Jungfraubahn And Wengernalpbahn

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trigzd, Aug 14, 2020.

1. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

As far as I'm aware, train sim (of any year) is yet to get a cog railway of any kind, I think a perfect candidate for such a thing would be the Jungfraubahn and Wengernalpbahn. Perhaps the following could be considered:
    Kleine Scheidegg - Lauterbrunnen (around 30 mins)
    Kleine Scheidegg - Grindelwald (around 30 mins)
    Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch (around 10 mins)

The AI would be interesting with it often having two trains travelling in the same direction on one section of the track and having to pass another two trains in a siding (though this would perhaps present some issues with scripting). Stock is exclusively electric with an interesting mix of old and new stock. Some reference material:

I think this might make the most of the game engine having something of a slower pace with wonderful vistas.

• Like Like x 3
  2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Jungfrau Bahn is about 45 mins end to end, of which 30 mins are in tunnel. Up hill the trains just have two speed settings 12km/h and 25km/h. The WAB is better for scenery but again it's full power going up, and motor braking on the downhill.

The scenery is great though ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Really good info. The scenery is awesome, and it'd be great to have such a route in TSW, but driving the trains would need to have a little more interaction. Aren't there any other similar routes that offer both a good scenery, and a little more interesting train operation?

4. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

You are right with regards to more interaction needed, a lot of the cog railways are actually mainly steam operated I think so this somewhat rules out a lot of them for TSW as of right now. That said, not geographically far away from my suggestions is the Berner Oberland Bahn which is only partially rack and pinion, this I presume has far more interest in terms of interaction, and with the train splitting/rejoining at Zweilutschinen could make for some interesting operation. Bonus points for the inclusion of the Schynige Platte Railway as well as that's mainly electric as well. This said, whether this is a similar situation in terms of how the trains are driven I do not know.

5. fabdiva

In the same area there is the Berner Oberland Bahn (BOB), that runs from Interlaken to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. Trains typically run combined to the junction of the two branches (up to 16 cars) then half runs up each branch. Both branches have two rack sections up to 12% - 1 in 8. They've been modernising over the last 15 years, so it's now tractor EMU hauling some push pull stock. It used to be railcars hauling standard stock, and they'd have to run round the train at the terminuses.

Schynige Platte is another full power up hill, and braking on the descent - the locos even drop the pantograph completely on the way down.

Zentralbahn would be a longer run of about 80km with some lengthy rack sections over the Brunig Pass, as well as locals around Interlaken and frequent S-bahn services at the Luzern end to supplement the hourly InterRegio over the pass.

IIRC there are only 2 non electric cog railways in Switzerland: Brienz Rothorn and Furka Mountain Route. Both are steam worked

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. fabdiva

BOB Formation - Mix of 2005 3 section low floor driving trailers, 2017 Tractor EMU, some 1970s coaches, and a 1980s Railcar

[​IMG]

Zentralbahn Abeh 161 and 150 working the IR over the pass
    die-zentralbahn-abeh-150-mit-1156119[1].jpg

7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The cogwheel probably would need a whole new physics system to be made. Considering how adhesion is one of TSW2s main selling points, I doubt we'll see a cogwheel railway soon.

Would be awesome. But I said the same in the Train Simulator forums and we haven't seen any cogwheel railway for Train Simulator either.

• Like Like x 1