Hst Intercity Liveries, And Their Weird Evolution

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jolojonasgames, Oct 2, 2021.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, recently I've mentioned HST liveries twice, and I noticed that there were a few different iterations of the InterCity livery on the HST, with the most important ones being InterCity Executive, which was the early version of the livery, and InterCity Swallow. Both these schemes took a while to evolve and standardise, and many odd paint schemes could be seen, so I wanted to put some on a row for you all :).

InterCity Executive
    [​IMG]
    InterCity Executive

To start off, the InterCity Executive livery. This one started to appear from 1983 onwards after BR's Western Region painted two sets in the scheme. The progress of this application was slow, and it was not uncommon to see repainted InterCity Executive liveried HST power cars sandwiching a rake of BR blue coaches as pictured below.

[​IMG]

Power cars in the InterCity Executive livery sandwiching a rake of BR blue coaching stock.

[​IMG]
    Power car 43130 in an odd rendition of the InterCity Executive paint scheme.

Two power cars (at least), 43129 and 43130 and also recieved a slightly odd paint scheme (pictured above), where the yellow band on the bottom continued across the vents in the side. Also not that this power car has a hyphen inbeteen 'Inter' and 'City', which was ditched years before the scheme started to appear.

InterCity Swallow
    [​IMG]

43188 wearing the definitive InterCity Swallow scheme, with a metal swallow being applied.

From 1987 onwards, the InterCity Swallow livery started to be implemented, featuring a number of changes, mostly on the power cars. The amount of yellow used was cut back, and a swallow was applied. The InterCity lettering also changed font and was now all capitalized. There were some initial experiments with the livery, with paint shops trying to create the perfect rendition of the livery. 43004, pictured below, was the result of this. She had (nearly) completely yellow front ends, and her fleet numbers were smaller and apllied to the rear of the power car, she did feature a swallow as a transfer decal, but not the metal swallow that would become standard. Later a falcon grey window surround became standard, and fleet numbers were larger and applied near the front of the power cars.

[​IMG]

43004, with it's front end nearly entirely yellow and small fleet numbers near the rear of the power car. It did have a swallow applied, but only as a transfer, and not in metal as would become the later standard.

[​IMG]

another, later experiment, 43038, with the nearly full yellow front making a comeback.

43038 would be the canvas for another experiment with the InterCity Swallow livery in the '90s. The roof lost it's yellow paint, but from the window surround downwardt the entire front was painted yellow, with a fleet number being applied in large under the windshield.

Please tell me which HST livery is your favourite, be it InterCity or otherwise. Personally I'm a huge fan of the InterCity Executive livery as seen in the first picture, as it pays the most respect to the HST's original paint scheme and shape, while also using the beautiful InterCity colours.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

Excellent post, I wasn’t aware there were differences in the executive paint schemes. I do remember 43028 what worked the WCML in the late 90s sporting an “Irish Rail” front end, I can’t remember the story with it but it didn’t last very long. Not my pic but I did see it a couple of times around Crewe

Edit: to answe your question it was Intercity Swallow livery, I really liked the cast plates and a full formation looked very smart. Must have been a pain to keep clean though as they were usually running around very grubby

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I believe when he originally envisioned the HST Sir Kenneth Grange designed the yellow application specifically for it as the traditional flat yellow front of the time didn't suit.
    The early intercity basically swapped blue for black and maintained its well balanced look. The swallow livery at least keeps the balanced front. But full yellow, Sir Kenneth was correct at the outset, it's not right for that design of cab.
    Personally l'll stick with the original yellow and blue because at the time it looked radical.

• Like Like x 1