How To Exactly Operate The Fef-3 At Least 70 Mph In Sherman Hill Without Slowing Down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by connorlrichey, Aug 19, 2020.

1. connorlrichey

connorlrichey Member

How do I exactly operate the FEF-3 steam train at least 70 mph in Sherman Hill without slowing down? Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Go downhill?

• Like Like x 1
  3. connorlrichey

connorlrichey Member

No, uphill. What position should I exactly put my reverser and throttle at perhaps each milepost?

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That is like saying "I'm driving a Lorry Uphill where the Gradient keeps changing - what gear do I use"
    There is no answer because it will depend on Gradient, Load and Weather Conditions

RTFM on how to drive the loco in a Quick Drive which will give you an idea

5. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Connor...

I don't own Sherman Hill so can't specifically comment on it but let me ask you this, Is it a specific requirement of the scenario??? I'd find most strange that you have to drive at 70mph uphill especially if it was Sherman Hill (I do know that its quite a tough gradient)...

Digressing, the way I look at it is (as Peter has already said) it's like driving a car (dunno if you can drive???), just because the speed limit is 50mph, it doesn't mean you have to drive at 50mph but is an "advisory" limit (by that i mean you drive to the conditions around you, but don't exceed 50mph obviously!!!)...

The same applies to TS... just because the line speed is 70mph doesn't mean you have to achieve it...!!! There are scenarios I've played where the line speed is 110mph but the train I'm driving is limited to 75mph (in theory!!! ) so realistically I'd never achieve 110mph...

Getting back to Sherman Hill, physics will also play a part in this... If you are hauling 10000 tons up a grade such as Sherman Hill then sometimes you will crawl up the grade (I've watched videos on YouTube of trains/locos barely achieving 5mph uphill) unless you had thousands & thousands of horsepower available (which would probably mean having in excess of 6 engines "on the point" [front]...

Have you also thought about this... You have attained 70mph uphill [Yaay!!!] and now your 10000 ton train crests the hill and now you have a 5 mile run downhill on an equally severe grade... At the bottom of the hill is a bend with a 20mph restriction as it enters a town... What do you think could happen...??? A little reading if you're interested??? :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Bernardino_train_disaster

So 70mph to me seems a little far fetched!!!

Maybe someone else who actually has Sherman Hill would like to comment...???

Eric

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020