Route Hamburg S1 S-bahn: Wedel–poppenbüttel

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by WonterRail, Aug 5, 2022.

1. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Welcome to another 'Rush Hour' route suggestion and in this one, we are actually going back to somewhere that we have covered before in this series. I know you could say about a couple of the suggestions that I have done so far, but in this case, we will be returning to Hamburg Hbf.

Last time we where here, we covered a route that I felt would be a much worthwhile route than the current one we have now, Hamburg–Lübeck. In that case, that route was Hamburg – Hannover, which ended up going down really well with everyone, especially over the fact that the route had the potential to come with an ICE 1, one of the more iconic trains in Germany. That probably remains my favourite suggestion that I've done on this forum so far.

But today, on the subject of Hamburg – Lübeck, we will tackling another of one of that routes biggest sticking points, the S-Bahn line that runs between Hbf and Hasselbrook, the line in question is the S1 line and this suggested isn't me suggested that someone should make a loco add-on that would only add AI services to that part of the route, but rather a seperate route that would be an adaptation of the entire S1 line, running from Wedel in the west, to Poppenbüttel in the east, along with the branch to the airport and so much more as we will cover in this suggestion.

But first...

What he said in that post

Click here to see all the other routes that featured and vote in the poll if you haven't already.

The Route Itself

Let me start this by going back to that thread talking about improving the timetables on the existing routes. Now when covering Hamburg–Lübeck, I did bring up the S-Bahn line on that route and I pointed out that, not only that two of the S-Bahn stations weren't accessible, but for such a small section between Hbf and Hasselbrook, it would be pointless to waste so much effort making a loco for this section when it's only going to be doing services that last around 7 minutes. I therefore thought it would be a better idea to put that effort towards a full-blown Hamburg S-Bahn route, using the lines featured on that route as a starting point (In which this case, those lines are S1 & S11).

Now luckily for us, those lines in question (or at the very least, S1) had already been adapted for TS Classic back in 2016, which I believe was also a extension for the Hamburg–Lübeck route that already existed over there back then, sort of (I was more the existing Hamburg–Lübeck was thrown in alongside the new S1 route, rather than this being a genuine route extension for that route). However for this suggestion, I will make it a stand-alone route, rather than it being an route extension for the TSW2 version of Hamburg–Lübeck.

I feel like a route like this does have a lot of promise, like for example, this is a third-rail S-Bahn route, like the S25/26 Heart of Berlin suggestion that we already covered. Plus, the trains that run on this route are also very similar in design to the ones that run on the Berlin S-Bahn network. But this route would be a lot bigger and probably busier as well. Not just in the amount of services running on the route, but also from other routes adding AI track to the non-S-Bahn lines running alongside. Plus, like the Hamburg-Hannover suggestion, this route would again succeed in being a far more worthwhile route utilising Hamburg Hbf than the current route we have now and also has the additional perk of being the route to utilise the S-Bahn platforms at that station, something the current routes doesn't do (and even the previous Hamburg suggestion, useless you take the locos from this route and make it run services on the S-Bahn lines of that route, which would be quite small).

Now we've had a brief introduction to the route, let's now see what it looks like on a map.

Map of the Whole Route
    Hamburg S1 S-Bahn 1.PNG
    Section between Wedel & Blankenese
    Hamburg S1 S-Bahn 2.PNG
    Central section around Altona & Hbf
    Hamburg S1 S-Bahn 3.PNG
    Section between Ohlsdorf & either Poppenbüttel or Flughafen
    Hamburg S1 S-Bahn 4.PNG
    So going over the stats of the route, it is 31.5 Miles (50.6 km) long. This includes the main section between Wedel, Blankenese & Poppenbüttel (25.4 Miles or 40.9 km), the 1.4 Mile (2.3 km) branch to Hamburg Airport (Flughafen), the 4.2 Miles (6.7 km) that makes up the S3/11/21 Lines serving the likes of Dammtor, Holstenstraße & Diebsteich and an additional 0.4 Mile (0.7 km) of track that makes up the area around Ohlsdorf Workshop, which is also the routes only depot. The route does come with plenty of stations though, 34 in total (30 on the main route and an additional 4 on the S3/11/21 lines, but more when we get to that).

Now I might have said that this route is similar to S25 Heart of Berlin, purely by the fact that they are both third-rail S-Bahn lines and the train designs for each are very similar, but as far as similarities go, that's where they end because in terms of a route layout, this route is a lot larger, not in terms of the length, as it's only about three miles longer in terms of total track length than the Berlin route, but rather in the way the track is laid out, and let me tell you, this is far from your typical A to B route as it's take quite a journey to get from one destination to the other.

To get an idea of how unique and usual this route is, let me run through the entire route, starting at Wedel and ending and Poppenbüttel. So the route starts with a single track section that goes as far as Blankenese, featuring two passing points at Rissen and Sülldorf. Then at Blankenese, the route changes direction, so you come into the station and then reverse back out again heading towards the centre of Hamburg. From what I could gather, the reason the route was like this is because when this route was originally built in the 1880's, going directly from Blankenese to Wedel would have required a tunnel, so building the route the way it is meant this was avoided. It does make this part of the route quite unique and brings it's own challenges about how you tackle services in this area. Do you either have full-line runs complete it in two parts, with Blankenese being the centre point? Or do you just have services complete the entire route in one go? Answers on a postcard I presume.

After Blankenese, the route turns into a double-tracked line, before splitting into two paths heading towards, and eventually joining back up again at Hamburg Hbf. This is probably the most noteworthy thing you can see on the map and what would probably be busiest part of the route. Now our route (S1) would take the bottom path which heads past Altona and into the underground portion of the route, which also has 4 more station down here, before emerging on the approach to Hbf. Now as far as I'm aware, the top portions which passes by the likes of Holstenstraße and Dammtor, was on the original TS Classic route, but was there for AI only. In my suggestion, I feel like this area should be fully done up and accessible so that we can have the full S11 services on this route, which runs from Poppenbüttel to as far as Blankenese via this section. It would certainly look a lot better than this service terminating at Hbf, heading out via AI towards this section and then reappearing for the last leg at Bahrenfeld. This also helps when trying to get some more drivable services from existing German stock in TSW2, but more on that later. You may also notice that Diebsteich is includes as part of the map, this is in order to help better represent some of the other S-Bahn services that run on this route like S21 & S3 by giving them a decent westbound start/end point, rather than having this be awkwardly out on the main route at Holstenstraße.

After joining back up again at Hbf, we then have the HBK section as far as Hasselbrook, where our line heads north and follows the path of the freight bypass from Wandsbeker Chaussee to as far as Rübenkamp (City Nord), while also passing through Barmbek station, which is home to a depot for the U3 line of the Hamburg U-Bahn network, along with sharing a station with that line. (which the depot part probably wouldn't be accessible). Then finally at Ohlsdorf (home of the route depots and a connection to the U1 U-Bahn line) the route splits where it either goes along the branch to Hamburg Airport (Flughafen), which that station is also located underground, or it continues 4 more stops further towards the true end point at Poppenbüttel.

So even if this route is only 30+ miles long, there is certainly a lot going on in that length. Lot's of branches and divrting paths to explore, a unique section where trains have to reverse in order to continue and of course the busy section around Hamburg itself. I would say that this route would probably capture Hamburg Hbf as a busy central station the best, definitely more so than Hamburg–Lübeck (even after it's supposed timetable update) and even more so than the previous Hamburg suggestion, Hamburg–Hannover, as this route would take advantage of the S-Bahn platforms of that station, unlike those other routes/suggestions where the station is incredibly busy, expect for the S-Bahn platforms which are as dead as ever due to the fact they don't have the loco to do those services. But saying that, this add-on could add Hamburg S-Bahn services to those routes, but more on that when we get to talking about the loco that could come with this route.

Now we've discusses this route for a bit, time for some real life images.

Pictures of the route in real life

Wedel
    [​IMG]
    Blankenese
    [​IMG]
    Diebsteich
    [​IMG]
    Hamburg-Altona
    [​IMG]
    Hamburg Dammtor
    [​IMG]
    Hamburg Hbf (S-Bahn Platforms)
    [​IMG]
    Barmbek
    [​IMG]
    Ohlsdorf
    [​IMG]
    Hamburg Airport (Flughafen)

[​IMG]
    Poppenbüttel
    [​IMG]

Available Locos

Like with the previous two routes, this one would only come with one loco. But that doesn't mean there's much to talk about there, as this route would have a lot of additional layering from other routes and loco add-ons. Plus, I also have a few loco add-ons up my sleeve that could come to this route after it has been release, but more on that when we get there. But anyways, on with the main loco itself...

DB BR 474
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure you saw this one coming...

But in all seriousness, the 474 is probably the Hamburg S-Bahn's most recognisable unit, and the one that is most common across the network, with 121 being built over a period of 11 years to replace the ageing stock of the time. The first being delivered between 1996 & 1998, a second batch between 1999 & 2001 and then a final batch of 24 being delivered between 2006 & 2007. This later batch was the 474.3, which was equipped with an overhead pantograph to work the new extension down to Stade on the S3 line. But since our route doesn't anywhere near Stade, it is just the bog standard 474 with no pantograph that is our loco for this route.

This unit would take charge of all of the S-Bahn services that run on this route, ranging from the full-lines runs of S1, the peak-time services between Blankenese and Poppenbüttel of S11, to the services that only travels around that central Hamburg section like S2/21 & S3/31. I also envision this unit adding AI services to the S-Bahn section of Hamburg–Lübeck and also adding S-Bahn services to my Hamburg-Hannover suggestions, representing S3/31 services running between Hamburg Hbf and Hamburg-Harburg.

Additional services from other routes

Now for the fun part as this route would also have quite bit of traffic running on the non-S-Bahn lines, coming from a pair of German add-ons already available in TSW2.

Now the first one that comes to mind is whether Hamburg–Lübeck would add anything to this route. The answer is AI traffic along the Hamburg–Lübeck section of this route, with maybe a few of those services being drivable between Hbf and Hasselbrook, the section in which our line runs along. These services would simply use the DB BR 112.1 and Dostos available with that route. Plus, this route would also add freight trains running along the freight bypass that runs along the route between Wandsbeker Chaussee and Rübenkamp (City Nord) using the MRCE ES 64 U2 and various freight wagons on a variety of freight trains along this section. Although, I have a feeling these would be AI only as I'm not sure you make these drivable from the points they are starting/ending at.

The other one is IC traffic using the DB BR 101 and IC Coaches available with that route, running on services that could be made drivable between Hbf and Altona via Dammtor. Admittedly, the lack of cab car might make these services difficult to implement onto this route, but I'm sure there are ways to work around this via either a pair of BR 101's top 'n' tailing a rake of IC's, or via one BR 101 pulling a rake of IC's into Altona, which another one coupling up to the back of it to take it to wherever it's going next. But regardless, this would still add a bit more variety of the traffic around this area, rather than it just being made up of S-Bahn's, RE's & RB's.

Now ICE's do come around here in real life, but I think the ICE 3 we have now is a rare sight around here, so I would say if we ever get an add-on that features any of the ICE's that run here (ICE 1, ICE 2, ICE 4 & ICE T) then that would add ICE traffic to that route. I would even say that my Hamburg–Hannover suggestion would fit the bill nicely as that would could with an ICE 1. Plus, since that route also come with various Metronom rolling stock, then that would also add Metronom services to this route. But that's of that route ever happens in the way I envision it being.

Future Loco Add-Ons

There's actually more to talk about in this final part that want I first thought, as I have 3 potential loco add-ons that could come to this route after it has been released. Now the 474 that comes with the route addresses what the route is like nowadays in the presents. Well, with these loco add-ons, 2 of them will address the routes past and 1 will address the routes future.

DB BR 471
    [​IMG]
    These are the units that the 474's would end up replacing and were first built in 1939 when the network, run by DR and was then known as the Hamburg-Altona city and Suburban Railway, decided to change from AC overhead catenary to DC Third Rail to become more like the S-Bahn system that we know today. 46 units where built as part of a first batch between 1939 and 1943, when production was halted due to World War 2. This would resume in 1954, when a further 21 were built between then and 1955 in order to finally abandoned overhead operation on the network, with a further 5 being built in 1958 in order to the serve the line to Bergedorf, which is now part of S2. There was an attempt at modernising these units in the 1980's, but this was abandoned after 22 units due to being deemed uneconomic and all of them were withdrawn by 2001, being replace by the 474's that run on this network today.

If ever made for TSW on this route, they would bring an separate timetable set around the time they were being withdrawn, which would basically be the same as the one that comes with the route, but with a few minor adjustments to fit the time period that the timetable for this loco has been set, bring a bit of vintage flavour to a otherwise modern-day set route.

DB BR 472
    [​IMG]
    Moving to a unit first built around the 1970s, these were built to serve several new S-Bahn lines opening around that time, which include the city tunnel in 1975, Harburg in 1983 and to Neugraben in 1984. 62 of them were built in total, with 52 still surviving to as far as 2012. But by a decade later, they were all withdrawn, with them making their final services on March 4th 2022, followed by a farewell round-trip 10 days later.

Since they were withdrawn fairly recently, all they would do is just sub into the existing S-Bahn services on this route. But with would still add some visual variety to this route, as well as offering a slightly different driving experience compared to the slightly more modern BR 474's.

DB BR 490
    [​IMG]
    Ending with the newest member of the Hamburg S-Bahn fleet, these were first ordered in 2013 to replace the 472's that we've just talked about. After years of trial operations and ironing out several issues with these new units, they finally entered service in May 2018. A total of 146 have been ordered for the network, with 82 already delivered and a further 64 on order.

Like with the 472's, these would just simply sub into existing S-Bahn services, but not on the main S1 service as there are currently no plans to use them on those services. But you will see them on some of the other services like S2/21, S3/31 and even on a couple of S11's. So even if it doesn't add that much service wise, combine this with 472 loco add-on and 474 that comes with the route and you have one very diverse S-Bahn route with a wide variety of different trains running on it.

Conclusion

...and so we conclude this section of the in-depth route series talking about routes out of Hamburg Hbf that would be more worthwhile than the current one we have now, and while I don't think this route is quite on the level of Hamburg–Hannover, it would still be one worth adding to TSW roster of German routes. It would offer a unique S-Bahn experience with the fact that it's mainly a third-rail route, but with far more expanse compared to the previous third-rail S-Bahn line we've talked about, has tons of traffic running on it both from what's available and what other add-ons have the potential to bring, has an interesting way of getting from it's point A to it's point B via the big central area and from an area where you have to reverse back out to continue your journey and while the route would only come with one loco, several loco add-ons have the potential to bring a lot of visual variety, maybe even more so than many S-Bahn routes if it's kind we already have now. This really would be a route all about that inner area of track around Hamburg, extending from Hbf, pass Dammtor, down to Altona and then through the city tunnel, a place that could offer the most when it comes it level of traffic and a fair bit of exploration opportunities on foot. You also have that with the interesting single-track section between Wedel and Blankenese that's kind of this route branch but not really as the main S1 service runs down this part, which offers some unique challenges when coming to how to handle the services in this area. But regardless of how that area is handled, regardless of how this routes turns out in the end (if it ever happens), regardless of whether this route gets made, or whether Hamburg–Hannover is chosen instead, and the end of all of this, one thing is certain for me...

...this would still be a lot better than just making the BR 474 as a loco add-on for some services that last 7 minutes on Hamburg–Lübeck.

Now if you have any ideas that you would like to see on this route, or that you feel like there's something that can be done differently here, then feel free to let me know in the replies down below.

But for now, that's all for me and I'll see you all for the next route suggestion.

• Like Like x 12
  2. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on and it has PZB like German routes on HSR. For
    OHLE Capable version why not make 474.3 DLC 490.1 that way these Hamburg Trains can run on RRO HRR HMA Köln Aachen S-Bahn tracks. The 490 also appeared on Riesa-Dresden in 2017-2021 but can't load passengers due to Dresden Hbf platform height being 55cm unlike Hamburg S-Bahn RRO HMA HRR Köln Aachen 76cm.