Horrific Stuttering Problem On High End Pc

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by ShodanCat, Aug 16, 2021.

1. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I have a very high end PC (9900k, 2080 Ti, 32gb, m.2 SSDs) and I reinstalled TS after not having played it in a long time, probably over a year since the last time I installed it. Immediately an issue reared its ugly head - the game is stuttering really badly. Like a hard stutter a couple times a second. On a frame graph it looks like constant peaks and valleys. This NEVER happened before (and I've had this PC for a couple of years now). What's strange is it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. I.e. I can load a scenario and it's perfectly smooth and close the game and load it again and the stutter is back.

Edit: stuttering appears even on the menu.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Task Manager to see if anything's taking up a lot of memory, if the CPU core that TS1 is using is running "hot"
    Have you checked if TS1 is using the onboard graphics or whatever offboard card you have?

3. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

Yeah, it's none of those things. Before TS is loaded my PC is using literally about 5% of system RAM and no idle usage out of the ordinary.

It seems like it might be related to the Steam Workshop browsing capability that's built-in to the current version of TS, but I'm still experimenting to figure out what the failure point actually is.

4. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

Right, so I figured it out. It's definitely the Steam Workshop tab of the in-game interface downloading info on scenarios available in the Workshop. If I set it to "favorites only" for example, it stops the downloading (and the stutter.) Note that I'm not subscribed to ANYTHING in the Workshop currently, it's just the built-in browser downloading info on each scenario for the content I have (and I have a LOT.)

It's possible that this is a "one and done" thing so it doesn't affect people who have had TS installed for a while and that list has been fully populated (at least until more scenarios come out - but that would be a very quick update.)

5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

SC
    It's also worthwhile in the NVCP to limit the fps rate for background processes this can stop them from affecting frame rates in the active game. It is under Railwworks64.exe profile in NVCP: "background Application Max Frame Rate" - I set mine to the minimum and it seems to help.

6. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

That's not what that setting means. It means it would run TS at that framerate when the game is not focused. I.e. say it's running at 83fps while its window is in focus and then you alt tab to your browser, it would limit TS to that framerate. A useful feature but it doesn't do what you think it does.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Turn the Workshop Browsing Off in the Game

If I want to look at the Workshop I use a Browser then Subscribe if I want it
    Then when I next start Steam it downloads when I'm not playing a game.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

SC
    My apologies I got that totally wrong!!:(

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

No worries! :) I just wanted to clarify in case others happened along the topic and were curious about that setting.