Is Long Island Railroad Worth It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bamz2317, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

Im considering to buy long island railroad, I've read online that there isn't alot of ai traffic considering it's a busy route in real life. I've also read that the yards like hillside are empty?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So i'll start by saying i quite like the LIRR route. That being said, the criticisms you mention are largely true. There's only one train to drive, the M7, which of course limits the AI variety. On the other hand, i find the M7 a lot of fun to operate, and there's a bit of variety in the services due to there being 5 terminals (NYP, Atlantic, Belmont, Hempstead, Hicksville) and some express/local variety.

There's NO freight on the line, so just be aware.

IMO it's worth a purchase but could turn into a must-buy with some additional DLC trains and/or extension to incorporate some additional branches (Long Beach, Babylon, etc would make Jamaica a lot livelier, for example)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bamz2317

Bamz2317 Member

Thanks! What i find interesting about this route is the various branch lines, the route length which is supposed to be the same as northern trans pennine? And it reminds me of a typical city to the suburbs route like you would find in many cities. No freight doesn't bother me since i have tees valley, rsn, ntp and br heavy freight pack. Even those routes dont have alot of ai traffic and they all have empty space especially rsn

• Like Like x 1
  4. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you get a good city (including some significant underground/tunnel sections) to suburbs transition for sure. I will say it "feels" shorter than NTP because the average speed is much higher.

• Like Like x 3
  5. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Easily one of my favourite DLCs. I just love the M7's hyper-precise throttle/brake controls.

• Like Like x 3
  6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

After reading these comments, I'll continue TSW without LIR. Thanks to all contributors.

7. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

wait for a sale - half price would be worth it

• Like Like x 1
  8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Yes definitely worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

NO!With only one train type it's NOT worth 29.99!

10. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I got this part of my TSW special edition bundle, so I didn't pay $29.99 (or whatever asking price DT is asking).

Long Island has to be one of my favourites so far.
    I like how diverse the route is. It goes from city, to suburbia, to the indoor/underground areas. The whole route seems very relatable to me.
    It's also a very fast paste service. Some of the NTP routes felt too long (just my opinion I know I'm in the minority), but these feel just right.

The way the train operates is unique too. Lots of fun! The cab itself is very comfy too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

If you didn't have the game before now thats a great deal,but i'm looking for a dlc sale because i have the game and want to get some extra new routes.

12. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

The M7 has the newest American train safety system, the ACES, too. And it works fine in Lirr. The acceleration of the M7 is impressive. First around 60 mph the acceleration slows a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Oh I don't think I've played with the safety mechanism on. I'll have to try. I think there's a switch in back of the cab that can activate it.