Hdr And Quick Resume

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by evolution33192, Oct 19, 2021.

1. evolution33192

evolution33192 Member

I'm curious if these will ever be addressed by DTG considering neither one work any longer since rush hour first released. I submitted a ticket but only got a vague response. To me this seems like it should be a high priority but maybe that's just me.

2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

HDR support was never developed for the game by Dovetail.

Microsoft added a feature exclusive to backcompat games which uses the unused power of the new consoles when running backcompat games to add an HDR emulation layer. When DTG replaced the backcompat version of the game with a dedicated ninth gen version, it ceased to be running in the emulator, and was utilising the full power of the console to deliver the higher resolution and framerates instead.

You *can* get it back by using a XBox One to download the 8th gen version of TSW2 to an external drive, plug it into your Series console and go offline. This will launch the last gen version in backcompat mode with Microsoft's Auto-HDR emulation layer active.

I *believe*, but am not 100%, that Quick Resume support is also added at Microsoft's end on a game by game basis, with them gradually working through a list of supported titles.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the HDR feature has to be applied for the game to be accredited as Series S|X optimised. Happy to be proved wrong though.

4. Princess Entrapta

HDR support is still a mixed bag, as it is 100% down to if the developer chooses to implement it. You can see in the XBox store which Series X/S games support or do not support it. Some do, but many still do not. Glancing at the XBox store listings for my installed X/S games list, Haven, Necromunda, Mechwarrior 5, CrisTales, Ghostrunner, It Takes Two, The Ascent, Scarlet Nexus, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, etc.are not listed as supporting it, while A Plague Tale, Gears 5, Hitman 3, Forza Horizon 5, Observer, Fallen Order, The Medium, etc. are listed as having it.

It's more common with "AAA" titles and first-party studios' output, less common with indie developers like DTG.

Of course, personally, while my monitor on my Series X does support HDR, because of limitations of the HDMI 2 standard, it's a choice between HDR and 120FPS, and I will choose 120FPS every time. I tried a few games with HDR on but the calibration for each individual game was a nuisance and the number of games supporting it was not worth it compared to how many games I could get vastly improved framerate on.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  5. Princess Entrapta

Also the biggest evidence for why that belief is incorrect is the fact that this store listing exists.
    upload_2021-10-19_10-17-36.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Bryer

Bryer Well-Known Member

Well I stand corrected. Thanks.

7. Princess Entrapta

No worries, it's something that's had a lot of stumbling blocks to widespread adoption, and the fact that HDMI standards are still in a transition to something that can handle higher framerates AND HDR simultaneously means that console gaming is stuck with that choice for now, so it's often something that's extra dev work for something only a minority of those using your game will ever see, which would probably be an unreasonable barrier to entry for getting stuff on the store, and at the end of the day such a requirement would only hurt MS' bottom line. Not surprised if it's mandated for all their internal studios of course, their job is to push all the features the hardware supports. It's no surprise the Halo, Gears, and Forza games are all about showing off that full feature set.

8. evolution33192

evolution33192 Member

Appreciate the response. That's too bad, I really liked the auto HDR. It would be nice if they could make it an option by sacrificing some resolution. Also I miss the ability to be able to switch from 4k to HD for better FPS. I get that they figured it ran good enough on series x that they didn't think it nessasary (for the most part I agree) but American freight routes with longer trains seem to really suffer when viewing in freecam. Regarding quick resume, it used to work before rush hour so I'm not sure why it wouldn't now. Anyway, thanks for helping me understand.

9. emdzej

emdzej Member

Quick resume would be a nice feature. I'm surprised they gave it up. Maybe, a memory problem again?

10. Princess Entrapta

It's not gonna be a memory issue. QR allocates 512MB per 360, 12GB per XBox One, and 16GB per Series X game of SSD space to store an image of the current state of the console's RAM.

Most non-first party XBox games don't launch with QR support. I can't think of one I've bought day one that had QR work out of the box.

MS launched QR by adding it to most existing XBox games at the time.
    Thus it appears from all the evidence to be something only Microsoft can add to a game, which they have a team working on constantly adding as new games come out, and removing games which it's unsuited to (Like all those games which require an online connection which used to hang and then boot you to a loading screen when QR was first added to them, prior to it being subsequently removed) which would be why every now and then a new wave of games gets QR support, similar to how they handle backcompat features like FPS Boost.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  11. Princess Entrapta

That's because when the UE 4.26 update dropped, we now had two unique TSW2 applications, one built for 8th gen consoles, one built for 9th gen ones, and each with different memory usage, but QR was only configured for one version.
    Presumably it's sitting on a list of games somewhere in Redmond for the Quick Resume team to put through testing and get it enabled, and it'll show up in a future wave of QR additions. No idea if devs can communicate with MS to expedite this process though, perhaps someone at DTG can answer that?

• Like Like x 1
  12. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

Quick Resume works quite randomly, you shouldn't really rely on it. It's one of those things that sound great on paper, and when it works it's absolutely a game changer, however it just doesn't work properly in most games. The reason is that most games simply can't handle being "frozen", losing contact with their servers, or being inactive for long periods of time. Therefore even if a lot of games technically support QR, they just relaunch when you want to resume them, or freeze, or anything in between. It's just an unpredictable feature sadly.

As for HDR, compatible Xbox One games have this automatically but native Series X|S games don't, they have to be HDR-enabled by the developers themselves. Since TSW 2 is now a native Series X|S title, and it doesn't support HDR, Xbox's own "Auto-HDR" feature cannot be implemented either.

13. emdzej

emdzej Member

Hmm. I played a few other games on series x and I had no trouble with QR. But, maybe you're right. Quick save in TSW2 does not always work properly too (disabled PZB, sifa, etc).

14. Princess Entrapta

QR was a bit unreliable when it was first added, due to some games relying on always-on internet connections, but MS' QR team have been going over games and removing QR support from ones where it doesn't work properly, at the same time as adding support for more games. I've definitely had it work consistently on most single player titles, though a handful have had issues when first added to the QR list. And of course, obviously you need to keep enough SSD space free for it, otherwise newer save states will overwrite older ones and you'll load up a game you played a while back only to find the QR save has gone.

15. emdzej

emdzej Member

Yes. I know. There is limit for games in QR. But, with broken save in TSW2, there would be nice to have QR.

16. Princess Entrapta

Absolutely, one can only hope it shows up in one of the next waves of additions, so as not to have to leave the game paused for lengthy sessions any time you need to go and do something.

17. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it’s a fact of life that only on PC you can really tweak and fiddle around with settings. Consoles have by nature most of their settings nailed down, and believe me I wish it were different. I’m beginning to regret ever having bought TSW2 for the Series X given the seemingly insurmountable issues, and will probably have to stick with PC. What’s amazing is that the hardware is identical on all Xbox units, so it should be easier in theory to sort all these issues out, not harder.

18. Princess Entrapta

Was this an accidental post on the wrong thread?
    This one's about Quick Resume (A console exclusive feature, so not really something you can "tweak" on PC unless you mean using another system for dumping your RAM to a save file when you alt-tab), and HDR support (Which is something that natively needs to be added by the developer to both PC and console titles, but you can kinda bodge around emulating with mixed results depending on your graphics card and drivers, etc. But the results are really not the same thing at all as having native support built in by the dev and can lead to the same consequences we saw with some XBox backcompat games, where Auto-HDR was disabled as an option because it messed all the visuals up)

19. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

It was more about Auto-HDR, sorry should have been more clear. On Windows 11 you can can individually enable for all non-HDR games like for back compat Xbox stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Princess Entrapta

Ah, yeah, still a bit finicky and has the same bugs with some games as with the XBox implementations, but yeah, that makes sense.