Greetings From Oldfoxx

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by OldFoxx, Oct 5, 2020.

1. OldFoxx

OldFoxx New Member

As the name implies, I am of the older generation who remembers the tail end of steam. I'm new to this site, though not new to train simulator. I loaded up Microsoft TS back in the day and have been dipping into various train sims ever since. Finished up with TS2015, played for a year or so, then moved onto other games. Now back with TS2021, hoping to stick around a while longer.
    Stay safe to all.

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Greeting from another old dog who remembers steam. Have clocked over 5,000 hours in the five years since I've had TS. There must be something in it that I enjoy.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  3. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Welcome to the Forums OldFoxx, what are your memories of the end of steam?

4. OldFoxx

OldFoxx New Member

I remember in the early 60's as young children we would stand on a foot bridge near my home waiting for the loco to depart the station. As the Engine approached we could here the chug chug chugging getting closer and closer and when it passed underneath us, we would get the full blast of the steam/smoke literally engulfing us as it passed. Had a very distinctive smell too. I visited London Victoria once with my parents to catch a train south. The platforms were busy with passengers alighting or departing from there trains. That distinct smell of Engine Locomotives hung in the air and the noise of trains chugging in or out of the station. As I grew up and moved to senior school, steam trains were being replaced and sadly the experience was never the same.

• Like Like x 1