Gsm-r And Radio Implementation In General

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ant Craft, May 6, 2021.

1. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

So, I have been thinking lately about how DTG wants to reduce our reliance on the tab menu, and after seeing radio implementation in a video about SimRail, I think it'd be a great feature to see in TSW. Now I am from the UK, so I won't be able to talk about other radio systems from say Germany or the US, but I think it'd be great to see working GSM-R for UK trains, or working NRN if the route is set in an older period where NRN was in use.

What would GSM-R let you do?
    GSM-R is implemented in most Armstrong Powerhouse add-ons now in quite a simple, yet effective form where it allows you to register and de-register your train. In TSW, the same thing would easily suffice and add a bit of immersion when driving. Another added feature of it's implementation in TSW could be the addition of letting you contact the signaller. Southeastern High Speed added signaller phone boxes around the line, and GSM-R would let you do a similar thing, but from in the cab of the train. This way, there'd be no reason now to use the tab menu, as we have door controls now, and this would solve the contact signaller one.

Sounds complicated?
    GSM-R isn't complicated at all. To register your train, all you need to do is enter the head code for your train (which is included now in almost all of the service names), as well as the next signal number. So for example, if you were operating 2R37 London Paddington to Reading on GWE, where the first signal is SN23, you'd just enter 2R37 023 into the GSM-R when registering your train.

How easy would it be to implement it?
    It shouldn't be too hard. All modern UK trains in TSW already have the GSM-R unit modelled in the cab in one form or another, so in in order to get it to work, DTG would just need to get the buttons on the model to animate, add the artwork for the screen and add the functionality. Now I am not a developer for TSW, so it could be harder than it sounds, but it should be relatively easy I'd hope. The hardest part would likely be getting the buttons to animate as that'd involve changing the model.

So yes, while a small feature, I think it could really add to the immersion in TSW, especially being able to contact the signaller from in the cab of your train without using the tab menu. Again, as I said in the intro, I can't talk for radio systems in other countries as I am from the UK and have no idea how they work in other countries, but feel free to talk other countries' systems in the comments.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Maybe something that would work well with multiplayer when the latter is implemented.

3. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Yeah, I could see it working really well with multiplayer when that comes.