Ice 1 Afb & Pzb Behaving Badly

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OpenMinded, Nov 1, 2022.

1. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

In general, I really like the ICE 1 and how it is modelled in TSW3. The way it feels, the way it behaves, especially in bad weather, its sounds and its looks, all really great!

However, there are three issues, which keep annoying me, one of them actually preventing me from using the ICE1 more on SKW (yes, I know, they have been reported elsewhere, however, I would like to make the point again, as they have not been acknowledged, afaik):

1) The first point, for me, is the worst one, in terms of game play and an immersion killer: You cannot overrule AFB in braking mode, meaning that if you pull the brake handle while AFB is braking, nothing will happen, until the brake handle actually commands a higher braking force then the AFB. This is not prototypical, as the AFB should stop braking immediately, as soon as you have the brake handle in the first detent (Fahrschaltquittierung). This makes a realistic stop in front of a red signal impossible (nearly always at a station), as you should never let AFB brake you to a full stop.

2) I have noticed that even if your speed is way below LZB speed, if a braking curve starts to kick in, AFB commands braking with max elec brake plus some air. The instance you can see this happening regularly is when driving on a stretch where 280kph would be allowed and you restrict AFB to 250. As soon as LZB brake curve starts to reduce to 250kph, even you are 30kph below actual track limit, your train will start braking. It "recognises" soon after that it does not have to brake and releases the brakes again. However, you have already lost 10kph in the process and have to waste simulates energy to speed back up.

3) From the modern MFD displays in the ICE1, you are not able to distinguish between PZB simply influenced by a 1000Hz magnet or in restricted mode, as the only blinking symbol is in both cases the blue 85. In reality, as soon as you change into restricted mode, it should also display a blinking 70 (alternating with the 85).

On SKW I would at least expect a fix for the first point, as it really hinders (at least me), from using the ICE1 regularly. The 3rd point may not be so relevant on SKW, as you drive most of the time using LZB, however, I am expecting to see the ICE1 sooner or later on other timetables as well, and latest then this would need to be fixed.

• Like Like x 12
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

1) The sounds aren't realistic whatsoever, Maik seems to have mixed up the IGBT 401 with the GTO 401. Granted, he didn't have much time to complete those sounds, but they're just sadly not realistic.
    2) Yeah, that issues seems fixable with the unreal editor tho, same goes for the LZB curve.
    3) The MFDs and the MTDs are both wrong, taken from the 403 and just slapped in there, which seems to have resulted in some bugs. Adding to the issues you mentioned above: the G doesn't start blinking when you overspeed when under LZB. The 1000hz and S that should show up when getting a Zwangsbremsung don't seem to work as intended either. A friend of mine filed a bug report that was several pages long some time ago, but DTG doesn't seem to be interested in fixing those issues

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The sounds are realistic. The 401 got refurbished and got new traction motors, so you no longer get the musical tone when you start accelerating. And the sounds are from real recordings Maik had access to.

• Like Like x 3
  4. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

I know, but the sounds still aren't realistic, and, afaik he didn't use many of those sounds. As I said above, Maik mixed up the GTO and the IGBT sound. Maik added some kinda change in sound at 50 km/h, which isn't there on the refurbished one irl. Might as well wanna add that the switches as well as the traction motor sounds and inverter sounds don't resemble reality either, but oh well

5. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

And before you say that it sounds realistic, I'd recommend listening to this:
    (36:20 if the timestamp doesn't work)

6. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

Right, because i had information about it and i know how those systems work. In your video it is just not audible because of that bad mic on the video cam that gets outranged by the traction motor gearbox sound already. When having recordings with proper microphones, you can hear the needed switch in frequency and voltage and it sound nearly the same from 50 above as with the GTO inverters, because the way how that works is the same and the motors are the same either. It's just the range from 0 to 50 that is different as it does not use stepped frequency changes but a linear change and completely different ranges and voltages.

• Like Like x 2
  7. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

Interesting how every driver I asked said something different, some said that it switches at 80, some said that it switches at 110, some said at 98, while 98 seems to be the correct one.
    I'd also add that the modulation method the IGBTs use is completely different, therefore it behaves in a different way. The GTO inverter uses carrier-based PWM under 55 km/h, then switches to pattern-based PWM. The IGBT inverter uses R-PWM under either 55/50 km/h or 98 km/h (If we're just gonna ignore the fact that we both think something different) and switches to SHEPWM after that, which results in that audible switch (I'm gonna assume it just switches to the 3-pulse-wide-mode, don't actually know for sure). I think we'd actually just need a cab ride that includes the MFD or inductor recordings (which would both be kinda hard to get) to end this discussion, but oh well.

8. rennekton#1349

At the end of the day, it's still better than nothing. It's difficult to set up the sound and code it in and stuff. We should still give credit to Maik who worked hard on the train lol.

9. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

Yeah, not saying that it isn't a good add-on, just pointing out stuff that can be sorted out by messing around with curves and cues :P

10. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

I can only work with information i have and sounds that are available. The result of that you can drive in TSW. If it's not good enough, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

As I said above, I just pointed out that those sounds are wrong, didn't say that they're bad :P
    Anyway, I think we should go back to the original topic of the discussion...

12. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Just for the record, my first point was not about the sounds, as described in your post. In my ears they still sound pretty good to what I have seen and experienced. It was actually about the AFB nor decoupling in a manual braking effort.

To your other comment, I do actually have to check the 403, as I never encountered the problem described in 3). It may very well be there, though, which would make sense if it was just copied over…

13. rennekton#1349

Yea, I've noticed the first 2 and I hope it gets fixed someday

14. raph#6037

raph#6037 Member

The 403 somehow doesn't have these problems, I assume they just occured while they were implemented into the 401...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. sarhad

sarhad New Member

Hello Mike, I have a request for you. I would like to ask you to use the 440 series for the Munich-Augsburg main line. also known as the Fugger Express [​IMG]

16. e.leerentveld

e.leerentveld Member

For what it's worth Maik, I think your BR 401 is an excellent recreation of the real thing and it's a dream to drive.

The same goes for all the other locos done by you that I have for both TSW and TSC, and the Konstanz-Villingen-Hausach route!

Cheers,
    Erwin

• Like Like x 2