PC Is Atc/acses Now Working As Intended?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TheMtnFlyer, Feb 21, 2023.

1. TheMtnFlyer

TheMtnFlyer New Member

So I’ve done a few runs with the new update using the ACS-64, F40, and cab car. Just wanted to check about the behavior of the safety systems.

Signaling seems to be working great but I was under the impression based on Brandon’s video on the changes that for a signal speed downgrade that you are currently exceeding the train won’t let you acknowledge until you have brakes in Suppression. Currently for me I can acknowledge without any brakes and then it thinks it’s fine with just an initial application of the brakes (it doesn’t seem to care that they are not in Suppression). Is that how it’s intended to work in TSW (I.e. you are supposed to use Suppression but the train won’t penalize you if you don’t)?

2. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

There are still a couple oddities when it comes to silencing the alarm and satisfying the safety system. Just do the suppression and acknowledging even though you can sometimes get away with it.

3. TheMtnFlyer

TheMtnFlyer New Member

Gotcha, thanks for the reply! One other question: in your video you mentioned that the “Time to Penalty” only comes on when you are approaching an interlocking home signal with the Stop aspect. Are there any cases in the route where this actually occurs or does it not currently include a timetable run that has that circumstance?

4. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Interesting question.

On the F40, suppression is PAST full service. And I don't like putting it into that much brake, so I was trying to go 66% and acknowledge (which is where most other locos seem to have suppression). That seems to be working for me to avoid any penalties (and I am usually at the speed I need to be pretty fast anyway) but I am not sure if its correct or not.

5. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Should work in Boston to Providence but it doesn't due to a bug right now. Though you'd most commonly see it with the stop signal after Providence station. If you are really aggressive you could potentially get it in Acela 2164 at Canton Junction (the one in the stream yesterday).

6. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

It's confusing, I know. I typically just do service 50% and that braking rate satisfies the system.

7. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

Oh ok. So its braking RATE and not specific handle position that does it. Good to know.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah. I think the Equalizing Reservoir needs to be 94 or lower. If you watched the stream then you know I'm horrible with brakes. For Amtrak though I think the Suppression notch is required regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

I believe (but I'm not 100% certain) that with Amtrak you have 6 seconds to bring the train into suppression when you have a restricting cab signal- important especially if you're unlikely to meet the required speed within that time frame.
    That 6 seconds goes by crazy fast when you have an alarm yelling at you.

If you don't meet the suppression requirement on time
    • the penalty brake will make a service application (not full service, not emergency)
    • this will continue until you regain control of the situation (it'll take the EQ to 0 if you allow it)
    • I think you can generally recover on the fly and don't need to come to a full stop if you get a penalty
    In any event, Amtrak does work differently than the glorious F40PH :cool:

10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It does appear that the F40 installation is sort of like Swiss ETCS- it only cares that you are braking, not how hard you're braking.

11. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Please correct me if am wrong, but shouldn't you slow down on your own before ACSES kicks in anyway? So if you gently brake soon enough based on route knowledge you would not get the harsh brake requirements to acknowledge the ACSES anyway. I always thought the ACSES was there just in case you forgot about the speed restriction, rather than to guide you. Again I happily stand corrected if that is not the case.

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

ACSES, yes, because you (should) know where the permanent speed restrictions are. But ATC limits are by definition surprises- you don't know they're coming until they hit, or at least before you see the signal. (Although once a progression starts you can usually figure out what the next steps are going to be).