Head Out Functionality.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jacobfiremanz, Nov 27, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jacobfiremanz

jacobfiremanz Member

On the old mk1s, mk2s and mk3s (along with the DMUs) they have slam doors with windows you can pull down. One of my favourite things to do was to lean my head out of that window as many people did so one of the annoying things that isn't there is that they don't have this functionality on the carriages. I think that it would be a good feature to have a function where you could (on Xbox) press A to open the window then press Y to lean out of the window. This would add to the realism factor and enable the game to feel that bit more realistic when riding on the services on service mode.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nidhish Inumala

Nidhish Inumala Active Member

I would love that

3. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I too would love to see this. Maybe press triangle when you get close to a door with an open window? Like with the Class 182 Shunting position.

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

So long as it comes to the PC version as well, gets my vote. In terms of any 'elf and safety worries we have head out on locos anyway so coaching stock shouldn't be a problem.

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I would be all for it but I don’t think the license holders would like people doing dangerous things as passengers in the game. It might not be a problem in the game but if it encourages one person to do it for real one day to recreate what they did in the game and they lose their head (that has actually happened before), there may be trouble in store. It is possible already to use the external cameras to position one near the window to get a similar effect. Not ideal but close enough.

Public Service Announcement
    Never be tempted to stick anything out of a window on a real train, especially something as important as your head. It is extremely dangerous and irresponsible. One stray branch on a tree or other obstruction and it’s goodnight Didcot Parkway.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from Stu, but as I noted above you already have head out view from most of the cabs not to mention being able to walk around the operational railway, even through the Bakerloo tube tunnels, if you are so inclined. This is probably something that would be covered by their safety message at the programme start up.

7. Nidhish Inumala

maybe a camera view like in driver mode TSW (for xbox it would be right stick and select head out left or right window)

8. jackdillon37390

jackdillon37390 Member

If you can't see where you are going e.g you are in a tunnel, or you can't see round a corner, put your head in and you should be good. If you get injured don't blame the TOC for some crappy reason like there was inadequate sinage telling you not to do so, because you clearly know what you are doing and the risks. Also only put your head out, none of this whole body flailing crap

9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

What happens if at the exact moment you are putting your head out, before you can clearly see what’s ahead, there is a wayward branch sticking out? Hello dead passenger and, due to the way the world works, lots of paperwork and legal issues. Just in case anybody is still thinking of sticking their head out of a train window, just don’t.

10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

upload_2020-12-18_22-10-56.png
    I do see where you're coming from, Stu, but the game does have this message on one of the splash screens so TOCs cannot really blame dovetail if a bridge lobbed someone's head off trying to replicate something that happened in game, as it clearly states you should never attempt to replicate stuff you do.

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, but the above poster was replying to me not about the game but claiming that it’s safe to do so on real railways. It isn’t, and may result in lots of paperwork for the TOC and lots of heartache all round. Do what you like in TSW as it stands now but heed the safety advice given on the disclaimer page about heeding the advice on the real railways. His advice of sticking your head back in if you can’t see clearly isn’t as good as my advice not to stick your head out in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I can understand the argument that the licence holders possibly not being too comfortable with it when they have rolling stock with droplights in service. But as nearly all stock with droplights in regular service in Britain has been withdrawn, with the remaining to go soon, I can't see it being an issue in the future as I doubt a TOC will worry if they no longer have any trains where you can physically put your head out.

13. zakvdolek

zakvdolek New Member

I'd say if you were using Immersion Controls (like I do), it would just be a simple left-stick push-right, since it presently only adjusts zoom on consoles. It would be a very quick and natural way to check things during switching and starting/stopping.

PS. I'm talking from an American Sand-Patch perspective, where locomotive engineers do this from time-to-time, even today.

14. cjyeatman

cjyeatman New Member

Also need the "Free" camera view added back to the game. Really miss this.

15. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

there is one press 8

16. Nidhish Inumala

I think he meant for console- the only way is to get to camera menu in classic