How Do You Pick Your Service In Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Der Uni, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Der Uni

Der Uni Well-Known Member

Hello TSW2 Players,

i want you to ask of wich kind do you pick your Service for playing in Train Sim World 2.
    Do you go to the Timetable-List of a Loco and start your Service?
    or
    Do you use only the Journey-Mode?
    or
    Do you spawn on Foot and wait for your Train to drive?

Let us know ;)

By the Way....
    I wanted to start a Poll for this Thread, but did´nt find the Feature. Did DTG removed it??
    Ok, found the Announcement from DTG here...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  2. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Most of the time I finish the journey first and when it’s done I know what I liked most and play more of that with the timetable.

I spawn on foot like once a year or when there are bugs where you have to

3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

This pretty much exclusively.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Since day 1 I've virtually exclusively just played via the service screen after selecting a trainset/loco. But the last couple of weeks (since Harlem was released), I've started by doing the journey modes. Really enjoying the variety even if some of the scenarios are broken and unplayable.

5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

This. Only this.

6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Always on foot, either taking over at a terminus station or i look which services run in the timetable menu. Loading 5-10min prior to departure, so there is plenty of time to set up the train. I never liked do journeys or directly loaded timetables. Getting in game, lever forward and go isnt my thing.

Sometimes i travel a bit as passenger before taking over. Thats what tsw does well, plenty of gameplay styles possible.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Spawn on foot at the last station I remember visiting on the route at current month / time of day / weather, then grab whichever train departs first! Makes it nicely randomised and a little bit of a connection to real life.

I almost never touch journey mode, and very infrequently start services from the timetable selection screen.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Generally Journey mode, at least until (if) the save game is ever fixed to allow you to keep train jumping and build up a full day on the route.

9. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Journey only, and then whatever I need to complete the achievements, as the timetable is the least imaginative way to use the game

10. Railmaster

Railmaster Well-Known Member

Mostly or almost always.

When I start a new route, I start the intro and tutorial first in case there is something new, unknown.
    Afterwards I explore the route as a passenger.

Then I drive for the first time in timetable mode with a service that I like. This is how I quickly get track information. With a bit of routine, I then play the scenarios as I please.

Every now and then, if I can't think of anything better, I spawn too, it's so random and spontaneous.

I like this variety of game modes and the fact that I can switch on or off a duty in between.

The journey mode is an interesting thing, but I would like to drive the service that comes to mind and not the other way around. But I can well imagine that when I've played through a route at some point, I'll use the journey mode.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  11. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

Most of the time I go to the timetable screen to see what service I want to run and then spawn on foot to catch it.

12. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

I usually finish the journeys before hitting the timetables, but not always. If I’m feeling extra RPish, I’ll spawn on foot well before a service starts, preferably in a yard. For example on Peninsula Corridor, I’ll spawn into CEMOF yard 10-15 minutes before a run starts, shut down the train so I can start it up again, do a pre trip inspection/walk around, etc. before taking the set to San Jose to load passengers and then on to San Francisco.

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

All of the above

• Like Like x 1
  14. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I try to do the journey mode chapters and then go on to do services and collectibles after.

I say try because I often get bored of journey mode very quickly. Service mode is a lot more interesting, you can link services together by just returning to free roam.

Some routes even let you stay in the same train for the entire session without having to go back to a menu or reloading, it just feels more immersive.

The turns on Clinchfield are probably my favourite example of using return to free roam option, you can work a full shift on that route.

In journey mode, sequenced services are not as consistent due to weather changes. Tees Valley has one where you take empty coal wagons in summer and then the following service has you filling them up in a blizzard.

If journey mode were shorter, made up of 15 items for a route and 10 for a loco DLC just to get you familiar with them, I’d like it a bit more. I feel like it outstays it’s welcome a bit.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jamesthepershing

jamesthepershing Active Member

Always timetable.

16. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

When I first get a route I'll do the journey, but I've turned off the "continue automatically" function as I find the journey too often clumps things together and there's only so much interest I have in running the same stopping pattern with only the weather being different

The reason I choose journey over timetable is the whole faff of having to change season and weather myself. Would much prefer a "randomize" function for timetable once I've chosen the service pattern I want

17. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Idem

18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Most of the time on foot. Some cases Journey mode then take over another service within the same Journey mode. I did this with the Chemical Plant Shunter 08:30 then walk to Bahnhof Nünchritz take over the 08:57 Nünchritz to Dresden Hbf RE 50.

19. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

Timetable mode, except on Bakerloo when starting in a non-tunnel section, where I find the train I want in the timetable then spawn on foot to get it. The reason for this is that if you start the train in timetable mode it gives you about 5 seconds to complete a 45 second cab set up, and then you’re late until you reach the tunnels, because the timings are much tighter outside the tunnels for some reason.

20. chacal#2181

chacal#2181 Well-Known Member

It depends, sometimes Journey, sometimes timetable (exclusivly in day as well night lightining....), sometimes on foot when the scenery is alive (SKA since extension, London commuter and other with lot of AI or services). When on foot i like to just wait and look at thé trains to pass or I board as à passenger.

21. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Journey mode to me is used when you can’t be bothered to move the weather slider.

22. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

The Journey mode is the only way the game is even interesting, the timetable should be hidden from view and everything move to the Journey
    Journey gives you a variety of weather, you never what will be the weather, which you do not have with the stupid timetable

• Like Like x 1
  23. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

If we had a randonised weather button Id happily go back to timetable mode but theres only so many ways to set the weather and I like the unknown that Jounrey mode gives me

24. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Timetable mode . . . I tried Journeys once or twice when they first became available, found myself mired in activities that didn't interest me, and never went back. I have never tried to start a service after "spawning in", by the way.

25. Conductor B

Conductor B Well-Known Member

It depends on what I want to do and which service I intend to drive. If the service starts with a parked train in a yard, I like to spawn so that I can shut down the train and perform a cold start. This takes time that isn't provided in Timetable mode. Also, I like to walk through and make sure the interior doors are correctly setup. (The Amtrak Amfleet coaches have the bulkhead doors shut in between cars, which isn't how the train would run in real life. Also, on the Electrostars, I notice that sometimes the doors between trainsets aren't opened.) Not complaining, I actually like the ability to simulate a walkthrough inspection that someone - a conductor or ready-crew, I assume - would have to do in real life, as not all trains are perfectly setup inside the passenger compartments pre-departure IRL.

For other runs, I select my service from the menu. But once I reach the end, I continue in free roam so that I can properly shut-down my train and then walk to the other cab (or to another train) and run the return/a different route, simulating what a real driver might do. I might then "deadhead" as a passenger to another station before ending.

Long-story short, I do a little of each and love having the ability to do so!

• Like Like x 3
  26. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

After acquiring a new route, I usually begin by looking for scenarios and services that involve and kind or amount of switching work; later, I turn to freight runs in both categories. Finally, and only if I'm feeling desperate for something to do, I occasionally try out a passenger run, but my inherent inability to keep up with a schedule usually results in quitting before completing.

27. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I am currently attempting a Journey mode rotation, working along the list of routes I own and dropping into the next available trip. Keeps a nice variety going and forces me to revisit some of the content I bought but never got round to playing much.

• Like Like x 1
  28. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

I used to do journey mode but as most night rides are too dark for my taste, I primarily use timetable mode.

29. squerble

squerble Active Member

As most have said above, I just use the timetable mode. This is particularly helpful when learning stretches of the Brighton Main Line using the sectional appendix next to me - almost entirely HUD-less for all services now!

Though that does mean I now need to hunt services with unusual routings and stopping patterns! :D

• Like Like x 1
  30. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Well done, London Commuter was also the first route I drove HUD-less too - quite a rewarding experience!

If you haven't already, have a look at the awesome services thread for some interesting London Commuter suggestions - for example, one of the latest recommendations I suggest is the GX 1W16 London Victoria-Brighton service which stops at Preston Park, can't recall any other GX stopping here on regular services.

• Like Like x 2