Gwr 1400 Water Gauge Only Shows Full

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VolvoB10M, Sep 18, 2021.

1. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

Edit: I am going to re-write this post since the original one did not make any sense due to me posting it while tired.

I have been struggling to use the GWR 14xx tank as I can't seem to read the boiler water gauge. It seems as if the gauge is showing full as it does not move when I lift the gauge isolating lever, but shows as empty when I lift the blowdown valve, if I return the lever to the lowered position it also continues to show as full, further checks including lifting the isolating lever as it was not clear if it was open or was showing an incorrect level due to the valve being closed. However, despite there appearing to be water at all times I end up somehow running out. I have it in advanced mode but I can't seem to get the gauge to show anything that isn't full or blowdown and empty.

Is there way to get the water to show as it is or is there another way to tell with these without turning off advanced mode?

[Section that was here redacted as it is not relevant to this community and I don't know why it was even there to begin with]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2021
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Which route did this loco come with or is it a stand alone DLC?

3. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

It is the GWR 1400 that was stand alone on Steam.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Edit:

In light of this...

I'm removing my original reply too. :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Are you driving in advanced mode? (CTRL+A I think). Some features don't work in the simple mode designed for use with the HUD.
    Also note the 1400 Class is an older Victory Works model and may not have all the features of their newer releases.

6. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Welcome to advanced Steam Locos.
    The GWR14xx is up there with the best when it comes to a challenge to drive.
    The knack with this particular Loco is "KILO"
    L/R KI - LO
    I & O open the valves to let water / steam flow
    K & L (Shift K / Shift L) regulates how much water / steam you are injecting.
    Play around with the settings and see how you go.
    You have to listen with your ears for the change of sound and watch the gauges to see if if you are setting them correctly.
    It ain't easy to start with but you soon get the knack with practice.
    I'll be honest if you are new to kettles I would advise to start with something a little easier to start with and work your way up to this baby............ or just hit CTRL+ A to turn off advance function.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

Sorry if I made it seem like it was targeting anyone here, I did not mean to aim that at anyone here. I have had sarcastic responses from a few different places, a couple of times after I asked questions relating to TS/Railworks when I have asked questions about TS/RW but I started posting here when I started using Train Sim World 2 and after starting to use TS/RW again so I must have automatically assumed there was a good chance I might attract the same people. I was also tired when I posted it which is why the original did not make any sense. I have completely rewritten the original post too as it was an absolute mess.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2021
  8. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

No worries, if you check further up you'll see I edited my response too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I have tried getting this to work but I always end up with it causing damage due to too much water or running out of water. I followed the manual but I can only get the sight gauge to show as either full or empty with the lever up or down, it is not possible to tell. What is the way to get the correct indication on the sight gauge?