Historical Accuracy: Milk Tanks Were Not Goods Vehicles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tanyaJ, Oct 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. tanyaJ

tanyaJ Member

All in all Trainsim is a wonderful set of recreations with some great and accurate historical detail. There are always a few niggles, though, and if anyone has time I will point up some I have noticed.
    Milk tanks
    There appears to be confusion regarding the status of milk tanks on historical recreations of the British railways system.
    The 1888 Railway and Canal Traffic Act obligated the railways to carry perishable foodstuffs as passenger parcels traffic and this included milk, in however large quantities it may have been in. Thus loaded milk tanks are appropriate for designated milk trains and parcels trains, and even on passenger trains, but highly unlikely to feature in goods trains. Discharged tanks may have been returned by goods train but I think it unlikely. The actual tanks themselves were the property of the dairy (like churns) and only the undercarriage was the property of the railway. They were premium assets belonging to someone else that the railways were obliged by law and doubtless encouraged by finance to move swiftly.

TanyaJ

2. TimeSlicedDanny

TimeSlicedDanny Active Member

Might they have been in formations with fish and bananas, as they too were perishable foods? It's not something I know much about, but I'm sure there's a prototype for everything.