Lgv Méditerranée: Marseille - Avignon Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by gam#4876, Jun 2, 2021.

1. gam#4876

gam#4876 New Member

I'm about to decide to buy LGV Méditerranée: Marseille - Avignon Route What are the advantages and disadvantages of this route?

2. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

This is a long (90Km+) and fast route. It has 3 stations. You will start at one end and run at 300-320Km/h 95% of the time. I know there are other high speed trains in TSW (ICE, Javelin) but I think you do not get the same experience as you do here. Since the train goes so fast, the scenery graphics quality is lower than in most other routes so everything can load fast enough. I would say this is the route with the least micro-stutters in all TSW (keep in mind I have a HEDT platform PC). Another key element of this route is that you will need to perform the voltage change procedure near Marseille (Matt did an excellent video on how to do all of this in this video and the TGV tutorial is currently in the roadmap so should be coming soon). This DLC also has a quite detailed manual (wish other DLCs had the same).

The route has many slopes (many of them 3%+), so you will need to manually adjust your speed as the automatic speed control will not be enough. Do not think that since the train goes at 300+ Km/h most of the time and it has speed control you will have nothing to do. You will be busy enough.

The route has only one train, the TGV, but it is highly detailed and, for me, the sound is very good. The cab is also very well done, and I think most of the important features are implemented (you can perform the full brake test, do the TVM-430 self test, change the line voltage ...). It also includes all security systems (TVM-430, KVB, Crocodile, VACMA). Most of the security systems work fine, specially TVM-430 which is the one you will use 90% of the time. I have the feeling KVB has some bugs, but it will not cause you any trouble and is only used in a few Kms near Marseille.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Advantages:
    • Great train, both looks and sounds, easily one of the best models in the game.
    • Great route, it's obviously built for speed but has some very unique elements (see Inkar's comment above) that make it different to other routes. If you like using off the rails mode in scenario designer, it's one of the best routes for putting locos through their paces.
    • Length of route, although it's over quickly due to the speed you travel at, it does feel like you travel a long distance and cover a lot of ground.

Disadvantages:
    • Only one train, which can get boring.
    • Marseille and the conventional lines leading to it feel lackluster due to the above issue, there is only so many TGV services so after a while the station and its approach start to feel far too quiet.
    • No variation in services - This is probably the biggest disadvantage, it is high speed long distance services only, you will be doing practically the same thing, maybe give or take a stop at Aix-En-Provence, every time you play.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Well executed route and loco but gets old fast. Maybe if the route gets longer or the older tgv gets added it's worth it. But they really nailed the loco on this one. I drive the M6 HVR and the cabine is really similar so i was impressed how accurate it was in game.

5. aglomarsale

aglomarsale Well-Known Member

After more than 60 hours of driving in LGV, these are my honest thoughts:

The loco sounds, looks and feels realistic. The stations themselves are great. However, the Marseille section is the only part of the route that is detailed very well. The rest of the route is OK, but some parts just look unrealistic and a bit ugly. There's way too many trees in some parts, where in reality there should be shrubs instead.

Overall: Great loco, bad scenery in bits but most of it's fine. And also, after a week or two of playing the route, it starts to get boring. Very boring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

Oh sad.

I would love to buy it but it seems I have to wait for a good price in sale.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I didn't buy the route for TSW as I already own the route in Train Simulator, and I doubt the TSW version is really any different: It's a one trick pony that's pretty good in that one trick.

8. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. box215

box215 Active Member

This route is a hidden gem
    Using the scenario planner, you can have good fun pushing off the rails trains to their max speed and beyond...all without ever speeding (except in the Marseille section)
    Good way to complete all your route miles with the different locos (and quickly, too)

• Helpful Helpful x 1