I Need Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by terry english, Mar 5, 2022.

1. terry english

terry english Active Member

Please, will someone tell me what I am doing wrong with the class 143 on the Riviera Line. Even on the practice run I get a fail sign at Teignmouth. Don’t matter what I try, it is always a fail. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

We kind of need more information here. What scenario? What controls? Is the problem with a train function not working?

3. terry english

It’s the practice run from Newton Abbot to Teignmouth and on to Exeter st Davids.
    Starting at Newton Abbot I open the doors to board passengers. Passengers board and the doors close. Unlike the WCML add on with the class 390 there is no guard to give you two on the buzzer to go. At one attempt I waited at Newton Abbot to see if there is a guard and I was leaving too soon. I waited so long the fail message came up before I had even started moving the unit. So it’s not that.
    So leaving Newton Abbot, once the doors have closed, I drive to Teignmouth. Keeping to the speed limits, I arrive in Teignmouth. I have tried this several times now, stopping the train in different positions along the platform. Once the train has stopped I open the doors, passengers can be seen to get on and off. When the loading marker on the HUD reaches the end the doors are supposed to close, but instead I get a fail notice flash up telling me to read the debrief to see what was wrong. On reading the debrief it tells me I have only loaded passengers at one of seven stations. I presume that to be Newton Abbot, because from there to Exeter St Davids there are seven stops in total, including Exeter.
    I am really beginning to pull my hair out because I was a guard on that line for Ten years, so I know it like the back of my hand. In TSW2 I receive gold medals like smarties, so it’s not inexperience in the game. Flipping heck as a guard I even drove a class 150 set with nine cars from Weston Super Mare to Cowley bridge, the driver taking over for the last mile into Exeter. Completely against regulations, but I do know how to handle these units.
    But I am stumped with this Riviera line in this game.
    I hope you can make some sense of this.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  4. Cyclone

Are you playing with simple controls or expert controls? I have not seen a game terminate like that though, so that is odd.

BTW, I have played all six Riviera Line scenarios and published videos for them. Not sure if this helps or not.

5. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I just finished this successfully with no issues. You do hear a guard whistle and after a few seconds, you hear the doors slam shut then after that start moving.

6. Cyclone

It sounds like you might have moved with the doors open. That might have been a cause for termination. I do not know about sitting around at Newton Abbott, however.

I've had a bug where the doors close and you can't move. The fix is to save and return. If you're not fussing with a timetable, you can also just open the doors again and try to move off, but in a Career scenario, you will wind up late.

7. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Have just given this a run, and as trev123 commented above, am also able to complete with 1000 points.
    I too get the guard buzzer,
    Just a thought, you haven't per chance installed a reskin or swapped out the driver loco at any time?
    Also the timings are pretty tight, are you arriving within the allowed time parameters?
    Hope this helps

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you checking your timetable?
    If you arrive late at a station it considers you have not called there and lose points
    If you depart early from a station you again lose points.
    Just because the train doors have closed does not mean it is departure time

Use the F1 key to show what time you should arrive/depart at each location

9. terry english

Simple controls. Keyboard A & D for throttle and brake. Keyboard mouse. Published on You tube? Under what name or title?
    I have downloaded OBS Studio with a view to doing some videos. I’ll see if I can record one.
    Sorry, I don’t get any of that, not even the doors closing.

10. Cyclone

Change to Expert controls. You will thank me later.

My Youtube is in my signature.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Love your channel. You give commentary, information, etc. I like how there are time stamps on the videos. This is definitely one of the better train simulator channels.

12. Cyclone

Appreciate it, thanks. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Your channel is good. Might inspire me to make my own Train Sim videos if I have the motivation. :)

14. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

You have a good channel, keep up the good work.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you did not open the doors when the train arrived you would not notice them closing
    You can go to view 2 and look at the train and watch the doors close.

Just don't depart until you are supposed to.

16. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Turn simple controls off as they don't do you any good. I never use simple anything as I prefer to learn from my mistakes in hard settings right from the beginning.

When you stop at the station you need to press the T key on your keyboard to open the doors. There is also a symbol on the F4 HUD to open the doors on the right-hand side. The red progress bar on the F4 HUD will start moving and the guard whistle/buzzer will sound when the passengers are all on board then wait to hear the doors slam shut then move off

The T key is called the load/unload key and the same name for the button on the HUD.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  17. terry english

Hi to all of you who are trying to help me solve the problem of the fail message that I keep on getting. It's on the Riviera Line, and I don't know what I am doing wrong. If you can see where I am making a mistake then please let me know. The rest of Train Simulator works okay it's just this Riviera Line that is causing the problem.
    Please watch the video that is on my you tube channel.

18. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Hi Terry, the problem is you arrive too late.
    Expected arrival time is @17:36:25
    You arrive and open your doors @17:38:00
    You have to be within 1 minute of the expected time to complete the task.

19. Cyclone

Something you will learn is that DTG scenarios force you to run like a racehorse. On the Career version, you just lose points for being late but you don't inherently fail. You can possibly convert this to not use a timetable if you want to drive realistically, but you can see my own run at the Career version here. I am pulling into the station at 17:36:03 and get full credit when I eventually stop, so it is indeed possible. You just have to change how you drive sometimes.

That said, there are some that are impossible. One scenario on Portsmouth Direct Line (old version) has an impossible timing at Farncombe. In Career Mode, there is a timeliness penalty, but not a failure. The other catch is there are only 800 points available to start with, so I managed slightly less because of the bad timing.

In another one on Great Western Main Line, I put up a recent video demonstrating that the timings are actually flawed. I solved this problem and later found a way to insert it into the official folder, allowing me to tick it off. While I don't typically advise to spend a while doing this for every annoying scenario, the fact we can do this means we can produce a perfectly fixed scenario for DTG, but it's up to DTG whether to go back and implement them; unfortunately, the long QA process doesn't take into account such quick fixes and as a result they never get fixed. (Why can I say it's a long QA process? Adam has commented that cloud changes for TSW2 have to this day never gotten through QA because of other more important things, like a DLC that will wind up having people buy it, over a free cloud update.) Since one broken scenario can lead someone to stop playing because they perceive poor quality products, such easy fixes absolutely need to be resolved.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  20. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

This is why I much prefer playing Career with no scoring mode on because I can just relax and drive in a normal and realistic way. Compared to Standard where I have to drive at the speed of sound sometimes to make it to my objective without failing.

21. trev123

trev123 Active Member

You are slowing down too soon for the station. You need to be there by 17-36-25 which means you have to be there any time in 17-36 and you will get normal points if you go past that time into the 17-37s you will lose points. See my video. Note I start slowing down at about .3 of a mile from the station. Even that was a bit too soon as I had to increase power a bit.

(2) Railworks 2022 03 08 14 07 25 02 Riviera Route - YouTube

22. Cyclone

Notice in my own run I started braking for Teignmouth about 0.35 of a mile away from the station. Don't be afraid of coming in at some speed; it's common to have a train pull in at 20-25 MPH even for those that brake slowly, and some German trains may be able to take an entry around 60 km (that's over 30 miles) per hour. I eased it back with 0.09 to go because that was my intended arrival speed and I didn't want to brake below that as I could have been late. You could probably do an initial brake application 3 tenths out and be all right. So take advantage of that. If you use the F4 HUD, you'll know if your passengers are experiencing massive Gs by the circle at the left. If it stays within the green, you're probably all right from that perspective and it's still realistic.

23. terry english

To Cyclone, Blazin and all you others that have helped me solve this problem.
    I understand now what you mean. this could be a long blog, I hope you will carry on reading. As I said previously, I was a guard for 10 years, and Exeter to Penzance, Paignton, Exmouth, Barnstaple, Gunnislake, Cardiff, Birmingham New Street, Hereford, London Waterloo and Bristol to Weymouth are routes that I signed for. When I left the railway in 1999 I was just about due to move up to the driving school, but that's another story.

I ran the simulator again yesterday and managed to get all the way to Exeter, and still got a fail, but on this occasion, I know why, speeding, and moving the train with the doors open. the speeding was at Dawlish Warren, I was doing 26 as I hit the platform line 1mph over the limit. Now I know for a fact that in real life that 1mph over would have made no difference whatsoever, unless, of course, the driver had a supervisor in the cab doing the annual competence test.
    Moving with the doors open cannot happen, because there is an interlock between the driver's controls and the doors; the driver cannot release the brakes, it just doesn't happen. I did move the train at Starcross because I stopped short, leaving half the rear coach off the platform, but I thought I had closed the doors to move forward, but obviously, they didn't close. Still an improvement on a fail at Teignmouth.

Now, DTG goes for realism in their simulators, which is what I aim for when driving a scenario. But there is a lot they need to do. Some examples are as follows: The Cornish mainline and branches, their introduction scenario is to prepare a 150 for service at Longrock, Take it through the wash and then take it into Penzance station ready to work a service to Truro.
    To do all this, I think they give you 5 minutes from walking up to the unit to starting the service in the station. That is physically impossible. My nephew still works at Exeter St David's as a driver/trainer, and according to him, the driver would be allowed more than half an hour to do that for real. Now I know that Rivit games have produced the Cornish mainline and branches, but DTG can still ask for realistic scenarios.
    Another one that greatly annoys me, and I've put support tickets in about this, is the Great Western mainline from Paddington to Reading. A short route that I enjoy. My gripe is with the 166. If you do a non-stop run from Paddington to Reading or vice versa with the 166 you are timed to run at 100mph, but if you look up and to the right of the driver's screen you will see a sign that says the maximum speed for this unit is 90mph. If you play for realism then you do not exceed 90mph. This makes you two minutes late at either Paddington or Reading, which as you say loses you points.

Again I will not activate the AWS in a unit because of errors. I have had the warning horn instead of the bell when approaching a green signal. I've had the brakes apply an emergency stop when there has been no warning horn at all. I believe, within the simulator, it's known as a silent AWS and I've had an AWS warning horn when there has been no ramp between the rails, ie: it's missing. Still, that's enough for now.
    Something different, if any of you would like to send me a friend request I will gladly respond.
    I think, if push comes to shove, I prefer TSW 2 over Train Simulator 2022, but there again there are some who prefer it the other way around.
    Thanks again for all your help.

24. Cyclone

Just a brief comment: you cannot fail a scenario for speeding. If you play in Career, you lose points, but you don't fail. Try it: in Standard mode, speed all the way along. But in Career Mode, keep the speed steady and legal to keep the points. And stay away from scenarios like The Midnight Magnet since Laramie is not possible to make on time at the speed limit...

I otherwise agree on things like timings. Donner Pass is another big one. You have to go 30 to clear the scenarios on a 25 line. It is possible for us to edit the scenarios, but we should not have to do that. Even then, without technical know-how, we have it as a separate menu entry.

25. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

First you are using SIMPLE Controls - Change to Expert via the Settings on the main page after loading.

Second you are going TOO SLOW - the Speed out of the Platform is 40 MPH - you are going at 21 MPH
    You need to drive Faster up to the Line Speed which is the small number under the Speedo and shown in Yellow where it changes.
    The max speed is 60 MPH and you are wondering why you are late at 21 mph?