Gameplay Improving Lineside Industry: London Commuter (6 Industries)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by lewielevy, Oct 8, 2022.

1. lewielevy

lewielevy Well-Known Member

Introduction

Hi, welcome to another post in my series "Improving Lineside Industry". I'm going to be looking at various routes in Train Sim World and highlighting what we have, and what we could have, in regard to railways that serve the various industries along them. I find these to be very interesting, and I think maximizing opportunities for players to use them in TSW would greatly enhance our game.

I've tried to limit any suggestions to what is just about already within the scope of the route, and might just need some extra modelling of scenery, and perhaps a few new wagons.

It must be said that I haven't been a fan of railways for very long, and I'm from Australia, so I'd love for you to add your knowledge about these far-flung routes and correct anything I get wrong. I have speculated at times, as information can be hard to come by.

(Some of the screenshots here of the in-game map are rather poor-looking as I couldn't do any better with their resolution when zoomed out. Some areas do not have 3D buildings on Google Maps so only some locations will have those images included.)

Route

In this post, I'll be looking at London Commuter. I believe the route is set in 2021. Here is a map of the route as represented in game, numbered with each location that I will be highlighting.

[​IMG]

Industries

Location 1

Starting at the north of the route, there is a pair of sidings near the Battersea power station. Network Rail has a small yard here that enables the loading of works trains and the storage of construction equipment, but it is also used by freight trains heading for two other sidings to the south. Trains can enter the sidings here before reversing back to unload at Tarmac's facility or the site shared by Day Aggregates, Hardcrete, and London Concrete. Players could replicate this with JNA trains, or else operate construction trains with MFA wagons from here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 2

There are two adjacent aggregate sites in Nine Elms. They both receive stone and sand via train (and unloaded by bucket), with Tarmac to the west and Day Aggregates, Hardcrete, and London Concrete to the east. Players could deliver here with JNA wagons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 3

Moving quite far along the route, Purley has a few sidings belonging to Day Aggregates and London Concrete. Using an unloading pit and conveyor system, they receive sand and aggregates. Players could unload HKA wagons here and then run around the consist to change direction for departure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 4

Near the station at Salfords, there are several sidings that most recently served a Day Aggregates depot. It appears goods trains no longer deliver here, however.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 5

In Crawley, between Gatwick Airport and Three Bridges, CEMEX and Day Aggregates are supplied with sand and aggregates by train. The former is situated on the northern side of the large precinct and has an unloading pit and conveyor (allowing HKA wagons), whilst on the southern side, the latter unloads JNAs by bucket. Players could enter the sidings, unload, then turn around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Location 6

Hanson Asphalt has a site in Ardingly that accepts aggregates by train and has an unloading pit and conveyor. Players can drive up the line from Haywards Heath, run around the train, and bring empty HKA wagons back to the mainline. It would be ideal if the proper system was modelled so that wagons could be slowly shunted over the pit to actually unload.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Conclusion

I hope this was interesting. Please feel free to add to this and let me know what I've got wrong. Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  2. aeronautic237

aeronautic237 Well-Known Member

Can't imagine how long it took you to make all those yellow lines! Perhaps if there is a freight timetable upgrade (there won't be, but if there was) then we could utilise these!

• Like Like x 1
  3. lewielevy

My RSN post took about 4 times as long, and that's only two routes down, lol. A timetable upgrade would be great, but even just one-off scenarios would do (with a bit of extra modelling).

• Like Like x 1
  4. lewielevy

I have revised the post to reflect the recent update to Location 6 (too bad it wasn't a fully-fledged upgrade, and only changed things at this one location).

5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and on the other hand
    This is now accessible on 9th gen consoles which use PC Timetable by using SEH Class 66

• Like Like x 1
  6. lewielevy

Yeah, just changed that part to reflect what's been modified since I first wrote this back in October.

• Like Like x 1