Jr East Railway Museum- Want To Have A Look Round?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Stephen Crofts, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I'm leaving Japan to come back to the UK after working here for 7 years. So I took myself off to the JR East railway museum for a last chance to look around before I go. It's the Oomiya Railway Museum in Saitama, just north of Tokyo on the Shonan-Shinjuku line, and I believe it has some connection the the NRMY.

There's a lot of activity on the forums here for Japanese routes so I thought some folk might be interested to see some of the rolling stock by way of proxy so I've made this public access album.
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0Y5idkMwG5MM28

I couldn't possibly hope to comment on each vehicle, but I've shared what I do know. But there is a brilliant app the museum has made which is available in English and details some of the locos quite well with additional photos. If you're keen to know more let me know by DM and I can point you to the link for the app (because I'm not sure if links to app stores breaches forum rules)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

It's on my to-do list - though would depend somewhat on mine and my friend's plans for our week in Tokyo

3. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

This is pretty cool! I've always wanted to go and visit Japan. I do enjoy Japanese trains quite a bit. I really like the Kuha 481 as well as the EF64.

4. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

It's a brilliant place. The intriguing thing to me is seeing the scope of rail fandom- yes there are young families running around, but there were also a good number of women not in the role of child-carer taking photos and a keen interest.

JR's comprehensive emphasis on inspiring a new generation of future careers with simulators was also really striking.

EF64 was a one off visitor, I was lucky to see it, it's such an iconic vehicle here. The variety of rolling stock is something I shall miss on returning to the UK (that and cheap tickets and to-the-second punctuality!)