liverying the trains but I doubt they would do that...

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ross12

Ross12 New Member

I think any major extension would be a definite no. This is why some people are trying to push for C2C lines cause they are sight on the verge of definitely too long, but a rare possibility...