How Do I Get My Game Back?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by junior hornet, May 24, 2022.

1. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

My original version of Train Simulator was TS2015 and Steam has seen fit to update it to the latest version every year without having the decency to ask me. Whilst I have upgraded my computer during that time, I don’t have a flash harry PC, nor do I have the money to purchase one.

As of TS2022, I could run most routes that I own reasonably well, albeit with reduced graphics and in a window (and many older routes as higher res).

However, since the update to TS Classic, which I neither wanted, not asked for, nothing runs except in extreme jerk-o-vision, even at medium graphics. I would therefore like my game back.

I can’t re-install TS2015 as my current PC doesn’t have a CD/DVD drive and, even if I got hold of an external drive, I would guess that as soon as I ran the game, Steam would see fit to “update” me again. Also, I might not be able to run routes released since 2015.

All I ask is that I can revert to a version that I can run on my PC and drive the routes and trains that I have paid Steam good money for. Can anyone please advise?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

As you have to be connected to Steam in order to run it, it would automatically update to the latest version anyway, so that wouldn't help even if you did have a DVD drive. I'm pretty certain this is the case anyway, but as I've never installed it from a DVD I'm prepared to be corrected on this.

I can report no change in performance here after updating to Classic, and so far as I am aware, it is just a name change and not a major update to the game in any significant way. Maybe something got corrupted during an update. Have you tried verifying the game files via Steam?

3. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

One fairly common report is that Windows somehow assigns your CPU as your graphics engine. Search around.
    I didn't notice any change in performance, however you may want to try the 64 bit version. There are some things that only work in the 32 bit version as intended, but resource intensive routes tend to work much better for me in 64. I remember getting 15fps vs 40fps on some busy New York route section.
    Some things I wish back from the older versions, such as specific weather and shaders - non-issue if you end up enhancing your game with all there is. Specifically, at some point skies became full yellow, brutally overbright. (Some others improved.) Bloom is the same, I think torfmeister posted some suggestions. Last, but not least, the sound panning, now I flat out refuse to turn the camera in the cab, because even at a 5-10° angle, the loco sounds come almost completely from one ear. Station ambience cuts out abruptly. So yeah, some things would be nice to have back :)

4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The full bright yellow skies is most probably a 3D weather chosen for the scenario. Disable dynamic clouds to get the 2d sky back.

• Like Like x 1
  5. triznya.andras

Thanks, I'll try. It's a thing with winter (and possibly autumn).
    Just in case some developer checks here... same scenario, 2022-12 vs 2017-03.
    20201219152517 - Bombardier ALP-45DP NJT, Coach Comet-IV NJT.jpg 20170318175808 - Bombardier ALP-45DP NJT, Coach Comet-IV NJT.jpg
    Same in quick drives:
    20201204081036 - QD - Bristol to Exeter - Class 67 DB Diamond Jubilee.jpg

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Quick Drive uses SilverLining = 3D skies by default if you don't turn off Dynamic Clouds, else it will revert to RailWorks core skies.

Also the 3D weather has gone through some changes - there was a noticeable blue tint a few years ago which was removed in an update (but can be activated again editing the SilverLining.override file, see below.)

You can configure the SilverLining weather engine, the settings are stored as plain text.

Config files are in: RailWorks\data\SilverLining\SilverLining.config and SilverLining.override

Changes made will require a game restart.

This is the scenario with DynClouds disabled (uses sunrise time defined in ...\TimeOfDay\Winter.xml - with DynClouds sunrise is calculated by SilverLining using scenario date and route latitude). Probably too dark as the sun should already be up...
    33.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

If you want to make changes to the SL weather, don't touch the SL.config - instead put changed parameters in the .override file only. This is the location where DTG made changes to adjust the SL engine for Train Simulator.

And don't be confused by the many parameters - the SL weather is a 3rd party middleware used for other programs too.

I found a parameter that might be responsible for the yellow dusk/dawn tone... or might not. There's a lot of values to tamper with...
    55.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2022
  8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Btw, Andras, how did you make the 2017 screenshot? Do you have a backup of TS2017? If so could you post both SilverLining.config and .override?

9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies. I’ll try turning off dynamic clouds next time I load the game.

10. triznya.andras

Simple, I have a time machine! ;)
    I just keep my screenies around and keep them somewhat organised.
    These skies do exist in real life, but it doesn't always add up in the game. All things considered I prefer to use 2D as you suggest.

• Like Like x 1
  11. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

This will most likely not solve your issue, I was hijacking your thread, sorry.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Have you verified your game files via Steam?

13. SherryPomeroy

SherryPomeroy New Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022