1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Western Railway Full Route

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by connorburn1, Sep 2, 2018.

?

would you like to see this in the game

Poll closed Apr 2, 2019.
  1. Yes

88.9%
  2. No

11.1%
  1. connorburn1

connorburn1 Member

CFA73159-C41B-493B-B0CF-8BC6D6F1B71F.png I would like to see the full route done for the great western railway

• Upvote Upvote x 11
  2. Karl456

Karl456 Member

Unfortunately, the map you posted doesn't let me know what you mean saying "the full route". Actually, I see a network of routes and not a single route on the map. So I assume that the Great Western Mainline begins at London Paddington - but where does it end? In Swansea, Bristol, Penzance or Exeter? I'm not from the UK so I don't know too much about GWR...:|

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  3. PomPomCookie

PomPomCookie Member

Hello,
    I think he means the full network. Even though it's unlikely DTG would make such a complex network of routes, if they did you better believe me I would be one of the first to get it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    • Upvote Upvote x 2
  4. connorburn1

connorburn1 Member

CF7306C5-1C21-440E-A688-83ABA9C7C740.png This any better zoom in if you can

5. PomPomCookie

PomPomCookie Member

Hello,
    BTW According to wikipedia the Great Western Mainline runs from London Paddington - Brisol Temple Meads.

• Upvote Upvote x 3
    • Downvote Downvote x 1
  6. Karl456

Karl456 Member

Ah okay, thanks for these useful information and the map. If you really mean Great Western Mainline from Paddington to Bristol then this route would be approximately double the length of the current route. That would be quite acceptable for DTG I think and seems realistic as the work effort is not too immense. Personally I'd love to see some branch lines to drive on, so it wouldn't be so boring as it is at the moment when we just ride from Paddington to Reading and back to Paddington. Services to Bristol might bring some more variety to the game, that's true. But if we had branch lines, the amount of possible scenarios and services would increase enormously. Just imagine: We could drive tourists to Windsor Castle and back to Slough where they change for a train to London or Reading or Bristol. Or they get out at Didcot Parkway where they take the branch line to Banbury. And furthermore we could deliver some goods to regional industries which adds tons of new shunting opportunities. So a branch line extension also supports "freight lovers".
    But ideally we get both: A route extension and also a branch line add-on. And me, too, would be one of the first to buy this as I really love the scenery and the route. It's just a little boring at the moment as I described above.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    • Upvote Upvote x 4
  7. connorburn1

connorburn1 Member

Mate I agree with everything you have said this why I’m trying to reach the developers to please work on the main line and other because people know that you are not done

8. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Member

I live just a few miles away from Maidenhead (in fact, Taplow station is right on my doorstep), and the Marlow Branch is a very pretty little line that could be quite fun to operate in TSW. Start at Maidenhead, go out through the suburbs and over to Cookham, then into the station at Bourne End to reverse before coming out and then running the Marlow Donkey along the River Thames to Marlow and back again. It's a short branch, but it's got 5 stations and is operated solely by Networker Turbos (which will eventually be replaced by Electrostars), so it should be well within DT's reach to implement somehow.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  9. PomPomCookie

PomPomCookie Member

Hello,
    Just to let you know, the line from London Paddington - Reading is 36 miles, while the line London Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads is 118.375 miles, so the full GWML is approximately 3.2 times the length of GWE (according to Wikipedia & Google).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    • Upvote Upvote x 2
  10. PomPomCookie

PomPomCookie Member

Hello,
    I having just read the remainder of what I hadn't read on this forum, I can see it's attracting a lot of attention. I think the Marlow branch line would be a great extension to the existing GWE, as well as the Henley-on-Thames branch line, Windsor & Eton Central branch line, Greenford branch line and Heathrow branch line (if DTG released the Heathrow Express Class 332 or the Class 387 that they'll use soon and the TFL Rail Class 360). Another nice thing would be for DTG to release the Class 387 and 800/802, as these are what's replacing GWR's current fleet and otherwise it's pointless having all the catenary on one end of the line if they don't release the Class 387 or something. They could also electrify the whole line and then run the 387 the whole way.

11. MLG_TrumpCare

MLG_TrumpCare Active Member

I think the full route might be a bit much, but an extension to Didcot, Swindon, or Oxford might be cool

• Downvote Downvote x 2
    • Upvote Upvote x 1
  12. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Member

The original GWML route that's existed since the RailWorks era runs all the way down to Oxford too - it's strange that DTG didn't include that bit of the route when making the Great Western Express DLC.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  13. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

The reason the route was only the section from London to Reading is that DTG only has limited time to create routes. As DTG was new to the tools when GWE was created there was only enough time to create the route as far as Reading. As DTG's experience with the tools improves, longer routes will be created.

In my opinion some sort of extension probably will happen for GWE either by DTG or a third party at some point in the future. An extension to Oxford would be good allowing for longer services with the HST which isn't as good operating short services and also more variety in class 166 and class 66 services.

• Upvote Upvote x 3
  14. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

to me the GWE Route should get a modern update to look like what it is today and release a class 800 and 387 and extend it to Oxford cause then you drive on diesel to reading then swap to electric and continue to Paddington.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  15. DANNYBOY2487

DANNYBOY2487 Active Member

following on from my last post i reckon Just Trains will do a TSW version of their Western Mainlines one day

16. LT586

LT586 Active Member

I am not sure if the devs see this or content builders but this is a must let me say why as well.

Dawlish, imagine with UE4 the scenic routes and railtours you could do if you added a Class 52/50 to the mix.

Plymouth with Laira Depot to navigate round, the Freight run from Avonmouth to Bristol. The severn tunnel we could walk the length of (just because you can)

The fact you can walk around makes for such lovely stations and scenery. The Class 800 and all its functions. Full ATP support for speed limits, braking.

With the advanced graphical engine stablility no other game has been this exciting in a long time.

Sorry if these have been mentioned already (I've seen the magic of TSW)

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  17. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Member

An extension to Oxford is quite plausible but to be able to create a network that goes even as far as Bristol would require a top quality PC to even get past 15fps constantly

• Upvote Upvote x 1
    • Downvote Downvote x 1
  18. Keiron Bartlett

Keiron Bartlett New Member

I think this is a great idea, I’m waiting for DTG to create this at some point, Paddington desperately needs an update to modern day as more HSTs are replaced by the Hitachi Class 800/802 and the limited number of Class 166 now replaced by Class 387.

19. jjsmvt

jjsmvt New Member

I would like to see this too!

20. LT586

LT586 Active Member

I keep hearing they'll never go back to this. Not from DTGs own team mind so I'm still optimistic.

21. davieas

davieas New Member

Apologies for the late response:

Just Trains already have their Western mainlines, which essentially IS the full route. You can drive a train from Padd to Penzance in one go (if you so wish).

Even if DTG were to do it all you would need a VERY powerful computer as there would be so many assets that they would need to include and it would take ages to load up.

Superalbs (superalbs.weebly.com) released a GWR 387, a HC 360, a GWR 800 and a GWR 166, so you have it all there

Finally I guy called Thomas released the GWML but electrified, so you have an updated option. I hope to edit this further, extending it to Newbury, tidying up reading and redoing North Pole and OOC. (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1707329091)

22. DB628

DB628 Active Member

Oxford want a first step to make it longer