How To Transfer Driver Profiles Between Computers?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Stenne, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Stenne

Stenne New Member

When I first bought TSW I installed it on my stationary gaming PC and created a Driver Profile. Some month later I bought a new PC Laptop and brought it with me to my summer house. There I installed TSW on the Laptop. I expected then that my profile from the PC installation would show up, but it didn't. I then created a new Driver Profile on the Laptop.

So, now I have two profiles, one on each computer, with different game progression for each of them.

What I want is either to have access to both profiles on both computers or to merge the profiles into one.
    Where is the Driver Profile stored? I presume it's on my computers, otherwise I recon they would be syncronized each time I startup TSW. Btw, I always start up TSW on line via Steam.

Perhaps I should mention that I was not yet registered at Dovetail Live when performing the two installations.

Most grateful for any help!

2. Juan Manuel Luengo

Juan Manuel Luengo Active Member

Copy the file Documents\my games\TS2Prototype\saved
    in a pendrive or any device (removable disk) and then copy it to the same location on the other computer.
    Ready.

3. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Maybe you can also recover your "Profile A" directly from Dovetail Live (web page)?
    1- Delete your "Profile B" from your PC B (profile with less progress, the one you want to update/replace with the "Profile A")
    2- Login with your "Profile A" on Dovetail Live (directely via web browser)
    3- Now, launch the game and login in the game too (same email and password you used for "Profile A" previously via web)
    4- Probably the game recover (create/assign and update automatically) your Profile A also in your PC B.

If this dont work you always have the backup "Profile A" on your pendrive ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  4. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I wrote how I did it in another thread, here is the quote for you:
    If you have questions, let me know!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stenne

Stenne New Member

Thanks all for very swift replies and helpful advice. I believe this will help me a lot. I'll try the different solutions you've given.

6. Stenne

Stenne New Member

Thanks a lot!
    If I get this working it will be a solution that fits well to how I run TSW, switching between my two computers every other week. So another question. I use OneDrive and wonder about the path name to where I want to put the content of the "SaveGames" folder.
    As an example, would this be a valid path name: [C:\Users\sten2\OneDrive\Trainsim\TSW\Saved\SaveGames] ??
    I'm also a bit confused about the syntax for the "mklink" command. In your quote there is a character I'm unfamiliar with. It looks like a downshifted "J". Does this character represent the part "C:\Users\sten2\OneDrive\Trainsim\TSW\Saved\" in my example?

7. Stenne

Stenne New Member

Referring to my first question I wonder:
    Does anyone of you have any experience from merging two "SaveGames" folders?
    This is really just a shot in the dark, but would you who are more experienced with the TSW file structure, think it might be sufficient just to move over all ".sav" files containing a "Driver name" in its file name from one "SaveGames" folder to another?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. kalteVollmilch

Yes, that would be a valid path. If you have spaces somewhere in your path, you need to put the path in quotes. The example you have given would be valid.
    No, this "J" is not part of the path, but an important parameter for the command. Without it, windows would simply create a hyperlink, which will not work. With this parameter, it will create a directory junction instead, which is what makes this work. You can read more about the command here: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink (you might need to select your correct region).
    The command for your given example would be:
    "mklink /j SaveGames C:\Users\sten2\OneDrive\Trainsim\TSW\Saved\SaveGames"
    I recommend making a copy of your savegame and storing that somewhere while you try this. Even though I did not yet manage to make my save disappear, it's always good to be on the safe side ;)

9. Stenne

Stenne New Member

Thanks again. It works !!!!

I had some problems at start having difficulties to create a valid path with the {mklink} command. Then I found out that the problem was in the folder-path I'd created on OneDrive.

This didn't work!!
    I created a "SaveGames"-folder in OneDrive, i.e. C:\Users\sten2\OneDrive\Trainsim\TSW\Saved\SaveGames
    In the "Saved"-folder on the PC. i.e. [C:\Users\sten2\Documents\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved] I ran cmd.exe with this command:
    {C:\Users\sten2\Documents\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved>mklink/j SaveGames C:\Users\sten2\OneDrive\Trainsim\TSW\Saved\SaveGames}
    This created a link with double "SaveGames" folders. I.e. ...\TSW\Saved\SaveGames\SaveGames

And this worked!!
    I changed the name of the OneDrive-folder above the "SaveGames"-folder to something else than "Saved" (i.e. LinkedSaveGames)
    I then ran cmd.exe with this command:
    {C:\Users\sten2\Documents\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved>mklink/j SaveGames C:\Users\sten2\OneDrive\Trainsim\TSW\LinkedSaveGames\SaveGames}

MERGING DRIVER PROFILES
    I also managed to merge the driver profiles from my two computers. This is how I did (It's working so far, fingers crossed):
    1. On my PC I made a backup-copy of the "SaveGames"-folder
    2. Moved the "SaveGames" folder from my PC to the OneDrive-folder and created a hard link as described above.
    3. On my Laptop I made a backup-copy of the "SaveGames"-folder
    4. From that backup-folder I then copied all [.sav]-files that had the (Laptop) Driver Profile name in the filename to the OneDrive "SaveGames"-folder.
    5. Then when starting up TSW on either the PC or the Laptop (they will both read from the OneDrive "SaveGames"-folder) I will have access to both Driver Profiles and can switch between them.
    I haven't tested this in all details but it generally seems to work. If not, it's always possible to go back to the original backup-files. I'm really not sure that the Dovetail Live Master Achievments will not be lost. That has to be checked.

Hope this can be of help for someone

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  10. kalteVollmilch

Glad it worked for you!
    Remember to give OneDrive a little bit of time to sync your save after closing TSW, otherwise there will be merge conflicts within OneDrive. Have fun!

11. Stenne

Stenne New Member

Thanks! I will keep an eye on those OneDrive icons.

All the best to you!

12. zz#1639

zz#1639 New Member

Worked for me on one computer but on another it says "The system cannot find the file specified."
    Any idea why is that?
    Kindest regards,

13. zz#1639

zz#1639 New Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023