Is There Any Way To Use Lider Data To Create Routes In Tsc?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cityrail-rulez, Oct 4, 2023.

1. I was just watching and learning about TSW4 and I'm quite interested that lidar data can be used to create routes. So, it's got me thinking if lidar data could be used to create routes in TS Classic is it even possible?

If yes, how can I use it in TS Classic? I wouldn't really need to worry too much about gradients if I could use lidar data for my Australian route projects..

Edit: Incorrectly spelt Lidar, can't change the title :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  2. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

As far as i know, sadly not - it's just too detailed for TS, the terrain for TS1 is limited to the 8m squares sadly (I've asked before :) )

• Like Like x 3
  3. I did search the forums, I think it's because I was spelling 'lidar' wrong that I couldn't find anything LOL
    Thanks for the heads up! This is just another turn off for the TS Classic/TSW franchise for me. Trainz is just winning my heart. HD Terrain, Australian content and so much more that both TS Classic/TSW is missing out on by a long shot.

4. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

you have to remember though that the game engine is old - and even then the terrain system is from MSTS if i remember correctly or at least similar to. (I did find out that the Game Engine was called "Hercules" but other than that there seems to be nothing about it on the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MSTS, Trainz, RS/RW/TS20xx/TS Classic and TSW all share the exact same terrain in the hgt format including all payware routes ;)

I thought that RS/RW/TS20xx/TS Classic/TSW franchises were created using Unreal Engine?.. Hmm!!! I know that MSTS used a very old game engine as well as the original Trainz editions, I think Trainz has upgraded their game engine to something like Unity, could be wrong...

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

TSW was created using the Unreal Engine but none of the others as they are the same thing with a different name

• Like Like x 1
  7. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

The first point - they do - but TSW can use more detailed terrain that TS1 can't, and nope RS to TS Classic has always been the same game engine (I've been told it's called "Hercules" but that's literally all i know about it - it was most likely a Kuju in house game engine that has been used for a couple of games but other than that i know nothing.

As for Trainz - you can't just swap a game engine like that - it would have to be a brand new game - old content would not be copied across if that were the case. (hence the reason for TSW being a new game for Unreal :) )

• Like Like x 2
  8. Oh! Thanks :)

9. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Incorrect
    From Trainz A New Era (TANE) A brand new game engine, developed from the ground up was utilised. Backward compatibility with older assets being one of the main aims of N3V, when developing TANE.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Johnno124

Johnno124 Active Member

For someone who seems to spend alot of time complaining about how bad the TSC engine is, Why don't you just do what you keep saying you will and leave. You are clearly saying that Trainz is Better, So do us all a favour and pop on over there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

I stand corrected :) but if they've made their own game engine I guess that makes more sense, but what i said about pre build game engines though like Unreal, those wouldn't be able to have the backwards compatibility (easily) )

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  12. KrisKol

KrisKol Active Member

They do have their own Engine. Its not as good as TS Classic or TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dolanbaker

dolanbaker Active Member

In theory, it should be possible to import the Lidar data into something like Blender and export a model with the detailed contours for terrain in the immediate vicinity of the station or similar feature that has terrain that it not possible to replicate using the original DEM data.
    I have created a couple of terrain models on the route as it wasn't possible to get the terrain to look right, would be better if the lidar data can be imported into blender though.

Anyone know if that is possible? what format is the lidar data.

• Like Like x 2
  14. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Correct, the good thing about Trainz is N3V/Auran retains backward compatibility with assets pre-TANE. I haven't played Trainz in years but have noted it's progression over the years. I feel TSC and TSW have more realistic routes and physics compared to Trainz. Each simulator is good in it's own regard. I usually go back and forth between TSC and TSW and am satisfied

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lidar data is LAZ format, I've downloaded some Australian data.

• Like Like x 1
  16. :):)

• Like Like x 1
  17. dolanbaker

dolanbaker Active Member

In answer to my own question, yes it is possible to create very accurate terrain from LIidar data, but is does require several steps to get the terrain into TSC and then there is the issue of adding foliage and the fact that you can fly straight through it (is there a way to make assets "solid"?).
    Using Lidar to create terrain is possible, but really needs to be done first, here are a couple of screenshots of a piece of terrain I generated for Birdbrook (disused) station. I have placed the terrain on the correct place but raised a few metres to see the alignment with the train Sim terrain that was imported as per the developers guide and modified for the route.

I would suggest limiting it's use to areas of "interesting" terrain that are difficult to reproduce with Train sim tools
    20240627114038_1.jpg 20240627114051_1.jpg 20240627114101_1.jpg 20240627114122_1.jpg .

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. dolanbaker

dolanbaker Active Member

I have created a short video showing the Lidar imported terrain

Train Simulator classic terrain is limited to a horizontal resolution of only 8 metres, this leaves some cuttings or embankments looking very "blocky" As an alternative to using Lofts, I have been experimenting with uploading Scenery created from Lidar images, these have a horizontal resolution of around 1.5m. While it provides a far better representation of the embankments & cuttings along the track, it does require a lot of work to get the tracks perfectly aligned to the terrain and then the terrain would need to be correctly textured. The Terrain scenery would need additional work in Blender or whatever your favorite 3D editor is to create the best results. The Lidar source data can be retieved from the Defra Survey Data Download website and converted using the QGIS desktop application, there are several youtube videos explaining the process of exporting the Lidar data and importing into Blender, then you can export into .igs format for train simulator classic using the same process as for all other scenery models. I would recommend editing and painting the model before importing into train sim and trying to map the tracks in as the trackbed is quite distorted in places.

• Like Like x 1