Hey Fellow Engineers

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Alpha_6859, May 1, 2021.

1. Alpha_6859

Alpha_6859 Active Member

So I'm finally driving the C40-8W and i'm a little confused on the breaks. Automatic or independent witch should I use or does it even matter? Or should I just figure out what works best for me and go from there?

2. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

The automatic will brake the entire train
    The independent will brake the locomotive
    That’s the key difference- if you are pulling a load, use the automatic. If you are just driving the locomotive with no cars behind you, use the independent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

And if you are controlling speed downhill I would suggest the dynamic brake first (move the throttle past 0 and it turns yellow and goes into dynamic brake range)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Alpha_6859

Alpha_6859 Active Member

Thanks this is defiantly useful info. I didn’t even think about the dynamic break. I did a run last night and when going downhill i ended up using a combination of automatic and independent. But thanks for the info. I think if will help me more accurately and efficiently use the breaks.

5. Alpha_6859

Alpha_6859 Active Member

Thanks man. Is there any special setup i should use when pulling a load. I mean i managed to get a gold metal and everything went well but i feel like maybe things could have been set up better. Anyway though thanks for the help.