Just Trains Extending Dtg's Southampton - Bournemouth Route.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ex_railwayman, Nov 21, 2022.

1. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. gee

gee Member

It looks stunning so far

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I saw the announcement. It looks like a great idea. I hope it runs as a single seamless route and is available on Steam, but I doubt it. Will probably be exclusive. Basing on the Mayflower extension.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Southampton or rather Redbridge to Salisbury not that far though. Shame they didn't push on to Westbury. And this looks like another JT project where you will need to own or buy another route to run this one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Tom and the team at Just Trains work extremely hard to make their route designs look very realistic. Certainly a buy for me.

• Like Like x 3
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Its being advertised as an EXTENSION so you will need the base route that this extends.
    Salisbury to Redbridge is 22 miles, Romsey to Eastleigh is 7mi22ch, Eastleigh to Northam CS is 5mi 59ch
    The base route is extended by around 35 miles.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Looks interesting but as it's not an area of interest for me I'll wait to see what others say when it's out.
    If I was their accountant I would have suggested Bournemouth to Weymouth, Southampton to Woking or Portsmouth maybe. But I welcome any new additions to the game.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cyclone

There is already a project underway for this. I am not sure the status of that project.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

Yes it does seem a bit "low hanging fruit" TBH, though I guess there are already a couple of freeware projects that cover down to Weymouth so maybe they wanted to avoid duplication. Besides, any commercial attempt at running to Weymouth needs to go back to the early 80s when it was Cromptons on TC units, Duffs on the Pooles and the Weymouth Quay Line was still operational in the summer. That would be a Day 1 purchase for me in either TSC or TSW.

• Like Like x 4
  10. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

I don't know if it is mine you're referring to I am making the extension to Weymouth which is progressing ( if a bit slowly at the moment). Some grabs from the Weymouth end.
    wey1.jpg

wey3.jpg
    wey2.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  11. OldVern

• Like Like x 1
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Shame that a proper 4TC, and a 4Rep :) , has not been made for TSC and a bodged emu has to be used.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. I had hoped AP would have done a 4REP to follow on from their 4CEP model, together with a 4TC. I loved the sound of the 4REPs and they were very quick even with the usual 4REP+4TC+4TC formation.

14. Cyclone

I am referring to a full Waterloo to Weymouth intending to utilize existing DLC.

Nice shots, BTW!

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

4Cig/Vep etc 4x 250hp motors = 1,000hp
    4Rep 8x 400hp motors = 3,200hp - about the same as a Deltic :o

• Like Like x 1
  16. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

In my previous post I was going to say a 4REP was "the Deltic of the EMUs" but thought I might be shot down by the Deltic fans!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

As a lover of Deltics, I totally understand if you prefer something equally iconic in a favoured region. If you said 195s were better than Deltics I would probably respond in a that would get me a suspension on this forum.

In response to Peter's comment about the 4-TC and 4-REPs in TSC. It's purely speculation based on Richard Armstrong's comments on streams but he has little love for new-gen trains apart from the Stadler Flirts (which ATS are releasing soon) and he also looks to create rolling stock for more up-to-date TSC routes. So I think a lot of his future projects will be first-gen DMUs (for the sudden explosion in Cross-Country routes released and upcoming) and DC slam-door stock (Chatham Line, various SWML releases, inevitable BML update) as he's got a good sounds library for both, just a feeling though.

• Like Like x 4
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I think he recently(ish) recorded another set of class 117 sounds. I would love to see some more first generation stuff from, some of the loco's and units are quite old now and even sound and enhancement packs don't hide that fact totally. Some more first generation DMU's would get me very excited.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  19. ex_railwayman

To be fair Richard doesn't create the models, does he, he only provides the sound elements of the DLC packs and scenarios, etc. You'd need to ask Waggonz, Rivet Games or SkyHook to build a 4REP and 4TC for TSClassic, otherwise we'll never have what us veterans want in the game.

Cheerz. Steve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. theorganist

I have seen a Facebook page called something like radical mesh or ultimate mesh, amongst other games they seem to have been making trains for TSC. I don't know if they provide the base and others add to it, I don't know how the process works? They have renders of an Ivatt 2mt 2-6-0, class 25 and a DMU on the page and also the Ivatt 2-6-2T which I think was a SHG/SSS/VW collaboration.

I am looking forward to seeing what else AP come up with.

I assume this route would provide somewhere to run the AP class 205 as we don't really have many suitable full routes for it?

21. ex_railwayman

Yes, it's Radical Mesh, Peter, but, he hasn't posted anything on his Facebook page for well over 6 months, unsure what's happening with those models he has showcased.

And the 'Thumpers' were at home on the Salisbury to Reading services, Portsmouth Harbour to Southampton and up to Winchester, as well as into deepest Kent from Ashford to Hastings.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. theorganist

Thanks Steve, yes radical mesh, you are right they haven't posted anything for some time. I hope they are still operating. I am sure SSS did say an Ivatt 2mt tender engine would follow the tank engine at some point.

I do recall the Thumpers being seen at Reading thinking about it. I am surprised no one has done Ashford to Hastings, I did wonder if the freeware Tunbridge to Hastings might be extended in that direction one day.

I am sure then a NSE class 205 wouldn't look out of place on this route despite the modern signals.