If Using A Pci-e Hard Drive, Is It Worth Installing Tsw/ts On A Second Pci-e Drive?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by StratPlayer62, Nov 26, 2020.

1. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I'm considering building a new system. Pretty much sure my main drive will be a PCI-e drive because of the performance. In the past I've always put my OS on one drive and put my other programs on a second drive for better performance. Just wondering with how fast these new PCI-e boards are if this is even a factor any more or should I just get one big PCI-e drive any put everything on it?

2. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Hi. I'm assuming what you mean by a PCI-e drive is an M.2 NVME SSD. Note that there are both SATA and NVME M.2 type drives. The SATA ones are slower and similar speed to a SATA 2.5 inch drive.
    So I'd say having the O/S and TSW split can't do any harm. But I suspect you wouldn't see any major speed benefits. In fact one of the You Tube Tech guys did a comparison between various SSDs and HDD. In speed tests, yes you can tell which is fastest. But for games, the only noticeable difference was HDD vs SSD.
    My setup is a fast WD Black NVME drive for the O/S. And then a larger 2TB SATA SSD for games. At the time SATA SSDs were cheaper than there M.2 NVME equivalent. The prices are getting closer now.

3. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Yes I meant M.2 NVME SSD, I haven't built a system in 9 years, trying to get caught up on what is current.

Thanks for the input.

4. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I have everything on this drive which is in a connecter on the the motherboard, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-2TB/dp/B07MTQTNVR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2ZBJOAXYINYY9&dchild=1&keywords=m2+ssd+2t&qid=1606467366&sprefix=2t+m2,aps,154&sr=8-5

I have found no improvement in performance and very little when updating from hdd to ssd. the stuttering still exists.

I have just purchased a top of the range gaming pc and noticed no improvement in performance with either TSW2020/ TSW2 or TS2021..

Mike