Is It Just Me Or In Tsw2 The Locomotives Never Overheat, Power Overload Etc.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gabe_1.0, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

I just don't understand the most important aspect simulated should be penalize the player for overheating the engine so it shuts down having to cool down b4 restarting. Or the power overload which may fry the circuits calling it a blow to the trip. I can never seem to really cause any of these issues, i've had the trottle on max with the 47 on the old english DLC with no abuse penality.

• Like Like x 6
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I have been able to induce wheelspin on the 1972 stock but agree locos like the 45 and 47 were prone to overheating especially if in run down condition.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

I completely agree. We now have adhesion physics, but that’s the next step. Overheating the engine and overload should definitely be simulated across all possible trains. The traction lock out of the 155 has been simulated, but I believe that’s it. The weather condition should effect your engine’s temperature, applying too much power should have some form of consequences. Activating blowers and fans should have an effect. I would like to feel the need of my monitoring my engine’s temperature. I really do hope this gets simulated some day.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OldVern

The devs should take a look at Derail Valley (they probably already have!), the diesel switcher there is dead easy to overheat particularly hauling a heavy load up the hill from the Harbour. Also liable to have it start slipping which in turn reduces reliability and increases the servicing cost, albeit we don't have to worry about that in TSW!

• Like Like x 1
  5. hightower

hightower Guest

I completely agree with this, it would be great to see Simugraph evolve to take into account external conditions and even simulate failures etc.

Sadly, when they’re catering for players (mostly console, mostly young) who won’t read a manual and cannot get even the most basic of trains even moving, I fear we might never see this level of simulation in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  6. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

I did notice once when driving the Class 166, I threw it directly into notch seven from idle, and the motors stalled until I brought it down to notch 3 or 4.

7. Gabe_1.0

I own a copy of Derail Valley. It's surprisingly fun. You as the engineer must really think hard how you drive your little shunter or "DE6" of Steamer as you will run into trouble fast. It's great to have a wide variety of engines from various period era but the main thing an engineer needs to know is how to drive your engine otherwise abuse will result into a bust. There is now a very fair number of old locos. They must be treated with the most utter respect above all as they are prone to overheating, electrical overloads, blowing fuses all the fun things. I know all the locos from the old british DLC would be great candidates for this, the old german BR 363 that came out would also fit in. So you aren't short of subjects at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve managed to stall the engines on the Class 101. I had to restart them.

9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I would like to see something like that, I always try to drive correctly, it would be good for there to be a consequence when I don't. I am sure it could be an option to turn on or off, maybe call it realism mode or something? That way you would keep everyone happy.

Colonel Failure would presumably have it turned off otherwise he would rarely finish a stream!

10. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Railright simulated this on their class 40 in TS, it was fantastic, one had to drive her respectfully or boom! Would love to see this in TSW2 but as mentioned you would need options to turn this off for the casual players.

• Like Like x 3
  11. OldVern

Last time I tried, couldn't even get it started! Time to RTFM...

12. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Generally speaking for a locomotive to fail it pretty much has to be run outside its specification or there is a pre-existing fault that is causing it. A locomotive diesel engine overheating shouldn't normally occur, the diesel engine and cooling system is designed to run well over its specified power rating without issue. For example the engine on a Class 47 originally had a rating of 2700hp, in actuality it probably could run well over that safely without issue. However later they were down rated to 2580hp not due to overheating but simply down to trying to prevent notable mechanical wear, but that does mean the cooling system also has quite significant amount of overcapacity.

The only time it will overheat is if there is a a fault somewhere, one of the radiators might be seriously fouled (some locos are more prone to this than others, especially if the radiators don't have a large tolerance. Class 40s are quite notable for this). Or there is a design flaw in the cooling system, a good example again is the Class 40 where the cooling fan is mechanically tied to the engine. As such the amount of cooling is dependent on the engine RPM. This can have the notable effect of after a long climb and shutting off power, the engine now very warm can overheat as a result of the reduced power and consequently low amounts of cooling from the fans!

The electrics are a slightly different matter, they can be more easily damaged through misuse. The electrics on the locomotive have a continuous rating, at which the equipment can run continuously indefinitely without fear of overheating (except at very low speeds or stationary). On BR diesels this depends on the Class of loco but generally at full power it will occur by about 25mph. As such above 25mph the locomotive can be driven at full power without issue. For a class 40 for example has the following ratings:

2600A for a very brief period
    2000A-2500A up to five minutes once per hour
    1800A-2000A up to 30 minutes once per hour
    1800A Continuously.

The continuous rating will occur at full power at around 19mph, as such above this speed the locomotive can pretty much be run continuously at full power indefinitely (or until it runs out of fuel). Again there is potential for other faults to make this worse, a traction motor blower may pack in for example.

Overall even old locomotives are somewhat hard to cause a problem, they are designed to be abused simply because if you allow them to be abused, they will be. It would be a poor design of loco that could be damaged by simply running at its rated full power.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  13. Gabe_1.0

DominusEdwardius try Derail Valley for 1 week and you will see what I mean. They have a shunter which overheats when abused or when you drive it with the radiator facing the wrong way as it has no way to properly cool the engine. The shunter overheats when too much power is applied, generally you are force to do this when pulling a long train or going up a hill. In saying all this the class 08 and 09 should at least feature what they have going in DV imo if not other engines. The 08 from the old british period DLC is one of a kind as well.

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Derail Valley? Isn’t that purposefully unrealistic to add the gaming elements to it? The train overheats and gets damaged so that you have to pay to get it fixed as part of the game. TSW doesn’t do stuff like that, and it’s not really for abusing your trains, it’s for driving them properly.

• Like Like x 2
  15. OldVern

As a Traction Controller for BR in the dim and distant past, locos most certainly did fail with overheating issues or high water temperature as it was known. Yes this was sometimes due to a contributory fault such as a coolant leak or blocked radiator, but it did happen. The Class 31's that used to come down in pairs from the Midlands on a Summer Saturday were notorious and almost invariably ended up coming off at Bristol TM to be replaced by a 47 ex Bath Road. A couple of times the Gloucester standby 47 had to be used to top the 31's going back north as they had overheated. (Cue persuading the Midland to find a driver to run back light engine, for its booked freight job on Monday morning).