Gsmr Radio (uk)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Olaf the Snowman, May 24, 2020.

1. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Functional GSMR Radio (UK)

This is the main form of radio communication on trains in the UK and has been in use for several year taking over from the old NRN radio in 2016. This is the primary method of contacting the signaller and can also be used to make emergency calls so all trains in the area can hear your message. You’ll see this in all the cabs of modern UK trains in TSW but they are no functional at all. I’ve listed the potential features the radio could be used for in TSW:

1. Able to register/deregister radio when setting up the cab. You register the cab radio whenever you set the cab up by simply pressing the top right button, entering headcode and then last 3 digits of the signal number.
    2. Able to press the ‘SG’ button when stood at a red signal to let the signaller that you’re stopped and waiting for the signal to change. Then either you will get a ‘Wait’ message or ‘Contact signaller’ message on the GSMR. The former can be used when you request to pass signal at danger and get the ‘no available route’ and the latter can be used when you currently get the “proceed at restricted speed” because by contacting the signaller, he/she will then give you authority to pass signal at danger.
      Example of a situation:
      Current: Stop at red signal; press button on controller/keyboard which says ‘request to pass signal at danger; ‘proceed at restricted speed’ appears on screen
      My idea: Stop at red signal; press ‘SG’ button in GSMR; message appears on GSMR saying ‘ Contact Signaller’; you then press keyboard/controller button which says ‘request to pass signal at danger’ (as you do now); ‘proceed at restricted speed’ appears on screen. Otherwise if you had ‘Wait’ appear on GSMR radio, you obviously wouldn’t ask to pass signal at danger.
      In the distant future, when multiplayer becomes a thing and there is a real human acting as a signaller, instead of pressing a button to request to pass signal at danger, you can press the button on the radio to contact the signaller and speak with your headset.
    3. Railway Emergency call: Conversation between signaller and another driver (AI) about an emergency so if you receive this message/alarm followed by a broadcast where you can hear the conversation between signaller and driver, you need to stop immediately. E.g. trespassers, fire, problem with OHLE, etc... This is the best you’re going to get with regard to radio chatter in the UK assuming there is no multiplayer and human signaller. You are then able to press ‘ST’ button on the GSMR to let the signaller know that you’ve come to a stop. Perhaps they could make scenarios where you have to do an emergency stop following an emergency call.

One last thing I’d like to comment about is repeatability. All modern trains have a GSMR radio so once they develop this feature, they can easily transfer this on all future modern traction/routes. This is important because it means they won’t spend loads of time to develop a feature that can only be used on just one traction or one route such as Automatic Train Protection on GWE. Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed it.

Here is a picture of a GSMR radio and I’ve labelled all the relevant buttons I’ve spoken about (I’ve numbered it as I’ve done above) Just for information- or at least until multiplayer is made where you can make calls- I’ve shown how to contact the signaller in blue. Normal call and an urgent call just connects you to the controlling signaller. An emergency call will connect you to the signaller but also connect you to all trains in the area so they can hear your conversation between you and the signaller.

F0972924-70EA-4F65-8F1D-179278934E43.jpeg

If your train headcode was 2D16 and you were standing at the below signal when setting up the cab, you would do the following:

C3044444-CB2A-4AA7-BDCA-A601CF59B943.jpeg
    1. Press the circled red/label 1 button in the picture above
    2. Enter ‘2D16146’ in (2D16 being the headcode and 146 being the last 3 digits of the signal)
    3. Press the tick button to confirm
    4. When demobilising the cab, you need to deregister. To deregister, press the circled red button and press tick. But you can actually skip this step because whenever you take your key out, it will (or should) automatically deregister the radio anyway.
    For all the Americans out there, signaller is essentially what you would call a dispatcher. Although confusingly, we also have dispatchers in the UK that do a very different role. Simply put, dispatchers stand on platforms helping to dispatch trains by sending a handsignal to the driver or guard when to close the doors and when to depart.

• Like Like x 7
  2. 66050

66050 Active Member

Fantastic idea. However for console players, this could be a problem as the GSMR has many buttons, in a tight space. I’m sure that DTG said in one of their streams that this is the reason why they haven’t implemented the GSMR into the game yet. Enabling full mouse and keyboard support on console could make the GSMR more likely to come to the game!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Good point, I didn’t really consider this. Maybe it could be like the TMS on the Class 377 or like the EM2000 device on the Class 66 device where you are able to zoom in using the internal camera. Granted the GSMR radio is smaller but just an idea.
    8D6AAF34-7822-49BA-9DB9-F10497D15806.jpeg 3C610687-6A85-4D6C-9F83-81CE594BCB2D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2