Inverclyde Line

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by trainsimplayer, Feb 14, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Stations: Glasgow Central, Cardonald, Hillington East, Hillington West, Paisley Gilmour Street, Paisley Saint James, Bishopston, Langbank, Woodhall, Port Glasgow | Whinhill, Drumfrochar, Branchston, IBM Halt (Depending on the era), Inverkip, Wemyss Bay | Bogston, Cartsdyke, Greenock Central, Greenock West, Fort Matilda and Gourock.
    Stock (Depending on the Era)
    Class 314, Class 318, Class 380, Class 385, Class 303, Class 101
    This route is relatively short, but not too short. It has a variety of rolling stock and stations, and we have Wemyss Bay. No arguing with that.

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I'll agree to that. It would remind me of a school trip camping on Arran. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I recorded and will be eventually publishing all of the Glasgow Suburban scenarios, and I actually bring up the line that detours before High Street to head down a terminating line, and note that we start on that very line on a Class 158 scenario. I took the time to talk about the railway line that this train just came through, and that if we were to follow the real route (which is still there today and has many closed stations up to the Shields Junction), we would find Cardonald as our next station, and note the line itself is used for stock movements, maybe some freight, between the two railways and not for passenger travel.

During this discussion I make comments about the Inverclyde Line and how we need routes southwest of Glasgow Central on the Train Simulator map, especially the depot that has been referenced in other scenarios on WCML North.

Naturally, I am in favour of this route for these very reasons and feel this is overdue. We need Paisley Gilmour Street, and extending beyond that is ideal. The smaller branch to the south that terminates at Paisley Canal can be included since nothing spurs off of that. You suggested the local line via Paisley St. James, but we can also go via the main line to Johnstone and onwards to Prestwick International Airport, Preston Town, and the yard at Newton-On-Ayr and Ayr itself. that can end a second DLC option. A third, with further travel, gets you to Stranraer, and by now you've merged with the Western Lines of Scotland route which is not on the current map on Google due to it, well, no longer being there. but the Umap and the Open Railways map will have references to it in their own ways. I could see a backdated Stranraer to Ayr being a really good DLC, and Ayr to Glasgow Central in some format. Including the OP, that is three great route options. All smaller than Edinburgh-Glaggow itself.

So there are several options for this area that could be put to use, and three DLC right there that we've just filled in. Dating Ayr for the WLOS days would allow for that to be merged in the Workshop, or we can just make it present-day and let Workshop designers backdate and merge it by building their own track and extensions. I would only ask that stations and signage for closed stations be included in the pack in case anyone wants to take on that project, so that it can go into the Workshop.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  4. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

Great route in Scotland