PlayStation Lgv Mediterranee Braking

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richard cooper, Jan 21, 2021.

1. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I started high speed rain last night in lgv Mediterranee. When approaching Avignon, how do you slow down to come to a controlled stop. Do you use power handle decrease in conjunction with train brake lever or just one system. When I slowed using power handle and then pressed left shoulder to bring train break lever in to effect, the gauge on the hud went crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

Electric brake to 100% until about 100kmph. Then I use the airbrake with the electric brake till about 50kmph. Once I'm below 30kmph I only use the airbrake. I usually leave the airbrake around 4 bar of pressure until I'm stopped. Using max electric brake with max airbrake at high speed will cause the train to slide and will actually increase stopping distance.

3. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’ve never been able to judge slowing into Avignon correctly yet, I’m either too fast and the wheels slip or I’m too far the other way and end up crawling into the station. What is the suggested speed to enter a station when driving the TGV?

4. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

Thanks Fitz, can you just confirm electric brake is power handle and air brake is train brake lever. I'm sure your info will help.

5. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes the power handle is the electric brake and the train brake lever is the air brake. When you move that you see the air pressure gauge on the left side of the cab move between 5 and 3 bar. 5 is fully release and 3 is fully applied.

I brake from around 1.5km out at line speed with full electric brake and once down to about 100kmph I add in the air brake too. I enter the station platform at around 50-60kmph. You should be down to 80 on the approach slip to the station.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Some drivers enter stations at 100 kph ( not for Marseille of course ) but if you want to stop smoothly I recommend you to enter it at 60-80 but having rode on a TGV cab the brakes are really underpowered in TSW

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

From the Steam manual of this route (page 25):

Begin approximately 1.6 to 2.4 km (1 to 1.5 miles) from the station by applying a 1 Bar reduction with the Train Brake Lever.

As a general rule, you should always aim to be at no more than 40 km/h (24 mph) depending on the platform length.

As your speed reduces below 10 km/h (6 mph), move the Train Brake Lever to 1 Bar to ensure the stop is smooth and does not introduce a sudden stop as the brake
    pads bind.

Once the train has reached a full stop, move the Train Brake Lever (A3) to 3 Bar to secure the train.