Intel 12th Gen Processors And Tsw - Drm Problems

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Inkar, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

The new 12th Gen Intel processors are different internally to previous processors and can cause some DRM to to not work properly, causing crashes or just not letting the game start.

TSW and TSW2 are currently in the list of games affected by this issue when run under Windows 10. Should be fine under Windows 11. I expect Intel and the DRM providers will fix this, but it might take a while...

Those planning to upgrade to a 12th Gen Intel system might want to wait until the problems are fixed before purchasing.

The list of games affected can be found here.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 7
  2. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

If you upgrade Intel’s 12th-generation processors, I personally still think it’s safer to use large-core 12th-generation processors. The current 12-generation core is still unstable for games under WIN11.
    Looking at AMD's ZEN3+ large cache comparison in January next year, it is best to upgrade and wait for next year.

3. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Wait, so TSW2 uses Denuvo DRM that protects the core executable, but it only protects the core... the thing you buy once in TSW 2 lifetime... the thing you can get very cheap in every sale..

It doesn't protect the DLCs, those things you spent the majority of money on, and all it takes to get a pirated DLCs working is to place it into the correct folder....

How the hell was this decision made? :D
    And why the hell isn't the usage of denuvo documented on the steam store page?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

And is one of the biggest reasons why DRM's a bad idea, it most notably happened with SecurDisc before, Alder Lake's the latest example of how DRM hurts paying customers more than pirates. There's a reason why so many people, and even a few companies like CD Projekt advocate for little to no DRM. So many groups hellbent on cracking it from day one you're not getting any more than a months protection out of it, mere days even from time to time. And in the long run those who bought the game are just left with headaches from the DRM reacting badly from the ever changing PC landscape.

I hope that DTG just remove the DRM for Steam users to fix the Alder Lake issues. Considering that DTG already has a DRM free version on Epic it really shouldn't take much effort to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

Where did you get this info? Steam checks DLC licenses.

6. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Only in the DLC folder IIRC. If you stick a .pak file in say, /pak/, it will show up in-game even if you do not have the Steam license.

Cheers

7. 5cip

5cip Active Member

So does the epic version runs better without DRM? that's for me a important question

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes A few of my recently refunded items were still in the menu and still playable including AP points and achievements. I have since deleted the pak files manually and the issue was reported to DTG who are investigating with Steam. It never used to happen as previously refunded items had correctly disappeared.

9. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

As a game developer, I do not support nor condone taking advantage of fellow game devs.