Ldg51-b Switching At Potash

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by rocky.28965, Aug 12, 2021.

1. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

Working my way through the Cain Creek timetable scenarios.
    Cannot get the slow speed to work for loading on the AC4400CW.
    I've searched for solutions online but none seem to work for me.
    I had it working on the tutorial no problem.
    Is there a bug in this ?

2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Does the AC4400CW have a slow speed setting? Skyhook's otherwise highly detailed users' manual doesn't mention it. If this engine is so equipped, I would expect it to be controlled via the Integrated Function Display and some experimentation with this might prove worthwhile.

I managed this loading task by following the following steps:

1. Approach loading point slowly (no more than 5-6 MPH). Save progress at this point so that is loading is not successful you won't have to begin the scenario all over again.
    2. Before lead engine reaches loading tower, press 8 key and adjust view so that you're looking back toward the cars to be loaded and the loading "pipe" is visible.
    3. As the 3rd engine approaches the loading tower, lower speed to 1.5 to 1.8 MPH.
    4. Watch the loading indicators carefully and control speed so that 100% is reached well before the pipe reaches the end of the car.

If a car is less than 95% loaded, the entire loading process will fail and the next instruction will not appear. Because of the careful attention required to load successfully, saving during the process is tricky at best.

I've always enjoyed loading activities in both TS and TSW, but they aren't everyone's favorite -- keep your fingers on the power and brake handle controls and be patient.

One final thought: although the TSW2 version of the CSX route does not come with a users' manual, that package does include loading activities using the AC440CW and I think there's either a loading tutorial or some instructions within the activities themselves. I'll check on that and post again here if I find something.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

AHA! Elementary, my dear Rocky, once you've discovered the loading tutorial included in the TSW2 CSX Heavy Haul DLC.

As I suspected, slow speed is controlled using the Integrated Function Display. There are 2 of these in the cab of the AC440CW and either one can be used. With apologies to Skyhook Games, here's what they look like:

upload_2021-8-12_10-31-12.png

Clicking on any of the keys located in two rows at the bottom of the panel (numbers 5 - 22) activates the number or function associated with that key. Here's how to activate slow speed:
    1. Use the right or left arrow keys to focus on either of the IFD panels.
    2. Click on Key (# 18 in the picture), which corresponds to the Speed Control indicator on the IFD's screen.
    3. Enter the Slow Speed Control function by clicking on F2 (# 6 in picture), the Slow Speed Control key.
    4. Press the 6 key (#19 in picture) to set Target Speed to 2.
    5. Press the F1 key (#5 key in picture) to turn on Slow Speed.
    You're ready to begin loading.
    The CSX coal loading tutorial does not mention how to exit slow speed, but pressing that F1 key on the IFD screen again should turn slow speed off.

I'm going to give this a whirl to make sure it works in the Cane Creek route.

================================
    EDIT: This method worked, but only with my favorite control, Banking Com, turned on. In the AC440CW, as in other engines, this control is on the radio, located above the driver's windshield. Once the Slow Speed control is set up and turned on, getting this very long train moving takes more throttle than you might expect and it's necessary to change the throttle setting (for me, between N3 and N5) as loading continues, but all cars did load 100%. When loading completed, I stopped the train and turned off the Slow Speed Control before proceeding to the final stop point.

[I've prepared a brief PDF instruction manual for this, but it's too large to be uploaded here -- how can I make it available to forum members?]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

Technically, the timetable activities are sessions, not scenarios -- a bit of tricky terminology that DTG has several times altered -- who knows why.