Interesting Perspecives

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by Rudolf, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

If you looked at my posts regarding ToolkitForTSW, you may know that I can now do reverse engineering on the Scenario Planner files. Today I even succeeded in cloning a scenario. It turns out this is just the beginning. The .pak game files are a compression format, that contain uasset files. These files have a format very similar to the .sav files that store your scenario planner creations.

I think (not yet proven), that I can recover what is in the game files for the scenario planner. I think I can extract the service mode timetables and probably more. I am very hesitant in creating mods, because this may damage the game and result in bugs you cannot easily recover from.

But what I can do is use this information to provide additional information about the game and gameplay. This alone may be interesting. It took me quite some time to find out how it works, to be honest, before I was really dedicated to do this. I discovered it is very critical to to store modded data very accurate. One byte wrong, and it may crash the game. So I developed some testing methods just to avoid that risk.

It opens a new world for us.

If you want to try it yourself, the software for my first attempts is open source (written in C#). But please be careful not share any software that may damage the game. You can contact me if you want to co-operate (I can use some help) or if you need any advice. In the Scenario Planner Guide you will find a lot of information on the data formats used.

I decided I will start now working on the service mode timetables.