Gameplay Improving Lineside Industry: Horseshoe Curve (8 Industries)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lewielevy, Feb 1, 2023.

1. lewielevy

lewielevy Well-Known Member

Introduction

Hi, welcome to another post in my series "Improving Lineside Industry". I'm going to be looking at various routes in Train Sim World and highlighting what we have, and what we could have, in regard to railways that serve the various industries along them. I find these to be very interesting, and I think maximizing opportunities for players to use them in TSW would greatly enhance our game.

I've tried to limit any suggestions to what is just about already within the scope of the route, and might just need some extra modelling of scenery, and perhaps a few new wagons.

It must be said that I haven't been a fan of railways for very long, and I'm from Australia, so I'd love for you to add your knowledge about these far-flung routes and correct anything I get wrong. I have speculated at times, as information can be hard to come by.

(Some of the screenshots here of the in-game map are rather poor-looking as I couldn't do any better with their resolution when zoomed out. Some areas do not have 3D buildings on Google Maps so only some locations will have those images included.)

Route

In this post, I'll be looking at Horseshoe Curve. I believe the route is set in 2021. Here is a map of the route as represented in game, numbered with each location that I will be highlighting.

[​IMG]

Industries

Location 1

Beginning at the north of the route in Juniata, both Ward Transport and Logistics Company and Forward Logistics have adjacent warehouses with tracks going inside. Players could shunt boxcars into these buildings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 2

There is a Norfolk Southern maintenance of way depot on the east side of the Juniata yards. Players could operate works trains from these sidings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 3

The Union Tank Car Company has a considerable facility in Altoona where they repair and modify tank cars. The sidings include a transfer table. Players can currently shunt tank cars on some of the tracks but the ability to use all the lines and the transfer table too would be ideal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 4

In Gallitzin, Seven D Wholesale (a supplier of construction materials) has a spur into their complex. Players could drop off various items in boxcars and centre-beam and open deck flatcars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 5

There is a lineside pit and conveyor unlading system in Cresson which is used to empty trains carrying some kind of white granular material (perhaps fertiliser?). Players could run covered bay hopper cars over the pit to unload the product.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 6

East of Portage is a coal mine belonging to the Rosebud Mining Company. It has a tipple to fill trains. Players could load Bethgon coal hoppers here if the tipple functioned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lewielevy

Location 7

The Rosebud Mining Company has another coal mine east of Windber. It too has a tipple to fill cars. Players can currently load Bethgon coal hoppers here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 8

Johnstown Scrap Metal, part of Smith Industries (who have multiple sites and 300 rail cars), uses the railroad to dispatch waste metal. Players could deliver and remove open top mill gondolas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 9

Gautier Steel has a large plant in Johnstown. Players could shunt into the factory buildings and take away both steel plate and scrap swarf in open top mill gondolas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Conclusion

I hope this was interesting. Please feel free to add to this and let me know what I've got wrong. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  3. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

I don't think once in my life here have I ever met someone so devoted at a series of suggestions as you - AMAZING work you do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lewielevy

Haha, thanks mate, glad someone is still reading them!