Headlights Extremely Dark

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by colinL, May 14, 2021.

1. colinL

colinL Well-Known Member

This is just another thing I kinda noticed and asked myself. Aren't the headlights of the trains way too dark? I mean I know, their actual purpose is kinda as a position light so to say, but I've just watched some videos of cabrides in german locos at night and the headlights to illuminate the track in front quite a bit. Whereas in TSW2 driving at night is basically driving blind so to say. Can anyone agree with me here?

• Like Like x 6
  2. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

On old German locos such as 112, 143, 155. The headlights don’t really project much compared to the newer locos. The headlights on modern locos such as 145 and 101 project quite a bit when switched to brightest setting. Doing S-bahn runs at night with headlights on high beam doesn’t help with the fact, that the headlights only project a few feet in front of you, whereas in German cab videos, the headlight pretty much light up the whole track in front. So, yeah. It does feel like your driving blind.

• Like Like x 2
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's even worse with US locos, since IRL those headlights are practically searchlights

• Like Like x 3
  4. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

Meanwhile in SFJ we have bright high beam lights that are even visible at noon. I wonder if they look like that in real life.

5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Probably.

6. SLBM

SLBM Active Member

On 112 at least there is a switch supposedly switching high-beams, but it does not seem to do anything. Is that prototypical (like some legacy switch which no longer has function)?