Hello From Germany

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by H-G-Sekunde, Aug 20, 2021.

1. H-G-Sekunde

H-G-Sekunde New Member

Hello everyone!

I've been plaing TSW2 for a few weeks now and I think there is a lot to be liked. What chiefly attracted me was the coverage of German routes and rolling stock, and most importantly PZB90 simulation and realistic signalling. I'm on PS4 since my gaming PC is too old and I've come to like the comfort of my living room. ;)

My background: I'm a little "biased" as I've worked with operations people from rolling stock (previously) and signalling branches in Germany. This allowed me to accumulate two-figure hours hands-on BR143 experience, but also acquire a firm railway signalling background (signal box principles and types, German operating procedures, train protection and signalling systems).

Sim-wise, I've played Zusi 2 for a long time, since back then it was the only good PZB90 simulation. I've tried some newer railroad sims in the past that offered German stuff. MSTS was "ok" for the time, but didn't get me hooked since PZB and systems simulation was not really "there". Tried ProTrain Perfect, but driving sounded like the 1900s with track joints every 100 m, scaring me away from railway sims for a while.

On my PS4 I discovered TSW2, tried it, and it managed to scratch an itch that I've had for a long time. When I found the BR143 I was delighted as they got many things right, but unfortunately some wrong, in one case horribly. I like how the GR is simulated, they quite nailed the operation, even though "Freier Auslauf" is missing. Some things are missing or incorrect, like the indicators above the main window. But what hampers the immersion considerably is the sound, or lack thereof: The iconic fans are too quiet -- got better with the latest update, but not quite there; the motor-generator whirr is much too loud on the inside; the brake valve is almost silent; no motor contactors dropping out. But that could be improved easily.

Signalling looks mostly good to me, except for some Ks peculiarities: Flashing Ks 2 without Zs 3v -- seemingly fixed with the latest update; steady Ks 1 with Zusatzlicht; unexpectedly low Zs 3 "3" without distant aspect; shunting on "green" instead of Sh 1.

Anyway, enough complaining. You might've guessed by now that I may be not a "typical audience" since I don't care if all external labels are correct or if passengers' feet are inside the cab floor, but I do care e.g. if I cannot turn on the end-of-train lights. But nonetheless I do get good fun out of TSW2. And I'm impatient for the BR 420 release :D

What I've wanted to ask is, since I'd like to help make TSW2 better, what's the most productive way to provide input to the developers? I've seen some suggestion threads with a voting mechanism here, but also you can open support tickets with Dovetail. What are your experiences?

Thanks and best regards! :D

• Like Like x 6
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, H-G-Sekunde!

Depends on what input you‘re trying to provide. If something isn‘t working correctly in the sim, your best bet is to open a support ticket as well as starting a thread in the technical reports section of the forum. If you want to provide input on new features (Freier Auslauf for the Br 143 would be a new feature) or new content, you should start a thread in the suggestions section.

In your case, the lackluster sounds of the Br 143 would be best suited for technical reports and support tickets (although everyone is already aware of the Br 143 sound issues - they were better in TSW2020 and only got this bad in TSW2) while more in-depth controls for the Br 143 such as Freier Auslauf or the traction/braking only programs would be better suited to the suggestions section.

Hope this helps :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ferrovipathe67

Ferrovipathe67 Well-Known Member

welcome aboard, Willkommen an Bord,bienvenue a bord x)

• Like Like x 1
  5. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club, or maybe first class lounge.
    Depends on how you think about it

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Welcome, if you want to contribute, add information to the technical reports section f this forum. Developers read t and may or may not do anything with it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. H-G-Sekunde

H-G-Sekunde New Member

Hello again ...

Sorry for the late reply, I was on holiday and afterwards had quite messy construction work going on at home.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcomes. :)

Thanks for the guidelines, I'll make up my mind over it ... shockingly, I found YT videos about the virtualRailroads ExpertLine BR143, which seems very close to perfection. The sounds are stunning. Unfortunately, it's an expansion for TS202x and not available for TSW2, which means I'd have to use a PC again :(

Has the BR143 in the new Rush Hour addon Dresden-Riesa been redone, or is it the "same ol' engine" like before? I haven't yet played it since the pricing is steep. But I'm very tempted.

I'm currently collecting/scanning some original manufacturer's manuals (from LEW Hennigsdorf), albeit slowly due to family obligations. I think I'll review these if anything might help the developers in refining the simulation, and create a tech support and/or suggestion thread.

BTW, the GR commands nur Fahren / nur Bremsen (traction/braking only) switches work correctly (apart from the missing overhead annunciators GR-F/GR-B). In the sim in fact, I use "braking only" instead of coasting (freier Auslauf), works like a charm. (If you apply the brakes while traction is still active, the motor contactors will open under load and the base load chokes will have to bear the current until the step switch arrives at 0, which can become a "hot ride" if done too frequently. If, on the other hand, the GR is already braking, you can apply the brakes at any time, overruling its command without harm.)

Best regards!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lamplight

It has been redone. The new 143 is fantastic and a lot better than the RSN one. Riesa - Dresden is well worth the price to my mind after the newest update which overhauled the timetable and added the Meißen branch.
    That sounds fantastic! I did find the DB manual for the 143/112/114 all together and that was very interesting and informative already. It would be marvellous if you could add even more official information :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. H-G-Sekunde

H-G-Sekunde New Member

Hi Lamplight

Bloody hell. :o "And lead me not into temptation ..."

Do you have a good location to put PDFs for others to find? I'd contact you as soon as I've got something PDF-y.

Best regards!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lamplight

Hey H-G-Sekunde,
    Sorry about that :D
    Google Drive is often used for stuff like this. But I think you can also upload PDFs on the forums - as an attachment to a post for example.
    That would be marvelous! :D I‘d very much appreciate it.

It‘s always fascinating to me how much information we can gather when we work together on the forums :)

• Like Like x 1