1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impossible To Derail A Train?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ethan TX, Mar 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ethan TX

Ethan TX New Member

Hi;
    I wanted to experiment with the new Hudson Line on TS19. Specifically, I was curious about how fast a southbound train could take the Spuyten Duyvil curve. The speed limit is 30 mph. I am sure you are all aware of the horrific crash that occurred there in December 2013 when a train hit the curve going 80 mph.
    So I wanted to find out how realistic TS2019 is in regards to physics.
    In order to accomplish my experiment, I needed to disable ATC (Ctrl-D).
    Well, after my experiments, it looks like it is impossible to derail a train in this sim - at least by overspeed.
    I hit the curve going 90 mph and the train did not leave the rails.

What gives here?
    ET

2. Gordon7000

Gordon7000 Active Member

Ethan, attempting to derail / crash a train is not encouraged. Licenses for loco / train branding are issued to train sim developers on the understanding that the owner or operators' branded stock will not be abused or misrepresented. The real life train operators do not approve of their brand liveried trains - represented in train sim - being used in crash scenarios, as they consider this may shed a negative light on their real train safety or security.

• Upvote Upvote x 3
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I've dumped a class 33 in the Swale on the Sheerness extension by doing 90MPH round a shallow banked curve just before the bridge.
    Derailing is definitely possible, though maybe not how it would be in real life

4. Ethan TX

Ethan TX New Member

Interesting. I seem to recall asking a similar question over in the Trainz forum several years ago, and received a similar answer, although nothing as specific as licensing that you stated.
    I understand, and respect that, but it was never my intention to create an arcade type scenario from TS19 (or T:ANE or whatever sim). I have been very curious ever since that tragic morning in December 2013, especially since I am a frequent (but not regular) rider of that line.

So, I guess if I really want to do crash sims, I need to get a job with the NTSB and run it on their software. Actually, that would be a pretty interesting job, but I don't have any of the qualifications for that type of work.

BTW: I do have a question about the real-life Hudson Line.
    The speed limits. Does the speed really drop from 75 to 45 (running south) at CP12, then go back up to 75 for the short distance to the 30 mph curve at Spuyten Duyvil? Before they installed PTC, it would seem a recipe for disaster.

5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

So, they prefer to do it themselves?