I Need Help When Driving Steam Trains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrainHorn22, Sep 20, 2020.

1. TrainHorn22

TrainHorn22 Active Member

When I try to drive a Steam train I always end up out of water, does anyone know how I can keep water running in steam trains

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You have to learn how to drive a Steam loco
    Most people drive them like a Diesel - stick in to full forward and open the throttle full

But a Steam loco works differently and Full Forward is ok as slower speeds
    As you increase speed you reduce the "Cut Off" - Move the Direction Leaver back from 75% to around 50%
    This video might help -

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I suggest you start with the automatic fireman which (for no doubt excellent reasons) is not on by default- settings/gameplay. He's not very bright and thinks it necessary to raise as much steam as possible all the time which keeps blowing the safety valves when you don't need it and can catch you out when he turns the injectors on (because the dozy b*gger's emptied the boiler) making the pressure drop just as you get to an incline which is when you do need lots of pressure and a full boiler...

Yeah- so not perfect but it does let you get the hang of the driving controls and you can take over the firing later or, if you're an occasional steam driver like me, just leave it be. In any case I'd advise you give auto-fireman a name- when it's a him rather than an it you can swear at him more realistically and satisfyingly when he screws up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member