Jr East - Keihin-tohoku Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by fabdiva, May 4, 2020.

1. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

The Keihin-Tohoku Line (京浜東北線, Keihin-Tōhoku-sen) is a local train line serving central Tokyo and the neighbouring prefectures of Saitama and Kanagawa, including Saitama City in the north and Kawasaki and Yokohama in the south.
    4869870_orig.png
    [​IMG]

The line between Omiya and Yokohama is around 60km long, though many trains continue onto the Negishi Line for an additional 20km to Ofuna.

The route is very busy with trains running every 5 minutes off peak and every 2-3 mins at peak times, some trains operate as 'Express' or 'Rapid' services and omit a few stations in Central Tokyo where the Yamanote line runs parallel.

Sights on Route
    [​IMG]
    Minato Mirai in Yokohama

[​IMG]
    Tokyo Tower near Hamamatsucho

[​IMG]
    Tokyo Station and Marunouchi

[​IMG]
    Akihabara - Tokyo's 'electric town' - home to Arcades, Electronic stores, Anime Goods and um.. Maid Cafés

[​IMG]
    Ueno Park next to Ueno station

[​IMG]
    Saitama Super Arena next to Saitama-Shintoshin station.

Rolling Stock

The line uses JR East E233 Series, variants of this type also operate on some of the neighbouring lines so with minor modifications can be used to bulk out the traffic and give an overall feeling of busyness - Obviously it's going to be hard to include everything but 3 variants of the same basic train would offer a little more variety.

The key variants to include are
    E233-1000
    [​IMG]
    There are 82 10 car E233 sets dedicated to the Keihin-Tohoku line. These have a metro interior of longitudinal seating and 4 doors per side for fast loading. They are fitted with D-ATC In-Cab signalling.

[​IMG]

E233-3000
    [​IMG]
    This is the outer suburban flavour of the E233, it comes in 5 and 10 car versions and is a common sight on the lines running parallel to the Keihin-Tohoku line in 10 or 10+5 car formation. It has a modified interior with some seating in bays, toilets in some cars and 10 car sets have two double deck Green cars (First class).

E233-6000
    [​IMG]
    These are very similar to the Keihin-Tohoku variant, but are 8 car - they are mainly seen around Yokohama

I did consider suggesting the Saikyo line variant (10 car metro, green stripe), but that would only be seen around Akabane but if the Saikyo line requested by someone else happens then some drop in AI ;)

Low detail AI only stock
    These are more for Atmosphere both around Hamamatsucho and Shimbashi stations - I was thinking a similar thing to the Wuppertal Schwebebahn models.
    [​IMG]
    Yurikamone - Automated people mover.

[​IMG]
    Tokyo Monorail.

Future Expansions
    This route would offer a good foundation for other routes in the Tokyo area

Yamanote Line

As this route includes about half of the Yamanote Circular line (between Shinagawa and Tabata it offers cross platform interchange at most stations), it could be a good starting point for a future Yamanote Line route DLC. With the Yamanote that would add the E235 trains to the mix, which are probably the biggest omission I've had to make.

Shinkansen
    While I don't propose including any Shinkansen stock in this pack, the line does include the Shinkansen stations at Omiya, Tokyo and Shinagawa (at Ueno the Shinkansen is underground) and a significant chunk of the urban approaches, so if either a JR East or JR Central Shinkansen route were to happen in the future there is a foundation to build on.

Thanks for reading :)

Edit: 5/5/20 - Fix broken map link

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
  2. JoeKrazy

JoeKrazy New Member

I agree. TSW should really add some Japanese routes. I hope they add them some day because the only good Japanese train game I have is BVE5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fabdiva

Found a link of a full end to end run from Ofuna to Omiya

• Like Like x 2
  4. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Absolutely this is an incredible proposal and certainly should something looked at as it provides a significant amount of foundation for a Yamanote Line route.

Here are some blueprints for the E233 series I have collected;
    233fig300n.jpg
    233fig200n.jpg
    E233fig81n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. fabdiva

Wow! I hope that would be a great help to the modellers - Thank you for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  6. fabdiva

Found a webcam overlooking Hamamatsucho station (Best viewed late evening/early morning UK time)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Scenes of rolling stock of Keihin-Tohoku and other lines, including some Shinkansen, at Yūrakuchō Station last month, when some Yamanote Line rolling stock was redirected in the direction due to renovation works at Shibuya:

8. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Yes please. I'd love to see a Japanese commuter route. I owned quite a few for TSC and they really offered a change in scenery from the usual stuff. :)

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring It On and for starters you might as well and in older electric multiple units as the downloadable content freight JR EH500 locomotive. Requires training centre to get 1.067m tracks which is also compatible with Rhb 1m trains since current trains are 1.435m. The way it will look Cape Gauge inside Standard Gauge making it dual gauge.