How To Run A Train Smoothly??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jpmackay, Sep 16, 2018.

1. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

This evening I decided to run the recently released Norfolk Southern Coal District Scenario Pack 01 Add-On on the route of Norfolk Southern Coal District. This scenario was recently released through Steam. When I start in simulation with 10 M.P.H. with NS locomotive with a coal train. I find that this is not necessary to go back and forth constantly with the speed limit of the train and the tracks were flat not downhill or uphill. But why do I have to slow down the train to stay within 10 MPH then have to speed up a little because the train is going slower then reduce the speed of the train then pick up the speed of the train -- go back and forth to change the speed. Am I doing wrong to run the train and would like to know how to keep the train running within 10 MPH not up and down with the speed of the train. Your help would be appreciated how to run the coal train to stay in speed not changing all the time all along the tracks.

Thank you,

John

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It would depend on how much power you are using on the loco - when you get near the speed you want to be running at you ease off the power to Notch 2 or 3 and see if that is enough - if the speed drops you add a notch, if the speed climbs you not back.
    You don't run at full power until you get to the speed you want and just shut off as the train would lose speed on level track.
    Balance the throttle against road speed - this applies on every route with every traction.

Peter