Train Sim World 3 Interregio + Freight Expansion Pack For Linke Rheinstrecke

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Mar 10, 2023.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, as quite a few of you know the release of Linke Rheinstrecke: Mainz - Koblenz is imminent. This release has many good things to look forward to (and some issues, though my opinion is generally positive). It will also be the first really 'vintage' German route, being set in 1997. This however also has one inherent issue: lack of fitting stock to operate all services (accurately). This means that currently IR trains are operated with IC stock, and freight trains are hauled by the BR 110. Both of which are understandable choices to fill out the timetable, yet do require fixing with locomotive add-ons in the (hopefully near) future. That is why in this thread I'll be proposing two expansion packs consisting of a locomotive and some coaches/wagons each. These expansion packs would be available seperately, but also in a combined package with a slight discount (and maybe even in a third pack with the base route, for players that don't own it yet). I'll dive into the specific inclusions after the table of contents :).

• Passenger expansion pack
      • BR 120
      • InterRegio coaches
      • BR 103 repaint
    • Freight expansion pack
      • BR 140
      • Freight waggons (Falns, Hbbins306, Kls (flachwagen))
      • BR 365
    • Conclusion

Passenger expansion pack

In short, the passenger expansion pack mostly serves the purpose of enhancing IC services, and providing correct rolling stock for IR services.

BR 120
    [​IMG]

120 114 in front of IC 703 "THERESE GIEHSE" near Dornburg/Saale, August 25th 1996

The BR 120 was one of the classes of locomotives most often seen in front of long distance IC and IR traffic. The first prototypes of this class date back to 1979, but as it used many new technologies, these prototypes were extensively tested, with serial production only starting in 1987. It's most notable for being the first serial production AC locomotive, with it being the technological ancestor of pretty much all locomotives in Germany today, and many others spread throughout the Europe and the wider world. just 60 BR 120s were produced in the '80s, altough 2000 locomotives were originally planned, mainly due to the design being outdated by the time it was actually produced, with the lessons learnt from the 7 years of prototype testing, and a further 10 years of serial use going into the developement of the well known BR 101 (and BR 152, 145, 146, 182, etc.). The 120s were outfitted in an Orient Red livery in the 1990s as can be seen above (with the exception of some protoypes still painted in beige/red). On the Linke Rheinstrecke they mainly hauled IC trains to and from the south of Germany, where most BR 120s were stationed and maintained. It, like the BR 103, has a maximum speed of 200 km/h. In many other ways it improved upon the already impressive BR 103 though. It was pressure-tight, meaning it could operate on high speed lines with many tunnels. It also had a way more ergonomical cab, as opposed to the BR 103's rather cramped interior. Furthermore placing the transformer in the floor of the locomotive allowed for a walkway in the middle, with modular components mounted on the walls, a first for German locomotives. With its modern and advanced controls, yet still distinctly '80s tech it would add a nice variation to the ICs and their gameplay on Linke Rheinstrecke.

InterRegio coaches

[​IMG]
    Aim InterRegio 1st class coach

Linke Rheinstrecke also sees many InterRegio services. The InterRegio was a typical service type for the 1990s in Germany, being introduced in 1987 and retired in 2003, despite stable ridership and societal importance. It was a long distance train, that stopped at some smaller stations aswell, allowing many smaller cities a connection to long distance traffic. The coaches used for InterRegio services were rebuilt from old DB express train coaches, and later from East-German coaches aswell. These provided reasonable comfort, a Bistro coach, but for example no airconditioning, reflecting it's placement below IC and ICE trains. Across all InterRegio coaches the interior was the same. I'm suggesting that the passenger expansion pack comes with three types of coaches, all being developed from the DB express train coaches (UIC-X-Wagen). This coaches are the Bimz (2nd class), ARkimbz (1st class/BordBistro) and Aim (1st class). The 2nd class coaches feature both compartements and open areas. I think having three coaches in one loco-add on is realistic here, as all three coach types base on the same basic coach, the UIC-X-Wagen of DB. On Linke Rheinstrecke these coaches would mainly be hauled by the BR 103. The coaches would also be hauled by the BR 110 (and potentially BR 120 or BR 103) on the nightly D-züge, which are currently operated with n-Wagen. The IR coaches would replace the n-Wagen here, as they are closer to the stock actually used on these trains (that being unmodified, mostly couchette, UIC-X-Wagen). However, for training module and layering purposes they could be combined with the BR 120 aswell (meaning the BR 120 tutorial would use IR coaches, as these come in the same pack).

[​IMG]
    ARkimbz 1st class/bistro InterRegio coach (nowadays repainted and often with new interiors these are used on IC trains.

[​IMG]
    Bimz 2nd class InterRegio coach

[​IMG]
    Interior of the open area of a 2nd class InterRegio Coach.

[​IMG]
    Interior of a compartment in a 2nd class InterRegio coach. Note the unique arrangement of the seats.

BR 103 repaint
    [​IMG]

Additionally, the passenger expansion pack could include a BR 103 repaint in 'orientrot'. This livery was also very typical for 1997, especially as DB management insisted on orient red locos being used on InterRegio trains as much as possible (to improve the image of the new service type). With this repaint the lower skirt and cast iron DB plaque would also need to be removed from the BR 103 model. It isn't neccesary for this pack, but could be a nice little addition for players.

Freight expansion pack
    In short, the freight expansion pack provides the BR 140 as a fitting freight loco for the route and era, aswell as enhancing the variety of freight waggons for the '90s and adding in the BR 365 from Niddertalbahn (if TSG is fine with it of course) so the Linke Rheinstrecke can have some freight waggon and passenger coach shunting aswell.

BR 140
    [​IMG]
    An image containing the BR 140 in not one, not two, but three different liveries, dated 1999. I'm suggesting all three liveries to come in this pack.

The BR 140 is a perfect candidate for freight services to this route. The 140s were built as E40s from the '50s to the early '70s. With a top speed of 100 km/h (later upgraded to 110 km/h), and a Bo'Bo' axle configuration, they were most fit for medium freight trains. In the '90s they could both be seen in the Blue/Beige livery pictured, in the Orient red livery pictured, and sometimes even still in their original green paint scheme. I'm suggesting that the 140 comes with all three of these liveries for varieties sake. The 140s were also capable of operating in double traction for heavy freight trains. On this route, some BR 140s also operated regional services with n-Wagen, and some had push/pull controls installed to operate with cab cars. That means the BR 140 could also sub in for the BR 110 here and there for more variety. The 140s were phased out during the 2000s, but many still operate with private operators to this day. More info on Wikipedia.

[​IMG]
    A better image of a BR 140 in Beige/Blue livery.

[​IMG]
    A better image of a BR 140 in orient red livery.

Freight waggons (Falns, Hbbins306, Kls (flachwagen))

As for freight wagons, I'm suggesting a combination of the Falns waggon we have in game as part of the BR 155 loco add-on, the Hbbins306 two axle sliding wall waggon and the Kls flatcar (or flachwagen in German). The Falns would allow for the transport of heavy coal or gravel trains, with these waggons being relatively new in the '90s and capable of carrying pretty much all bulk cargo. the Hbbins306 would allow for a more varied mixed freight scene, as these two axle waggons with sliding doors were a pretty common sight in freight trains in the '90s. Lastly, the Kls two-axle flatcars are immensly dynamic. These flatcars could carry cars, containers, gravel (mostly for maintenance work), wire coils, logs, train axles and much more. With a few different load types the Kls flatcar could add immense variation to the route. Different waggons are of course also possible, I just made a smalle selection of what I thought would fit the route, era and loco best, but freight waggons aren't my expertise.

[​IMG]
    Two Falns waggons owned by different private companies.

[​IMG]
    Hbbins306

[​IMG]
    A Kls flatcar with ballast.

[​IMG]
    A Kls flatcar with train axles.

BR 365
    [​IMG]

To add some shunting services, the BR 365, potentially in a repainted form as shown above, from Niddertalbahn could also be included in this pack. And if this is not possible, perhaps this pack can come alongside a timetable update that allows the BR 365 from Niddertalbahn to layer onto Linke Rheinstrecke.

Conclusion
    I hope you guys are interested in these packs, and that we'll one day see these or similar packs developed for Linke Rheinstrecke. As mentioned in the introduction, I think it might be a good idea to sell the passenger and freight expansion packs both seperatly and together with a slight discount, allowing players to choose the content they want, and get a slight discount for buying more stuff. A further [Linke Rheinstrecke + Passenger DLC + Freight DLC] is also very much possible for new players. Let me know your thoughts and remarks below!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 34
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't these just be loco dlcs? It's 2 brand new locomotives so 2 loco dlcs. An expansion pack would be using existing content to add new gameplay rather than creating a whole new locomotives and coaches/freight wagons and layers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jolojonasgames

Yeah, that's just a 'how do you name the content thing'. Yes, these are two loco dlc's. The combined passenger and freight pack would be an expansion pack like the heavy freight pack for NTP which included two locos and some rolling stock.

• Like Like x 2
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

From a dev's point of view, the proposed passenger pack would involve a lot more work. The 140 can be derived from the 110 (the originals were intentionally closely related), and freight wagons take a lot less work than passenger coaches (no interiors, doors, lights or passengers, or cardboard "PIS"). Whereas the 120 would have to be built from the ground up, as would the IR coaches since the game has to date no m-Wagen. I suppose multiple 140 liveries would balance things out a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on and when it comes to the DB Baureihe 140 it can also pull Nahverkehr Wagen N-wagen seen here on this Train TV Berlin video
    Location of the video is Linke Rheinstrecke Bingen Stadt
    Niddertalbahn DB Baureihe 365 actually comes with its own freight car the sugar Zucker Zug Eas Eanos KS open freight car. If it layers here you would have seen this combination DB Baureihe 140

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jolojonasgames

I definetely see scenario potential there ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. driverwoods#1787

In that time period it would have been Normal for them to do both freight and passenger runs same thing also applies to its electric brake equipped version DB Baureihe 139. That belongs on Innsbruck Hbf Garsmich Partenkirchen München Hbf route

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

Very well worked out DLC ideas for Linke Rheinstrecke, the marketing department of DTG couldn't put it better. ;)

This gives the devs a good idea of what is desired. Since Interregio services are already integrated in the timetable (just with the BR103 and IC wagons as a kind of placeholder), only an exchange of the wagon material or the locomotive would be necessary. The BR103 also drove Interregio trains in the 90s, but a BR120 would mean more variety. Even the BR112 from HBK would be an option for Interregios, but would have to be adapted to the 90s.
    I am also of the opinion that the BR140 fits best for freight transport. The BR110 only has to be exchanged for the BR140 and the existing freight trains can continue to operate in this way. Maybe we'll see the BR140 on another future route so that it can be layered afterwards. But actually a freight train pack would be of secondary importance, since the route is mainly a tourist route and no shunting work is planned. That's why the BR365 is not drivable here, but it could appear as a static AI train.

So the passenger or Interregio pack has the best chances in the end.

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The 120s (and new 101s) were in the first instance displacing 103s on IC services; the aging 103s tended to get the IRs, because it didn't strain them as much. I could see the IRs appearing with an orient-red 103, with the 120 saved for a future 1980s route.

Also, if they do a 140 for freight it would be a piece of cake to do a 141 (very, very similar) for the Nahverkehrzüge, replacing the inappropriate 110 with the n-Wagen. The 110 would then be a viable choice for Interregio services.

I don't believe the 112 has ever worked in the Rheinland, much less three years after DBAG's formation. It was produced for service in the former DDR* (originally Dresden - Berlin), and as far as I know Lübeck is as far west as it has ever appeared. (However, some of the nearly identical 114 are based in Frankfurt)

*Although it was designed and ordered originally by the DR (BR 212), it was after reunification and in anticipation of the coming DB-DR merger

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  10. jolojonasgames

I'd also totally accept a orient red BR 103 with IR coaches aswell, but I added in the 120 just to show there is demand for it, and it would add a nice bit of variety with more modern controls.

The 112 wasn't used on this route, but was around Koblenz on cross country IRs to and from Trier and Köln.

You're completely right on the 120 being mainly used for ICs and the IRs being mainly hauled by the aging 103s. I hope this is also clear enough in my original post :).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

And don't forget to mention, that with a BGR 120 IR-DLC there also should be the IR/IC Cab car :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. jolojonasgames

I don't think that's likely. The coaches I suggested are all based on m-Wagen, meaning there's some possible reuse of models. The cab cars are based on east german coaches, and would have to be done completely from scratch again. Combine that with the fact that there's no evidence of these coaches on LFR in 1997 and the fact that the BR 103 which hauls the IRs can't operate with a cab car, and I don't think the cab car is logical here sadly. Perhaps on some other future route though, I do really want to see it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jolojonasgames

I've now also added the lack of InterRegio coaches and a freight loco to my feedback list in the Linke Rheinstrecke Feedback list, proposing options like these two DLCs as a way to solve that. Now I didn't expect the route to come with IR coaches, the BR 140 and potentially a BR 120 and more freight wagons included for free, but I do feel like it should be prioritized as DLC to round the route out properly and build a dependable library of layering oppertunities for future vintage German routes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

What it needs too is the buffet car for IC trains!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

Nice suggestion. What about locomotive DB 151. It is a freight locomotive from 1972 to 1978. We would have an old freight locomotive and at the same time a proper locomotive to push heavy freight trains up the ramp at MSB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

While that would be nice, I think a Br 140 is the way to go. Not only was it still ubiquitous all over Germany, but it also often worked local passenger services as well giving you more options (and realism) on LFR.

Also, if we get a six-axle loco, I’d prefer the 150 over the 151. The latter could still come with a modern route easily, but the 150s are extinct (apart from two museum locos) since the early 2000s.

• Like Like x 2
  17. driverwoods#1787

Excellent point and if you are wondering where the two 150 Museum locomotives are they are usually kept in DB Eisenbahnmuseum Koblenz Lützel 150 186 & 150 091. In this time frame is the museum operational or an active yard

• Like Like x 1
  18. jolojonasgames

That's true, the BR 140 has quite a few options to increase variety. The 150 and 151 are on the more specialized side of things (though the 151 did sometimes operate passenger services aswell). I've added the bit about the BR 140 being usable on passenger services to the main suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Herr_Hornbuckele

Herr_Hornbuckele New Member

I think expansions like this would give Linke Rheinstrecke the variety it currently lacks. But if the passenger expansion is to be essentially a BR 120 loco DLC, I think the cab car is mandatory. As far as I know, the "IC cab car" existed in the classic red-stripe IC paint scheme, the red paint scheme from Linke Rheinstrecke and the IR blue paint scheme, so it would definitely get some use on Linke Rheinstrecke as well and would match the "IR expansion" narrative, even if the cab car does not run with the BR 103. More critically though we would finally be getting the IC cab car for the BR 101 and the BR 120 on other routes as well (which should really have been included with the BR 101 from the very beginning and I don't like the idea of another DLC around those kinds of trains without the cab car yet again especially at the new increased price for such DLCs).
    Also in my opinion adding shunting to Linke Rheinstrecke would help gameplay variety a lot, even if the route is not intended as a shunting route, why not use the possibilities Mainz offers in this regard? The locos exist, so if the BR 140 or similar was released as a freight enhancement pack for Linke Rheinstrecke, why not simply throw in the additional layers as a bonus?

• Like Like x 2
  20. jolojonasgames

The cab car is a difficult issue in my eyes. Yes the first cab cars were around in that time, but not in large numbers, and sources don't seem to indicate it was used here at all. Time will tell though, and I'd be more than happy to see an IC/IR cab car make it to the game one day.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Herr_Hornbuckele

Herr_Hornbuckele New Member

Sure, what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't like to see DTG getting away with making what effectively is another "IC DLC" while cutting on proper IC stock (Bistro car, cab car), even if it is not used on Linke Rheinstrecke that much. After all, it would be much more useful on other routes.

• Like Like x 1