How Do I Change The Bios To Run Ts?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by VolvoB10M, Dec 6, 2020.

1. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I had contacted TS support a while ago about constant crashes in certain routes and I got the response stating that the BIOS was outdated even though the motherboard was brand new at the time (AMD Ryzen series) and there is no way it could be fixed without first upgrading the BIOS. I have been trying to find someone to change the BIOS as it is not possible to do it without training without damaging the motherboard, however I just get told I am stupid for wanting to mess about with the BIOS. Do I need to get a different motherboard for it to be compatible?

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Upgrading the BIOS usually means changing the software installed on it. The BIOS is a chip on your motherboard that controls how everything interfaces with the processor, and therefore everything else
    If you look at the manufacturer of the motherboard's website there should be a section on BIOS update and support, which normally is just a program you run on your machine which does it all for you

What they DON'T mean is you should rip the BIOS off your motherboard and put a new one on, in case that's what you were thinking

3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

I find it unusual that a BIOS setting is responsible for TS crashes. Plus the BIOS is relatively new - mine dates from 2018 - no issues with TS.
    Were you given any indication as to which BIOS setting was involved?
    If your PC is loading correctly and you can run other games and software then just for TS to fail does not seem quite right.
    It is tricky updating the BIOS - if you have never done it before - so do take care if you decide to go ahead.
    I would investigate other causes before you update the BIOS

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  4. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I have ran BeamNG, Forza Horizon 4, Euro Truck Simulator 2, American Truck Simulator, Train Sim World 1 & 2, Scrap Mechanic and Farming Simulator 19 all without any issues. OMSI 2 has been suffering from "stuck in 32-bit" issues with more detailed maps being too complex to run within the confinements of a 32-bit application, even with the 4GB patch installed. I was thinking of upgrading the Ram to full capacity (there is two empty slots so I can double the existing 16GB to 32GB since the error I'm getting from TS (64-bit) does state "out of memory" and/or upgrading the GTX960 to something later (I wouldn't mind a GTX2080Ti but they are rather costly). Which of these is more likely to have an effect on it?

I know it doesn't mean the physical BIOS chip, I think I have worded it wrong. But if the BIOS update is installed incorrectly it could stop the BIOS from working and render the motherboard useless. It is definatley not something I know how to do. I tend to know know more about hardware than software so for me replacing the chip itself might actually be easier if I ever had to perform the task, although I think I'll probably stick to fixing vacuum cleaner motors for now.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Flashing the BIOS is fairly simplistic in reality, I don't remember one failing on me in the last thirty years... The closest was a printer where the flash failed, but even then it was rebuildable

6. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

The TS OOM has NOTHING to do with your 16 GB of Physical RAM installed - that is more than adequate to run TS20XX.
    The OOM is a generic term, a better one would be Memory Mismatch or Access Violation as that is what is probably happening.
    In your case with a new mobo it is very unlikely that your BIOS is out of date wrt TS20XX.
    Have you checked on the motherboard website to see if they have issued a later BIOS to the one that you have installed? that is the first step because if they haven't then the message that you are getting could be wrong.
    Just a note - many of the later BIOS had a facility (sometimes with included software) to upgrade "flash" the BIOS semi-automatically - check again with the motherboard website or the manual that came with the mobo if that is the case.