How Can People Afford This-an Open Letter

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bradley, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I am writing this to bring up the fact that we have more than 5 DLC’s releasing before next roadmap, that’s 3 routes and 2 loco dlcs, going by the new prices that they charge us this is around £120 pounds (not sure what this is in euros or dollars).

my question is during a time of a cost of living crisis and unemployment how can those who are unemployed and on universal credit as well as those on limited pay who enjoy the game afford this? in my personal opinion ( someone who works and can afford this) I believe this to be absolutely ridiculous, and DTG need to stop releasing things in massive groups and go back to a steady release rate, not only will this save our wallets but will also stop us the players getting rushed buggy messes.

I know that this may change absolutely nothing, however I believe this is a matter that needs to be discussed as it is a quite important one

yours faithfully
    A Tsw player

p.s
    Others may add there opinions to this, be constructive as that’s the only way things will get done

• Like Like x 16
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The sad truth is, a company like DTG doesn’t have to worry about whether people can afford its DLC. In its own words, you either buy it or don’t.

My argument is much less about affordability, but the time being taken on each DLC when so much is being worked on. Quality is already suffering quite badly.

• Like Like x 31
  3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

If more time was taken on a smaller amount of content, I'm pretty sure more people would be more willing and indeed able to pay the asking price.

• Like Like x 7
  4. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

You don’t have to buy them. Why would possibly think a business would care about things like this?

• Like Like x 8
  5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Currently i dont see a problem with the price. For people want to play / own all dlcs, tsw is an expensive hobby like a car can be.

I can immagine some people enjoy to have a virtual playground rather than buy all locos H0 models and rent a garage ;)

But infact i do see a problem with incrrased price and lowering quality to the same time. Thats not something i will support longterm if this becomes regular.

In tsc i spent around 5- 8K icluded the third party dlcs etc.
    The reason i remember for uninstalling Everything was some annoyance about bad quality of a dtg dlc, cant even remember which. But didnt buy a single dlc for the classic train sim since then. My jump to tsw was 2 years later.

So i wouldnt say i reached the point of stop supporting entirely, but releases full of lazyness & sugarcoating like ny trenton, make me question if i really should spend money on tsw anymore.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The blunt answer to this is that they cannot, and as always with people on such means they have to make a choice of what they spend their money on
    The other blunt answer is it's not up to DTG to pander to your bank balance, that's just how consumerism works
    There's also the point that DTG have said since day one of TSW they don't expect everyone to buy everything they produce. I have never spent a penny on any non-UK content I didn't have to (ie released as part of the TSW software releases rather than as DLC).
    So basically, if you CHOOSE to buy every DLC that's on you.

• Like Like x 19
  7. orb

orb Well-Known Member

So far since release of TSW3 I've been still completing my TSW2 collection, so increased prices of new DLCs aren't my problem yet. When there's nothing left to buy from the remaining TSW2 DLCs, I'll likely wait for higher discounts to start getting the TSW3 stuff (well, I may get Acela earlier, since its full cost is the same as for other TSW2 loco DLCs).

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Triage the releases and if necessary wait for a sale.
    If you’re on Steam as I do, buy the occasional gift voucher and chuck £20 in my Steam wallet which builds up nicely over a few months.

While I do think the new price is rather high generally for what’s on offer, makes me chuckle when people complain about the cost of gaming. You’re probably doing it on a PC and monitor which cost > £1k to acquire, or a games console that cost £500 and no doubt a 4K TV at least £1000 for a decent set. Using the internet which has just gone up to nearly £50 a month with BT.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is the individuals responsibility to spend what money they have wisely, even in a cost of living crisis there are still plenty of people with money to spend. If someone spends money on DLC and then can't heat their homes or feed themselves then they have themselves to blame surely.

It is awful that it has come to this but that is a discussion for another forum.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Train simulation software does not qualify as a basic essential by any margin, it is a luxury and a pretty niche one at that. Like any luxury you buy it if you can afford it, and if not you save up until you can, and if you can't, then that is that unless there's a charity going around giving out train sim software to those in need. It is no different from any other hobby.

But there's a very easy solution for those complaining about price and rushed buggy messes: Just don't buy it on day 1. Wait for reviews, then buy one DLC at a time as and when you think they're good enough, and by the end some of it might even be on sale. Or don't buy any of it. Just because DTG release a bunch of stuff at once, doesn't mean anyone has to buy it all at once.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

The release cadence has definitely sped up, but at least some of that is down to more 3rd-party releases.

3 of the 5 March releases are 3rd party and we've had Rivet's Edinburgh already this year

12. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

In previous years, one or two new routes were released every quarter and one or two loco DLCs in between. The marketing strategy at DTG has changed for some time now, more and more bundles are being offered, whereby the routes or locomotives contained can also be purchased individually. However, there is always the danger that if too much is published in too short a time, things can easily be overlooked. The result can be bugs that have crept in and which have to be corrected afterwards. It's clear that in these times a particularly large number of players are waiting for discount campaigns. The advantage of this is that the desired route is not only cheaper, but also that bugs found have been eliminated and the content has been improved.

I also just had an expensive investment in my PS5 and that's why I skipped quite a few DLCs this year, except for the Acela Express and Edinburgh-Glasgow. The Linke Rheinstrecke is still in there for me this month. Nevertheless, the following applies: with day1 purchases or pre-orders you always support the developer studio. They too are suffering from the current inflation and price increases. But they also listen to their community and even manage to trick a set DLC limit from the global player Sony by reprogramming. That was really clever and also hard work and testing! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. FredElliott

FredElliott Well-Known Member

Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity

If someone goes and buys a DLC for a train game instead of paying the rent, that's entirely on them

• Like Like x 6
  14. Scott295

Scott295 Well-Known Member

There is no rule to say you must buy it all at once or in the same month it is released. Only buy what you can afford, it won't be going anywhere.

• Like Like x 4
  15. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

You make valid points Bradley. Tsw is an expensive game, but tbf, there's not much we can do about it. So it really just comes down to the player to choose what to get day 1, what to get in a sale or a bundle if there is one and what not to get. You're not forced to buy everything. Some dlcs are worth the money, some are not. $15 for a livery pack and scenarios is ridiculous in my opinion. Some other routes like bml are well worth the full price for example. So it's really up to you to decide what's worth it. Gaming is a luxury, not a necessity, so there is no need to feel rushed to buy content

In terms of too much releasing at once, I agree cuz then it makes it harder to select which dlcs to buy. It's too overwhelming as a player.

16. west coastway trains

west coastway trains Well-Known Member

Imo there should be a discount where if you buy let’s say 3 items of dlc all at once before a certain date, you get money off. That way more people will buy it, dtg will make more money and people save money. I see a win for everyone

• Like Like x 1
  17. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I don't mind whatever cadence DTG released DLC at. I don't buy every DLC, just what I am interested in.
    However I would agree with the observation that DTG's typical release seems to have broken a bit in the past couple of months with the various releases coming out very soon from one another. That may be somewhat intentional on DTG's part to push out symbiotic content in parallel (see NYT + Acela, Mainz-Koblenz + Niddertalbahn) which is completely logical from my point of view.

Cheers

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This would be a logistical issue for the online stores to track and likely they're the ones who don't work that way. But DTG do have regular sales on most platforms (yeah, I know xbox loses out on that one)

19. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

The only things I actively want to buy day 1 is steam related ngl but even then im sceptical with quality level. I do have a pile of dlc on the wish list on xbox waiting for some sales (always a long wait on Xbox) but has meant I got TVL as a cheap bundle and gwe for £13 I think. So I'm happy to employ the vern strategy of waiting to see what the reviews and first impressions are before deciding if its worth buying now or in a sale.

As I'm a student and I can't buy everything so its rare I buy new releases. :) last one was SOS which I was excited for and feel a tad let down with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The simple answer is that they probably can’t afford it. They will have to do without all or some of it. That’s life. That’s why I don’t have many of the things I’d like to have and walk around in charity shop clothes. If those people really want to buy DLC they will have to find a way to pay for it or if they are just temporarily without a decent income wait until they are earning again. If they can’t then it’s unfortunate for them but not that serious. It’s not an essential product and it isn’t medical care. It’s not housing, food or heating. It is possible to live without the latest DLC for a train sim.

• Like Like x 5
  21. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Being honest here I find that the original post is offensive towards those of us who may be on universal credit or other benefits through no fault of their own.
    Universal credit is a pittance and barely even covers costs for basics (however the same could be said for the old style Job Seekers Allowance) and god help you if you are sick or disabled and have to jump through the many hoops and assessments that they force you to have.
    Many people seem to think that a life on benefits is a cushy life but I can assure you it is not.
    If someone on UC or other benefits chooses to buy a DLC from their money then that's up to them. The same applies to those working folk who decide to spend some of their wages on a DLC or 2.

As others have said, it's personal choice and people don't have to buy everything at release.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Most people who own TSW are railroad fans and not casual players, who want to live out their hobby in a digital form. That's why even the smallest details on trains are so crucial. There are also real train drivers who play it or some have become real train drivers through TSW. It's true that computer games are not essential for survival, like food or clothing. I wouldn't say they're luxury either. I would put them more in the entertainment category, like Hollywood movies or streaming series. It has even been proven that playing video games trains the brain's cognitive abilities and improves hand-eye coordination.

In the end, the love for a train decides whether you have to have a DLC immediately or whether you wait for sales.

23. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you think that it's necessary to buy every piece of DLC to enjoy the game. Are you also cross at Hornby because the "Just Announced" section on their website includes eight new trains/sets to pre-order totalling almost £1,700. How can somebody who likes model trains possibly afford all of that?! Simple answer - they don't need to. Just buy the bits you really want for your collection and skip the rest.

I might also point out that many of the current releases are by Skyhook / TSG / Rivet - it's not like DTG have been firing out their own DLC at that rate.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Sorry but DTG is a business that needs to make money and they do this by putting out DLCs. Now it's unfortunate that not everyone can afford all of it, but sadly that's life. It's not down to DTG to slow down to make it more affordable. As has been mentioned elsewhere 3rd parties are also releasing DLC and this is only going to increase as new 3rd parties come on board.

I myself was a completionist at the start. But I got to realise that I didn't want to be spending that kind of money. Given the recent quality issues and longstanding bugs in routes I enjoy, I decided to cut back and only buy what I consider to be good German Routes as that is what I enjoy the most.

Look at TSC - I'm sure there is someone who has all the DLC, but it would be incredibly expensive to keep buying it all.

Personally I welcome as many releases that come out (so long as they are good quality) then I can choose the ones I want..... And unless you're on XBOX as I am, you can always wait for sales.

• Like Like x 2
  25. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

On the old steam forums there seemed to be a post every week complaining at the total cost of all the DLC for TSC. Every week the reply would be you don't need to buy it all only what you are interested? It fell on deaf ears usually.

• Like Like x 2
  26. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I actually think its smart right now people dont have the same level of spending power for none essentials then they did 12 months ago generally speaking, so people are only going to spend money on routes which are absolute day 1 release purchases for them. By offering a mirage of different routes in different countries at the same time increases the chances of one of the routes appealing to any one player.

The advantage for the player is we can pick up one route now at full price and by the time we want to get a fresh route these might well be in a sale.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Well, IMHO the comment to the initial post seems a no-brainer: There´s no human rights convention that would put a train sim game into the basic human needs category. I.e. it´s not food, water, clothing, shelter, and sleep.
    I´d love to drive a Rolls-Royce, I really do, but I can´t afford such luxury.

And that´s why I don´t drive a Rolls-Royce.

And then: Why would you buy 5 new DLC for 120 quids, all at once, if you can´t play them all together anyway? Pick one, and wait for the next sale.

What is really unfortunate, apart from the release of expensive bug-infested DLCs, is the fact that there´s no trial version for them. A two hours window for refunding is an offense because it´s nowhere near enough time to grasp the essence of a new route release.
    Trial versions should be mandatory in this immoral game software industry.

• Like Like x 2
  28. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Plus if Steam deem you have misused the refund feature, they are liable to get a bit snotty with you. Most of the “soft” warnings I have received have been after refunding TSW DLC?

29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm not suffering economic hardship, but only very rarely do I buy DLC at full price. I generally always wait for the sale, with the exception of the occasional thing I really, really want.

• Like Like x 5
  30. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Dove Games may have become there own worst enemy,it just assumed the prices went up because of inflations or greed,but theres another possibility that many might be missing.
    What is it you ask?
    Early on DTG had no huge problem moving lots of DLC just make a nice trailer have a few streams give the occasioniail 10% discount and watch the money roll in.
    But as the years have rolled on the technical issues have piled up the new releases of content have been found flawed day one and the moving from game to game have tossed those not ready to move on aside stuck with however the game is at that point,even the hard core players have been becomning more unwilling to fork over hard earn cash for pre broken dlc's
    So how do you deal with less incoming cash...Simple...You up.the price and make those who are left make up for the loss of those who won't buy the pre broken DTG nonsense anymore.

Note As for sale sure there nice for some mostly PC (Because of other train games mostly)
    As for console players some made out better then others depending on the console.

• Like Like x 2
  31. elric#1386

elric#1386 Well-Known Member

As a person who is unemployed due to MH issues, I use TSW3 as a way to focus my mind. Yes for someone like myself the cost of new routes and dlc's is a lot of money. But there is nothing or anyone forcing me to purchase any new content on the day it's released. These new releases will still be there waiting for my purchase when I'm ready.
    The best part is, is that it gives me the time to read the reviews and comments prior to making my decision, do I or don't I?
    At the moment I make one purchase every two or three months, wherever the content is new or old. Though so far I have only opted to purchase the old TSW2 content. I have still yet to purchase NTP, and as a Brummie BCC, which are both at the top of my must get list. Still, there's no rush.

• Like Like x 2
  32. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

While I understand the OP's line of thinking, just realize that the issue of manu DLCs releasing quickly only affects the whales that insist on buying up everything on day one. People on a fixed / limited income may want such things, but like anything else in life they should prioritize shelter, food, and healthcare before some mediocre train sim add-ons. DTG has reasons for their quick / high priced releases and if they're making the expected returns, that's all that matters as a business. This is hardly a business model that cares about the voice of the customer.

• Like Like x 1
  33. max#2873

max#2873 Well-Known Member

DTG lost the train spirit, otherwise they wouldn't have allowed the old addons to be in such mess, it would be painfull for any enthusiast.

• Like Like x 2
  34. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I can see where the point is coming from because everyone is in a different situation with the cost of living crisis but it must still be remembered that DTG, Rivet, Skyhook, etc are businesses and not charities so need to sell this stuff and make money as the energy prices and that impact them too. Another point which I think has been mentioned is that most of these dlcs are being released by 3rd parties.
    Also if you think £120 is a lot you would be horrified by my model railway bill and then the wife's shopping trips to the closest town where cheap isn't a word!

• Like Like x 1
  35. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I do what Vern does. I put a few bucks into my Steam wallet every couple of weeks and that way I always have enough to buy what I want.

But I'm still selective. Still want value for my money. After all $40 bucks a pop is not chump change these days.

And the wife keeps track of every Steam card I try to sneak between the broccoli and the cornflakes. Let me tell you, life ain't easy.

Seriously, the only things I'm buying this month are the loco pack and maybe Niddertalbahn, which looks intriguing.

There is a Steam sale starting next week. I'll take a look.

• Like Like x 1
  36. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

For me, especially this month, it's a case of deciding what I really wan't, what it's really worth and how much I can miss really. As a student I don't have an endless supply of money. I know I can't buy all the content, but I also know that I can't play all the content (at least not a lot), so I'm kinda okay with buying some things later, perhaps on a sale, and just getting the content that I prioritize.

What I'm more concerned about is the quality impact so many releases will have, but different countries have different dev teams, so maybe it won't be too bad and is more of a coincidence. We'll have to see on that one I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Is that so? I mean it might make sense in a way, I just haven't heard that from the horse's mouth. Do you have a source?

38. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Not a direct one I can link right now, but I'm pretty sure it has been referenced on a number of streams.

• Like Like x 1
  39. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It was mentioned in streams in the past. I mean, how else would you explain how close routes have released. We got like at least 1 or 2 dlc each month in tsw2 for example. If they just had one team for everything, I don't think they could get out dlc that quickly. And each region is complex in its own ways in terms of actually building, safety systems, signaling, etc so you would need a group of people specific to that region to create all of it. I think it would cause too much stress if one team had to do all three big regions.

40. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

As others have said before, DTG does not expect everyone to buy everything, and definitely not at launch.

They think most people will only buy at release the content that they like most, and will buy whatever else they might like later in a sale with a discount.

Of course there is people that will buy everything as soon as it releases, but that is not what they expect most people will do.

If I tell you the truth, I think I'm a bit responsible (with others) of the simultaneous releases. I have said many times that I do not like buying routes that feel empty, and now they are acting on that feedback.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  41. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Why do we have this mentality that we must own every DLC that comes to any game?

• Like Like x 4
  42. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Motto for DTG dlc "BUY NOW PLAY LATER IF WE CAN EVER FIX IT" but while your waiting please take are advice and buy are next dlc because you can never spend to much on broken dlc.

• Like Like x 3
  43. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Exactly. I never understood the complaints ("Most expensive game ever"). It's a hobby - only buy what you want and can afford.

It's like going to your local fishing shop and complaining about the amount of rods'n'reels available and the total price of all items.

• Like Like x 1
  44. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I believe dlc is optional rather than mandatory. That's the solution to the OP original post .

• Like Like x 1
  45. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

Simple answer is... don't.
    A cost of living crisis is irrelevant to a company releasing content.
    They also have to make money to pay the bills, so if they slow down their releases, their bills will be tighter and less money to spend on licenses or reference trips.

Your arguement is hinged finely on a point that goes both ways

46. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

Given the cost of the game, plus any dlcs you want, I'd say they have a bloody point. Especially since the quality has gone downhill!!!

• Like Like x 2
  47. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The point is you don't need to buy DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

The point is that dlc you do purchase, should be in a working state. Not the buggy mess that gets released. So many dtg shills here, its ridiculous

• Like Like x 3
  49. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

What's next? Coming into a Lego store, and complaining that people in need cannot afford all the new sets?

• Like Like x 1
  50. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You're mixing up two things here. Quality and number of DLC. Quality has nothing to do with your purse and what you can afford. If you don't like it just another reason not to buy.

• Like Like x 5