Train Sim World 3 Happy Birthday Lu!!! (train Wars)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lucasfor49, Jan 10, 2023.

1. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

Greetings all, With this "off topic" section im going to be trying a little something.

For a simple question for our first one: Whats better in everyones opinions: Subsurface lines (Disctrict and met for example) or Deep Level lines (Bakerloo, Piccadily, northern etc,etc)

Please keep this civil - I dont want to have massive arguement break out in the replies :D

2. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Oooh that's tough. I like the S-stock, but I have to go with the deep-level lines. They feel more comfortable because of the tunnels that are inches from the train. The sub-surface lines generally feel colder and it feels weird having the walls so far away from the train.

Then again the sub-surface lines are really useful and have the most history behind them...

Nope, I'm going for the deep-level tube.

3. lucasfor49

Interesting to say the least.... Thats some very fair reasoning.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

My views on the LU as a whole:

Bakerloo: Never been on it myself but TSW gives that justice, looks like a good line
    Central: Good line, ATO as well so yeah, one of the best deep-level lines on the network
    Circle: Brilliant line even though Edgware Road-Hammersmith let's the line name down
    District: The longest line on the network, and the second oldest so has a lot of history
    Hammersmith & City: What's the point in it, it shares the Circle from Hammersmith until Liverpool Street and the District from Aldgate East to Barking
    Jubilee: Best motor sounds on the network, sounds similar to the 465s
    Metropolitan: Absolutely one of my favourites on the network, and the first LU route which turned 160 this year, happy 160th Met :love:
    Northern: The first deep-level tube line, one of the best too, similar stock to the Jubilee without the Met-Cam motors
    Piccadilly: My favourite deep-level line, as dark blue is my favourite colour so I feel obliged to love that line
    Victoria: Sadly second best in the blue fight vs the Piccadilly, although the Victoria is really good, the 2009 stock is nice inside
    Waterloo & City: No offence towards the W&C, but the W&C is useless I feel, why not catch the Northern or Bakerloo, but I get it, journey times are massively cut

That's my views on the Underground having been on the system twice over 4 years on two separate holidays ;)

5. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I worked 2 mins from Bank for 11 months in the past, commuting in via Waterloo. The W&C is absolutely rammed at rush hour. The number of people it will have taken off other lines is enormous.The other bonus is that riding against the flow of commuters, or off peak it's a very quiet service which makes a nice change.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Well, fair enough, to be honest I hadn't rode on it before but that's my opinion on it but I like the backstory here Sam ;)

7. aeronautic237

Hang on why is there a TSW3 tag on this?

8. lucasfor49

I have no idea - seriously I don't remember putting it there

• Like Like x 1
  9. aeronautic237

Eh, happens to the best of us!

10. lucasfor49

Thats actually very interesting - I always assumed it was made for buisness shuttle commutes and I guess I wasnt wrong - cheers for sharing.

11. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Subsurface lines because they are the London Underground equivalent to MTA NY State BMT/IND Lines. Furthermore one can actually run a 4TC Class 438 EMU & Class 20 diesel locomotive on the Subsurface Lines. Here's a Class 20 4TC on the Metropolitan Line a Subsurface route.

Metropolitan Line Class 20 if added to the game will count towards Tees Valley Class 20 version the same way as Dispolok 182 Press 155 counts to DB BR182 RT & RSN Red colour 155 achievements and NTP Class 47 counts towards WSR Class 47. Additionally the same also happens on SFJ Sand Patch & Oakville GP38-2 counts towards Horseshoe Curve GP38-2 Sand Patch SD40-2 AC4400CW gets tracked towards the UP SD40 & AC4400CW mileage run 500 miles HRR 422 counts to RRO version Bremen Oldenburg 425 counts to HRR version mileage run and lastly 442 SKA counts to Riesa-Dresden version.

12. lucasfor49

That's fair enough - I'll admit I may not have understood some of that but very interesting non the less

13. trainsUK

trainsUK Member

Deep level- whilst the subsurface lines are were the starting point for the world’s underground railways,deep level is better for many reasons. It is faster, more frequent, and the best way around the centre of London

The worst subsurface line is definitely the circle- serves no station individually and is just there to confuse passengers

14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The Waterloo and City line opened in 1898 as an extension to the LSWR so that people coming into London from the South West into Waterloo could get to the City because the LSWR couldn't get an above ground route to do so (remember London embargoed lines going into or through the centre of the City itself for a very long time which is why all the major stations are at the boundary)
    Up until the 90s this line was part of British Rail and it's predecessors, only transferring to the LU system in 94 and I'm sure I've seen videos or programs even recently pointing out Network Southeast signs or logos on the W&C "system"

So yes, created for commuters, but there's been a heck of a lot of development in London's system since the 1890s, for instance the Central London Railway (now the central line) didn't open til two years later and even then it didn't go east of the City itself until the 1930s

Nowadays Bank and the adjacent Monument station has six lines going to or through it (including W&C and DLR) so if you're coming into London via Waterloo (the busiest station in Britain except in COVID times) and going anywhere East or NorthEast (including to the Docklands, Stratford etc, two of the busiest locations in London outside of the City and West End) then the W&C is that link, but Sam's right it gets REALLLY busy in the rush hours and is almost dead the rest of the time (and not open at all weekends or holidays)