Hud Visibility In Screenshots

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Jan 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain what determins whether the HUD is visible in screenshots taken with the F12 key or not?

Generally I find = or have found - that the HUD isn't visible, as I wish, but if I take a few shots in quick succession, the HUD is captured in the later shots only. A known issue - but importantly predictable!

Lately, however, I find that more and more of my F12 shots seem to randomly include the HUD, so I have to toggle it off before the screenshot.

Can anyone inform me as to the factors that might be influencing the capture of the HUD or not?

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I use Ctrl + S and haven't had that happen yet, maybe I'm not as click happy as you though I don't know, try it see if it's better.

3. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I always use the printscreen key, seems to work just fine with hiding the hud with the f3/f4 keys.... also, pressing 8 for freecamera and pausing the game using the pause/break key on the top right of the keyboard enables you to really fine tune your screen grab before using printscreen.

Hope this helps mate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. inversnecky

Thanks, guys. Yes, I am rather click happy….

The print screen option relies on pasting into the likes of Paint and saving, doesn’t it? Or have I missed something basic?

5. dunkrez

I think it also saves a copy to the railworks folder mate, at least it does with my setup.

6. inversnecky

Cheers, I didn’t know that: I’d better have a look. Maybe there’s a 100GB there of screenshots I wasn’t aware of :)

7. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I always had the HUD with F12 - unless manually off.
    The in-game screenshot button hides it. But it creates its own screenshot file. I only used it a very few times. Documents / Pictures iirc.
    One thing that Ctrl+S / Pause could do is rendering the current frame (just once) with absolute maximum settings.

8. inversnecky

Another issue is that I get duplicate screenshots in Amy Pictures: but with the route name as well.

Do all methods of making screenshots do this?

9. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Speaking of screenshots. I've noticed that sometimes my screenshots are names with route, co-ordinates, time etc but other times it's just a load of numbers that relates to the date and time.
    I had set my screenshots to go into a dedicated file on my D drive but recently this hasn't been working and they've ended up buried in the steam user folder with the date, time format instead.

10. inversnecky

The ones that are buried in my Steam folder (I created a shortcut on desktop to find it easily) are all YYYYMMSSHHMMSS_1, whereas the ones in My Pictures are prefixed by the Screenshot_routename_coordinates_date

But I do notice that not every screenshot in the Steam folder has a duplicate in the Pictures folder. There are less in the latter folder.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

If you click to take a second shot after taking the first, you will get the Steam notification confirming your first snapshot. I solve this problem by freezing the simulation, getting my shot, waiting for confirmation to clear, then setting up another shot if desired.

12. trev123

trev123 Active Member

If using an Nvidia card and having Geforce Experience installed just press ALT+F1 takes a screenshot.

13. triznya.andras

In my case, F12 only creates screenies for Steam. Shotting since 2015 and I have nearly 10000 saved and many more thrown.
    Maybe a newer installation of the game could possibly instruct Steam to do something with it. I'm still running my install from 2015-04.
    What you describe is what happened for me when I used the screenshot button on the HUD.

14. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Could one of you screenshot junkies try spamming Ctrl + S, I've not had the HUD show on any that I've taken using this combo, just curious if it's universal or not.

• Like Like x 1
  15. inversnecky

it didn’t occur to me that the Steam notification might be the culprit in slowing things down. I always wondered why a couple of screenshots should freeze things for a couple of seconds, get a game can run at 35+ fps.

16. Cyclone

Yeah, the game had lagged briefly during a screenshot. I took one on video once and noticed it, might have commented on it.

17. inversnecky

I did a quick check, using F12, the Hud button, Ctrl+S and the PrintScreen key, each for both a single shot, and a 'burst' of three.

Results:

F12 - the HUD appears in both single shot and bursts
    Ctrl+S and HUD button - HUD does not appear in any screenshots, single or burst
    PrintScreen - no shots recorded in Windows Temp folder (unlless I should look elsewhere?)

I also discovered that using F12 does not create the 'Screenshot_routename_52.07622-1.14364_20-30-19' style duplicates in the Pictures folder, whereas both Ctrl+S and the HUD button do.

(I forgot to try trev's nvidia suggestion - will edit in any results form that.)

As a point of interest, I have the frame rate in the top right hand corner set via the Steam client - this doesn't appear in screenshots, but if you use the F5(?) key to bring this up, it does appear in screenshots.

18. triznya.andras

It depends on how many screenshots you have and where information is stored.
    Adding / removing one updates the main folder, the thumbnails, that also updates its main folder entry, and there is a metadata file somewhere (if you manually delete screenies, they will show up in the UI as missing).
    Steam is partially a culprit as after a restart it takes no time to delete a screenie but after a while it's 1-2 seconds per shot.
    I assume the overlay is threaded but if you rapid fire, it can get blocked.

19. Cyclone

Print Screen copies to the clipboard. You have to paste into an image editing program later. You can only keep one at a time.

20. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I recommend using Greenshot, which is a free PrintScreen replacement. Press "Print" key and a crosshair pops up, screen freezes and you can drag a box selecting which area to save, then edit it if you wish (adding text or paint stuff). You can use it multiple times before saving, or save instantly to a file. No need for clipboard pasting.

https://getgreenshot.org/

• Like Like x 1
  21. inversnecky

Yes, that's what I always understood, but there was a suggestion is somehow also made files, but must have been an error.

22. dunkrez

Not so on my rig... wonder what the difference is and why it saves screenshots to the RW folder?

23. inversnecky

Which folder is it, dunkrez? Then I can check. I have Windows 10.

24. dunkrez

The root of the railworks folder, it chucks them directly in there.

25. inversnecky

Strange, nothing in there in my setup.

26. trev123

trev123 Active Member

You have a free screenshot and video program in Windows 10/11 in Windows/Settings/Gaming.

27. inversnecky

Never noticed that! I presumed when I saw 'X box' - something I don't own - that it was of no relevance to me.

I wondered if this is where the PrintScreen option came in as mentioned before?

Game bar2.png

28. Cyclone

That looks legit. Neat.