Jr East Yokohama Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dinosbacsi, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I decided to make this route suggestion as it seems like it hasn't been done before.

Short introduction
    [​IMG]

The Yokohama Line is a 42.6 km (26.5 mi) long commuter railway line of the East Japan Railway Company, connecting Yokohama and Hachiōji, Tokyo.

It features 20 stations, double tracks all the way and is obviously electrified, served by multiple unit commuter trains, as most similar lines in Japan.
    [​IMG]

The Route

I'm not going to list all 20 stations, as that's pretty easy to find info anyway and nobody would read through it. But here is a basic map of the route, the eastern end being Higashi-Kanagawa Station in Yokohama, and the western end being Hachiōji Station in Tokyo, a station which also connects to the Chuo-Main Line.
    [​IMG]

Scenery wise the route features suburban parts and highrise areas as well, passing through them at ground level, sunken and elevated sections, as expected of Japan and it's hilly terrain, giving a nice variety.

It also meets up with a few other railway lines along the way at different stations, but generally at only shorter sections, so even if traffic on those lines would not be modelled, it still wouldn't look too lifeless.

Generally the stations along the line are from 2-3kms away from each other, which gives opportunity for frequent stopping, but still allows for getting up to some speeds. I don't have info, but I suppose general speed along the line is 60-80 km/h, as it is with most similar routes. It uses standard japanese signalling and ATC systems.

Rolling stock
    The route nowdays is served by JR E233-6000 series EMUs, that were introduced in 2014 onto the line.
    [​IMG]
    Previously it was served by JR 205 series EMUs, which I believe were mostly withdrawn from the line in 2014. But they might still be in use to some extend, I'm not sure.
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, if the recreation of the route would be set in 2014, for example, both rolling stock could easily be present, giving a nice variety between older and modern stock. The 205 is obviously a well known classic amongs japanese commuter EMUs, they served pretty much every major railway line across Japan. Both trains are painted with the two-tone green stripes on the sides.

Were we to go back in time even further, before the 90s, the line was served by JR 103 series EMUs as well, both early types and later high-cab types.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Though going back in time that much might be an overkill, but I guess it was worth mentioning.

Services
    Trains run local and rapid services along the line with quite decent frequency, as expected from a line like this. Much more couldn't be said about them I suppose.

But anyway, here is a nice cab ride video, from 2014, showing off the line and both the 205 and E233 rolling stock.

Recreation in TSW
    I think technically the line would fit Train Sim World quite well. Length wise it's nothing problematic, neither it is traffic wise and regarding the number of rolling stock, if we exclude traffic from the other railway lines it meets along the way. With a service being around 50 minute from one end to another, it could also meed the standard of being beither too short or too long.

As mentioned above, setting it in 2014 would be the best choice, as it would allow both the E233 series and the 205 series to run on the line. Ideally the route could be released with both, or release with only one, and the other being a separate add-on later on. Both being quite widely used EMUs in Japan, they could later be re-used in recreating other lines from Japan as well.

Generally the line could also be a great introduction of japanese commuter routes into Train Sim World, due to it's general commuter route feel, but also by not being either too rural or too crowded and big city like

Anyway that's all the info I decided to gather up for now, if anyone has some more insight that might be good to know, feel free to share. Would also like to see what others think about it..

• Like Like x 21
  2. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Bet the timetable would be tight! :o
    Sounds fun!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

4. Dinosbacsi

• Like Like x 1
  5. Commiee

I like that the E233 has this big clear windshield instead of it being trisected by a gangway.

6. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

I feel like whenever Japan makes its debut on TSW it will be a bullet train. But I would definitely like to have a commuter route like this

7. Commiee

A nice little look at two of the crossings of the line in Kanagawa, from a YT channel that creates such videos:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dinosbacsi

Yeah, the visibility must be pretty good from the cab of the E233. Though I personally like the look of EMUs with gangways on the front as well.

9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and if this were to be during to rush hour expect crush loaded trains standing room only with adverse signaling conditions on this route. This route forms a section of Yokohama to Osaka via Chuo Main Line Nagoya Japanese Alps. The fastest way between the two cities is Toikaido Shinkansen.

10. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

This route is a good suggestion whenever they create a Japanese Railway line for TSW 2

11. jackmiller1234567890

jackmiller1234567890 Well-Known Member

looks great, be great if dgt takes that step and builds something that is not american or european