Incorrect Signal Lights On Hauptstrecke München – Augsburg

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by armus, Nov 16, 2022.

1. armus

armus Member

When trying to get gold metals on this route there's a few trips that involve bringing a DB BR 423 into service from the rail yard to the terminus station. I've noticed a few problems:
    1) when the menus show the time duration for this route some of the trips use hh:mm while others use mm:ss , so it's tougher to pick out the short trips.
    2) all these short trips require spending awhile on the siding waiting for a train to pass before getting on the main tracks. I'm not sure if this is poor planning or just a reflection of the real world.
    3) the green/yellow/red on the HUD often doesn't match the actual signal on the track. overall on this and other german routes I've been confused about which signal the HUD opts to show (it often doesn't refer to the next signal and instead indicates a one or more further signals down the track).
    4) these trips from the rail yard involve following a train that just passed, so the HUD signal can go from red to green without ever showing a yellow signal. I've blown past a few red signals from this, but on the last trip I did I had to apply the brakes to avoid rear-ending the train ahead -- the HUD was green and the prior on-track signal was green with no further signals left between my train and the one ahead. After the train ahead departed the station I saw that the next signal not far ahead was red but the HUD was indicating a green signal. After several seconds (as I slowed for the on-track red signal) the HUD later updated to a red signal.

2. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

Hi

In Germany, there is a speed-based signaling system. The HUD displays route-based signals only.
    There are streams on the TSWs YouTube channel where Matt. explained all this stuff in a lot of detail.

Links -
    KS & HV Signals
    HL Signals

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Played this scenario too, was sat there for about 10 minutes before I knew what was happening but now that I do it’s easy!

4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Confusingly, at least at first, the HUD only displays the state of the main signals (Hauptsignale), not the advance signals (Vorsignale).

Only a Hs can display a red (halt) aspect; but OTOH they don't display a double-yellow (approach or "caution") aspect: that appears on the red Hs' associated Vs approx a km or so in front. This will NEVER appear on the HUD, so you have to watch the physical signals. German driving in general calls for more alertness at all times than UK or non-ATC US driving.