Limited Budget, What Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by casssp, Mar 23, 2021.

1. casssp

casssp Member

Hello!

Because of the covid issue, I am currently on a limited budget but interested in buying a combo of 2 of any items below:
    • West Somerset
    • Tees Valley Line
    • Canadian National Oakville
    • BR Heavy Freight Pack
    • Amtrak SW1000R
    • Caltrain MP36PH-C Baby Bullet
    • LIRR M3 EMU

I currently have the TSW2020 Deluxe with Peninsula, Main Spessart Bahn, Pennine, LIRR, Rapid Transit and NEC. I am waiting the Clinchfield release to be able to get the TSW2 (waiting a sale for TSW2).
    I recognize that TSW is a game that ranges from the most casual to the enthusiastic, and assuming that the collection is made through personal taste, please, could you help me decide? Which combo do you recommend me?

A little about myself:
    • Between casual and enthusiastic, I'm in the middle;
    • I like passenger travel, freight or post office;
    • I don't like to stop all the time (like Rapid Transit), I like to stop just a few times;
    • I don't like Rapid Transit and Main Spessart, and not interested in DLC of the same kind as Rhein Ruhr or Haupstrecke;
    • Yes, I’ve watched a lot of gameplay videos but I can’t decide with 100% firmness.
    Thanks...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Personally I would get the mp36

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I'd recommend Tees Valley and the heavy freight pack for northern transpennine.
    You would need the northern transpennine route though for the heavy freight pack.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Of that list, based on your other notes, I think i'd say the Mp36 was an absolute clear winner - the second choice is more tricky.

I'm going to assume since you don't like "stopping" journeys, that you're not the biggest fan of LIRR, so i'm going to mentally scrub the M3 from your list.

Out of what's left - i'd either go for the Tees Valley or the Heavy Freight Pack. Either are winners in my view - if you want to get more out of NTP because you already enjoy it, then the heavy freight pack is a great choice, the 40 is a treat to drive. If you want to try something a bit different to NTP and get a new route, Tees is probably a good bet.

Hope this helps :)

• Like Like x 11
  5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Baby bullet IMO

• Like Like x 1
  6. casssp

casssp Member

Thank you all!

Hey Matt, I'm actually a fan of LIRR and NEC (I really really like both, honestly it has an impressive look and the experience is very pleasant), in the case of LIRR I always try to get the most express services with the least possible stops. I use a website that was indicated in an another topic. After I started writing and searching for videos and streamings, I ended up realizing that I like USA and British routes better.

I want to expand my experience and I will think carefully about the nominees, MP36, Tees Valley and Heavy Freight Pack...

I will be open to suggestions and opinions, even if it´s not in the list, to hit the trigger in the next few days.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I’d recommend Tees Valley Line

• Like Like x 3
  8. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Ah if you're a fan of the LIRR then i'd probably say Mp36 and M3 then perhaps :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Warning- do not get the Amtrak SW1000R- that's a Northeast Corridor DLC, which means you can't use it in TSW2.
    There is however an MP15DC (basically an update of the same loco) in CalTrain colors for Peninsula Corridor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Oakville! Has the only switchable yard for scenario planner, is fun for freight, and passenger using the planner too. In normal mode it has lots of switching options, the gp9 is unique to the game locomotive wise and is fun to run, the signals are really different from the us routes, and it goes through Bayview Jct!

• Like Like x 2
  11. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I can’t speak for the American routes but Tees Valley comes with heavy freight trains which can be great fun taking over the Northern Transpennine Route with the class 37 in the scenario planner. You also get a pretty decent route to go with it.

West Somerset is very well made but it’s very slow and takes ages to complete. Personally I find it a little too boring.

• Like Like x 3
  12. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Not being a fan of any particular country, I always really enjoyed NTP for its late 70s early 80s look and locomotives. Tees valley set in 1989 really captures the time period well and the route is more of a flat route with gradual grade changes which is a different and fun experience. The class 37 and hauling heavy steel slabs across this route has been some of the most fun I have had, passing all the old industrial plants and working towns along the way. I really would highly recommend it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I'd say get the MP36 and the MP15 for Penn Corridor, as you'll then have a really complete and busy route.

I also really like the TVL, especially with the the Class 31 and Class 20 add-ons

Heavy Freight pack for NTP is also great IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JazzyGeofferz

JazzyGeofferz Member

If you're going from that list I'd say Tees Valley & Heavy Freight based on the stuff you like driving. Keep an eye out for the 31 and 20 for Tees Valley in future as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. casssp

casssp Member

Thank you all so much for your collaboration! Honestly, TSW2020 has been a very pleasant experience for me, mainly NEC, LIRR, Peninsula and Pennine. The other routes (Rapid Transit, Spessart Bahn and Great Western) are beautiful and well made, but I like the ones I mentioned more, because I feel a much more pleasant and immersive experience. It's hard to explain.

I think in the end, the winners were:
    • Tees Valley Line
    • Canadian National Oakville
    • BR Heavy Freight Pack
    • Caltrain MP36PH-C Baby Bullet

I'll wait next Tuesday to see if there are any sale. It hasn't been on the Xbox for a long time. How good it would be if I could buy them all at once!!!

Does the Ruhr-Sieg Nord route pay off?

16. solicitr

RSN is a GREAT route. Especially since the 146 and 185 from MSB layer into it, and the BR 155 and BR 363 are two of the better loco DLCs.

• Like Like x 4
  17. casssp

casssp Member

I came to think of the MP15, but apparently, the Heavy Freight would pay off more... Even so, I will leave it as an option for the future.

I am aware of the incompatibility between NEC and TSW2. A pity not to have at the moment, who knows in the future the route may be reworked from scratch, as I read in the topics spread out there.

18. casssp

casssp Member

Interesting, I will research more about it!

19. casssp

casssp Member

I just finished the GP38 Up2 Northbound Empty Hopper service, the first 4:10 am service on the Peninsula Corridor. Whoa, what a cool service! I am really impressed with the TSW, it is one of the best toys I have ever had in my life! Now I started to think much more seriously about taking the BR Heavy Freight Pack and the Canadian National Oakville at this first moment! And let Caltrain MP36PH-C Baby Bullet and LIRR M3 EMU for the next months...

So I was left with doubts:
    • If I install the BR Heavy Freight Pack, will the route be mixed with passenger and freight trains, as in the Main Spessart? And having to wait for a train or another to continue the route?
    • Does Caltrain MP15DC and Amtrak SW1000R are just a shunters or does it also carry freight?
    • Does the Canadian route have such nice services as the one I just completed?

With my happiness, I see that I will be forced to take the TSW2 just by Clinchfield!!! Let's see, the Spring Sale starts tomorrow, who knows...

What a cool game, DTG! Very good, really very very good! :):):)

20. solicitr

They're both shunters. Be advised: the SW1000R is only for Northeast Corridor, which means you can't use it in TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  21. appledates#4945

That early service with the empty wagons is awesome by the way! Out of those three if your looking for an experience around freight, Canadian OSD features manual loading and unloading of fuel tankers which the services themselves driving empty tanks, pulling into a loading facility, and filling them up I find to be fun, it has a wide variety of freight cars as well. Overall I’d say it has a wide range of services, and even features a free roam scenario that takes place over an interesting connection of tracks. The GP9 and GP38 are used.
    If you enjoy NTP and also enjoy the older style of locomotive and driving experience, The NTP freight pack have some double header and single class 40 services and also allow the class 45 and 47 to haul freight as well as the class 08 to do some shunting services. I enjoyed doing mostly A-B services on this route before the pack and freight definitely added a lot to the already great route.
    The MP15 is mostly used for shunting, but it does have a few freight services. It’s a great locomotive that I enjoy driving and it’s a fun experience but if I was mostly looking for freight services, I’d choose the other two. I hope this helped some what!

• Like Like x 1
  22. casssp

casssp Member

Yes, thanks for letting me know! Too bad, because I really like NEC. Also I will leave the TSW2020 installed just because NEC.

23. casssp

casssp Member

It looks incredible! I´m really seriously considering the Canadian route and the Heavy Freight Pack. I'll wait for the Spring Sale, who knows, maybe I can get these two items and some more, or maybe the TSW2 together.

• Like Like x 1
  24. appledates#4945

I think that’s a great idea and yes I highly recommend getting into TSW2 as soon as you get the chance, especially when it’s on sale. It will open up the scenario planner for you and also brings along adhesion physics and other improvements across all of your content (except NEC and the SW1000 dlc!)

• Like Like x 1
  25. casssp

casssp Member

Well, Spring Sale has arrived and it has nothing for TSW or TSW2 (I'm not surprised). Anyway, based on suggestions and videos, I ended up getting for Canadian Oakville at the first moment and would leave the BR Freight Pack for Trans-Pennine for the next few days.

I just started playing with Oakville and I was absolutely sure I made the right purchase! What an incredible experience it has been! Dude, how cool it is to take and pick up wagons, fill the tanks with Ethanol, etc! I was more sure that not only the BR Freight Pack, but also Clinchfield will be a guaranteed purchase as soon as I get my hands on TSW2, and still have the Sand Patch Grade!

And because I like a lot NEC, LIRR, Peninsula and Penine style passenger routes, I was thinking, how cool it would be to have an American subway :D

Well, thanks to everyone for their contribution and thanks to DTG for developing this game!:)

• Like Like x 1
  26. appledates#4945

Yay! I’m really glad your enjoying Oakville subdivision. It has some great services and the yard and track at the southern part of the track make for some trips. I agree Clinchfield is going to be a day 1 buy for anyone that’s a fan of freight, or just a fan of TSW in general. I highly recommend keeping an eye out for a TSW2 sale, as you get to bring over all of your content (except NEC) and the unreal engine upgrade makes the experience more enjoyable and it also makes freight a lot more in-depth as the adhesion makes moving heavy trains a little more challenging. Really glad your enjoying it!

• Like Like x 1
  27. casssp

casssp Member

True, I am very happy with the game and with the purchase of the dlc!

I don't know what adhesion means, but I will search to find out...

28. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Grip/traction/friction.

• Like Like x 1
  29. appledates#4945

What adhesion does is it simulates wheel slip depending on track conditions. For example if it’s snowing and you tried to get a heavy freight train up a steep grade you wouldn’t be able to put it in full power as it would cause the wheels to slip. Same thing for stopping, if you apply for example the emergency brake while going down hill, your wheels would lock up and you would literally just slide on the rails. It adds a depth of immersion that TSW was missing.

• Like Like x 1
  30. casssp

casssp Member

This must be great! Although I find it fun to come with top speed and hit full brake at once when I'm not playing seriously, I believe it should be much more interesting and challenging with real thing, and now the sand will have a real use. Definitely I need to buy TSW2 as soon as I can!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021