PlayStation Is The Ac4400w Supposed To Sound Like Its Being Powered By A Jet Turbine?

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Deltic00, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Deltic00

Deltic00 Active Member

It gets very annoying hearing that high pitched jet noise. Are those locos supposed to sound like that in real life or is it my audio settings (which ive tried to adjust) or just dovetails poor sound quality.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

Nope, its not you, and a known problem, though usually compared to a vacuum instead of a jet, but I like it! It's a mix of both bad audio recording quality and bad mixing (that high pitched sound is the turbo, which is way out of whack compared to the rest of the engine). But its apparently "fine" for DTG...

This is what the 7FDL-16 engine (AC4400 & the coming C40-8W) should sound like from a compilation video I found on youtube:

**NOTE not all in this video is 7FDL, some are GEVOs, but AC4400 is found at...
    2:50-3:10
    3:50-5:17
    5:45-end

• Like Like x 4
  3. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Great examples, I referenced the bad sounds in another thread earlier, and this is what I was talking about. It has that low pitched "rumble," and another sound which resembles one of those building AC units, which only is prominent in the higher notches of throttle. It is not, however, supposed to sound like one of those white noise machines designed to make you fall asleep.

The horns, for any American content besides maybe the Caltrain stuff, are terrible. If you've ever heard an American train, you'd know that the the horn is supposed to be louder than the engine, not quieter. And the engine is already a bit quiet either way, making the horn way out of whack. They also have reverb because of echos, and fade a certain way with distance.

Most of the horns in this video are amazing, (come on, TSW should sound better, not worse, than the outdated TS Classic):

4. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

You have to admit, at least 3rd-parties can do a better job of making loco sounds than DTG. And what DTG has made so far, is a mockery of what they thought American locomotive sounds like in the first place (reused AC44 sounds from a vacuum cleaner is terrible). And I thought they learned their lesson from Oakville (and improved the AC44 sounds while at it), but nope. Another quick way to make a locomotive without the efforts of making them sound as accurate as possible.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. jeremydunn8

Yes, hopefully Skyhook reads these forums, since they’re gonna be making Cane Creek for us. They have the opportunity to make it sound amazing, unless they just do re-skins of the CSX locos.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

I swear if they just do a reskin, we're gonna need to sit DTG down and have a serious conversation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeremydunn8

Haha, yes, sit both DTG and Skyhook down and talk about what they’ve done. That’ll go over well...

I’m curious, is Skyhook based in the US? That would make audio recording easier for them. At least I hope that if they’re not from the US, they can hire someone to grab some recordings. Also, do they read these forums or do they have their own?

8. ingenzone

ingenzone Member

Unfortunately, they aren't :( If DTG got a small group of people in the US just for audio collecting, I think that would work really well. Not even real employees, just railfans who are in contact with DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Nope, Skyhook Games is based in Liverpool, UK. So there pretty much in the same country boat as Dovetail is right now (Which the DTG office is at Chatham).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jeremydunn8

Ah okay. So either they’re gonna get some actual recordings and do their job, or we’re gonna get reskins of the SPG locos. I hate to say it, but the latter seems more likely.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I would assume they couldn't get the proper sounds because of the pandemic. How is it that a third party can make better sounds than dtg though. Espicially in train simulator 2021 (railworks). It's quite baffling. I hope the ac4400 gets it's sound issues sorted